Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-17-2004, 04:34 PM   #61  
Oooo Silly Me!

Hello Everyone…

RalphMarie - your recipes sound great! Do you have anything that doesn’t require too much coffee? That double strength coffee sounds like it would knock me on my rear heheheh! I don’t drink coffee but I’m hooked on Starbucks Mocha Fraps. Oh I also wanted to ask if I could quote your post explaining the zigzag diet on the weight loss and depression forum daily chat. I think it’s great info.

PkWolfie – I do the same thing as you. I keep track of my calories and activities on fitday.com and use calorieking.com to find foods that I can’t find on fitday or even the actual website for the restaurant (if they do not have nutritional breakdowns for their food) Do you find Calorieking to be accurate? I found a couple of subway sandwiches on there but it seemed like the calories were a bit high on it compared to their website.

NancyDrew – I joined fitday.com about a week and half ago. I love it as well! I never thought keeping track of my food and activities would be something I would do. This site makes it easy and I love the charts and reports you can get from it!

I had a great weekend, I did okie on my eating and managed to control myself. Weekends are my weakness! I woke up with a sore back this morning and I have to bowl league tonight… *sniffle* I’m doing some very light stretches with it. I hope it’s just a stiff back.

Oh wanted to ask another thing...

Have any of your ladies tried that air purifier made by Sharper Image. The Quadra Air Purifier. The one that has no fillters and uses very little electricity? It was supposedly given good remarks from the Asthma and Allergy Association and since I have bad asthma, my mother purchased me one for my birthday the other day (still waiting for it to arrive). I was just wondering what anyone has one and what they think about it or maybe even heard about it.

Thanks...
Sue...

Have a great day everyone!

Sue…

Last edited by SueMarie301; 05-17-2004 at 04:46 PM.
SueMarie301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 06:38 PM   #62  
Newlywed at 45!!!!

Hiya...
Sue marie...I would just go ahead and make the recipe with regular strength coffee or leave it out and double the cocoa in the mocha one.

You may quote anything I say here..if you think its worth quoting..lol

On the purifier, I have no experience...but I would try a google search and type in the name of it and then the word "review" and see what you come up with, hope this helps.

Happy you had a good weekend, I had my regular pizza night and drank 4 home made wine coolers....we'll see Wed. how it goes.
I'm sitting here eating my brown rice, cauliflower,squash,green onion,garlic stirfry...mmmm

Till then or when,
Diane
ralphmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 08:26 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 185/185/145

Height: 5'4"

what a happy thread we have today! Sounds like everybody had a great weekend, and you are all just brimming with great ideas....perhaps spring has sprung, afterall!! I too love to paint, and sew. I just learned how to sew last year, really, but I love it! I need to get going on some baby projects for an upcoming babyshower, and new nephew on the way. Not to mention, My daughters love those flouncy little 80's style skirts made out of striped knits that they have at Target, I am hoping to be able to make them a few of those with fabric I already have. I love to paint furniture. I did a dresser for my son's nursery last year that matches with some paintings my brother did for me. My current project is a toy chest. I was going to do it to match the dresser, but his room is so small that the dresser is in the closet, and there is no room for the toybox, so now I'm thinking about making it to match another room, since it is easily disguised as a bench. We'll see, I haven't decided yet.

I have done well at eating little things throughout the day today, but they could have been healthier, tomorrow will be better. I'm sure I'm well within my calorie range, but just didn't get much other than maybe fiber today. ( I made oatmeal cookies with raisins and craisins in them...mmmm) I did drink some milk today, I have been WAY low on my calcium intake, hopefully that will help. I am remembering to take my vitamin everyday, which I normally hate to do, they upset my stomache so much. I have found taking it at night works better for me for some reason...weird!

Well, everybody, have a great night, and a really great day tomorrow! Keep up the good work!

lisa
favepairobluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 08:35 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 185/185/145

Height: 5'4"

Sue, I have a great list of foods to eat that help with mild depression. I rec'd it by email one week when I had happened to have had a really great week. I had just felt so together, and happy, and content, which is unusual for me. When I read the food list, I realized that week I had eaten just about everything on the list at one point or another! So, now I make it a point to get those foods into my body, and I am doing so much better than I had been. ( Hubby is too, but he refuses to think that he needs it...lol...he just eats it becuase I give it to him, but he has been so much less contentious, I can't even beleive it.) Here is the list!

These foods are high in either Folate, or Omega 3, both of which aid your body in balancing its chemistry, and fighting off symptoms of depression.

whole grain breakfast cereals
lentils
asparagus
spinach
beans
tomato juice
broccoli
salmon
tuna
mackerel
canola oil
flax seeds.

grilled salmon on a bed of steamed spinach accompanied with some stewed and chilled white beans, and some tiny grape-tomatoes halved, and seasoned makes such a yummy springtime meal...and makes you ( or me anyways) feel so great!

Lisa
favepairobluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 09:22 PM   #65  
Newlywed at 45!!!!

Great posts Lisa...
I too love to paint furniture and have been taping Donna Dewberry's show on one stroke painting its so easy to use on furniture.

I bought some of that beaded trim at Wal-mart,its so pretty and will sew some on the cuffs on a blouse I'm making...maybe your daughter would like that also.I found it in the craft area.

Larry thinks I'm weird because I love pickled eggs, okra and cranberries.(not together)
Craisins are so good, and this weekend I found at save-a-lot bags they had marked down to .50. I bought 10 bags. I love them in scones, and orange quick bread.

Your salmon meal sounds awesome.
Flaxseed is in my plan big time..I buy the ground meal and put it in everything, oatmeal, pancake batter, muffin mix, my yogurt,turkey burgers, I've found it helps with my pms.
The doctor wants me to add it to my smoothies but i just can't yet....smoothie sposed to be smoooooooooooooth.........

Good luck with the sewing,
Diane
Old 05-17-2004, 09:29 PM   #66  

Default great weekend

hi all hope everyone is doing well. i had a good weekend as far as eating goes. didnt over do as seams to be my normal problem. can stick to plan all week and over do on the weekend . today i had cereal bar ,applesauce for breakfast, pretzels for snack, then i had salad for lunch. and for supper baked potato w/low fat ranch and a small chili at wendys. havent figured calories yet but think it is ok. i couldnt even finish the chili WOW maybe my stomach is acutally shrinking. can only hope so. well i better go good luck sticking to plan.

Talk to you LIGHTER!!!
Peg
bearzy2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 12:05 AM   #67  
Tons of fun!!!!

hi everyone! just checking in, I am glad that good moods seem to be th theme for today!!! i thought I was bad today, i was going to use today for my free meal..... and so I just got home and calculated my calories, and it was like 1250..... YAY... I even ate spaghetti (a serving size) what I do is fill up on the salad first and then I eat the stuff i consider "bad" last....which makes me eat much less.... cuz by then i am full.....and no room for the naughty stuff..... alright ladies talk to you all soon.....Jamie
hippiechic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 12:07 AM   #68  
Oooo Silly Me!

Hi Lisa...

It would figure... all those are the foods I don't eat LOL well except for the tuna and broccoli. *grins* I'm starting to eat spinich now. I put it in my spaghetti sauce at times.

Since we are on the topic of foods... I have a question about calories.

If I were to make my own dinner... and say I put in:

2 cups of A
4 cups of B
2 cups of C
2 cups of D

Servings per cup: A = 100 calories B = 150 Calories C = 50 calories and D = 200 calories. so if I go back to my recipe I have a total of 1300 calories for that entire meal. So I figured I'd make the meal be 1 cup = 1 serving. so what I did was I added up all the cups to get a total of 10 cups that made up that whole meal. So then I did 1300 divided by 10 to give me an approximate number for how much 1 serving (at 1 cup each) would be. So that means for that meal.... 1 cup of the soup would be approximately 130 calories.

Does that make any sense? Or did I do this wrong.

Now the reason I ask this is because I made a soup tonight for dinner and I was trying to figure out how to count my calories.

Hehehehe... what a loopy question huh?

Sue...
SueMarie301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 09:33 AM   #69  

Default Good Morning

Hey, yall
I must be missing something...what is a craisan? Never heard of it.
I did good yesterday, I stuck to my diet and did 30 minutes on the elliptical machine at the gym, the readout said I burned 300 calories! I am sore today, which is good, tells me that I haven't been exercising at a good pace. There was this very fit power-exercising girl on the machine next to me going really fast and I think that I subliminally picked up her pace instead of my normal. I will try to get the machine next to her the next time I go. I am planning on adding weights very soon I am getting the bye-bye arm, my tricep is sagging

Hope you all had a good night. Talk to you later...or is it lighter?
NancyDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 11:03 AM   #70  
Newlywed at 45!!!!

Good Morning Chicksters.....

Sure does sound like everyone is doing well and is pretty HAPPY with
their new ways.

I too am doing well except for a nasty patch of poison ivy right between
my chicken breasts!!!!
No matter how careful I try to be out there I get it every year,aahh living in
the woods....

Bearzy....I have a free meal on Sat. nights. I give myself total permission
to go over in calories Sat. night as long as I have stayed ok for the rest of
the week, I actually am allowed 2 free meals a week but so far have only done
one.
Could you try that??? I have found that I don't get too wild this way, usually
2 slices of pizza and 3-4 beers or wine coolers.I know I did well for the week and
don't want to regain what I may have lost.If I plan out a free meal I am still in
control.
And doesn't it feel good to actually feel full on less food??? I leave one bite on my
plate at all meals...even if I'm not full and could eat it...it is something that
shows me I am in control.
Your doing so good and sounding happy and thats what its all about...well that and the
Hokey Pokey...

Jamie---There's the way to tackle eating out..fill up on soup or salad, then go for the
Gusto,also drinking that glass of water first helps too.Its amazing too what a serving
size of pasta actually is, before I was probably eating 4-5 sevings on my one plate.
Good to hear you so happy too.

Sue marie--DON'T EVER be nervous about asking any questions here.We all have things we can
learn and teach.If you have a question and no one knows the answer we will figure out how
to find it.
As far as how you are adding up and dividing the total calories is correct.
There is an excellent book called 'The Fat Counter' mine is a paperback and thick.There is
just about any food you can think of in it and it gives you calories,fat,sat. fat and serving
size.
It gives you fast food counts,raw veggies,international foods,frozen dinners...everything.
Its so good you like to cook, that really is the healthiest way,no chemicals and you control
whats going in your's and your families mouth.

NancyDrew--Whoo Hoo!!!Gettin' nutty on the machines..burn 'em up girrlllllll!!!
Don't hurt yourself...good to hear you so pumped.
A craisan is a dried cranberry....mmmmmmm like a raisin.

In honor of the season coming up....

Tomato and Green Bean Salad

1 lb. fresh green beans, with tips removed
2 large ripe tomatoes,thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves,crushed
2 green onions finely chopped
1/4 cup rice vinegar(oriental section in market)
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp.dill OR marjoram OR oregano

Put beans in pot with 1 inch of boiling water.
Cover and steam for 5 min.Drain.Rinse under cold water
to stop cooking, you want them crisp tender.
Place in salad bowl with rest of veggies.
pour on vinegar,sprinkle with spices, toss and serve.

Serves 6 as a side or 3 as a bigger side.
Calories per 6 servings:45
fat:0.3

If you want to make a more substantial salad:
Add:
1 6oz. can of water packed tuna
2 hard cooked egg whites chopped
1 small jar of water-packed artichoke hearts

Everyone hang in there,it takes 21 days to create a habit,
Diane
Old 05-18-2004, 02:16 PM   #71  

Afternoon ladies! Sounds like everyone is plugging along, doing their thing, and doing it well! I'm just sitting here with an ice cold glass of water, reading the posts and trying not to eat! It's a week now since I have started my "plan" and so far, so good! I have stayed on plan faithfully, eating between 1200-1300 calories a day (except for the day I ate 1600)... I still haven't jumped up my excersise yet but I have been getting out and doing some moderate walking which is better than nothing I guess.
Because of my hubby's work schedule, I won't be able to weigh in until Sunday, but that's okay, I weighed myself last Saturday after being on the plan only 5 days and I lost 4 lbs, so it will be a week and a day since my last weigh-in---so hopefully I will have lost a bit more when I weigh in on Sunday!
Anyway, that's my boring life! Hope everyone is doing well and staying on plan!
Have a good day!

Tara

SW=267--5/11/04
CW=263--5/15/04
GW=140

mini goal--250
eatnothingalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 02:43 PM   #72  
Newlywed at 45!!!!

Here's a little tool to help figure out how many calories you can eat, how much fat per day to safely lose every week.
Different activity levels are plugged in also.

If you use it make sure you put in your height as total inches ie: 5' 4" is typed in as 64".
http://www.room42.com/nutrition/basal.shtml
Old 05-18-2004, 03:06 PM   #73  
Tons of fun!!!!

Hello chickies...... hope everyone is having a wonderful day, Diane, I went to the link you provided in the last post.... it said no lower than 1327 calories a day to safely lose weight.....i usually am around 1050-1100, should i bump up my calorie intake, I dont want to backfire and push my body into starvation mode, advice???? anybody feel free to throw in some jewels of wisdom.... Well today is my big grocery shopping day for the month, its the first time I will be going since my choice to change my eating habits.... it should be good though, i am making a list before hand. talk to you all soon, Jamie
hippiechic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 03:22 PM   #74  
Newlywed at 45!!!!

Jamie I just worry that you're getting the nutrients and enough carbs that your body needs to run efficiently. also that maybe you could go into starvation mode.
It said about the same intake for me, I don't think you would have to woryy about it all the time but maybe every other day bump it up a bit.
Your body runs on carbs. and when you eat them they need to be the "good" carbs,complex,so you don't cause spikes in your blood sugar.
Are you taking a multi-vitamin???? very important. Also getting in your sevings of veg and fruit,bluberries and blackberries are 2 of the best for fighting free-radicals..they have more anti-oxidants than any other fruit.
If you would like to talk nutrition let me know, I do seem to go on and on...lol

Also I suggested "the Fat Counter" book to Sue earlier, it is such a help when doing your grocery list.
Shop wisely,
Diane
Old 05-18-2004, 03:32 PM   #75  
Newlywed at 45!!!!

Anyone in touch with Britt Leigh or April Pepper??

I e-mailed April this a.m
But Britt has no e-mail addy in her profile....I worry about all of us...its the mamma in me...lol
Us April Chicks stick TOGETHER.

If anyone has a really rough time with something and totally wants to say"screw it,I can't do it any more", please reach out to someone here first..thats what support is all about, we're not just here for each other when its all smiles...heck thats when we need each other the least really.
Its those days when nothing is going right. life sucks, and I'll just eat the whole cake 'cause it don't matter what I try it never works...days that we really need to come here and let others prop us up again.
We all have them...its what we do with them that counts,
I love you chicks,
Diane