Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-07-2004, 11:20 PM   #1  

Exclamation which diet should I use??

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=Purple]

I am so confused about which diet I shoud use. This site is unbelievable...I am going to share it with many people! I don't have alot to lose...only 15-20 pounds. I hate how heavy I have gotten and I need some help. I liked South Beach in that it took away all those sweet cravings, but it was way too hard for me to make all the food. I don't have much time. I have heard mixed reviews about WW, but it seems easy. Any advice???
twinmom97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 08:10 AM   #2  
Rattie Lover

Hello, TwinMom!!!

Glad you are here!! This place is a big bundle of information and the BEST internet support system I have ever encountered. Course I am prejudiced but...I think there are alot of people that will agree with me.

The best advice I can offer you diet-wise is to speak to your doctor and/or a nutritionist. They would be able to help you figure out what diet would work best for you. There are so many different diets that one diet that is perfect for one person might totally be harmful for another person. That's why it is important to research all options and consult with someone who is educated in those fields.

Take care and good luck!! Keep us posted!!
Noodles913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 11:31 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Here is my 2 cents... I don't agree 100% with Noodles (sorry toots I love you anyways!)

Unless you have some serious or even not so serious medical problems, yes seek medical attention... But I personnaly have never had to do so, since loosing 10-20# is all I need , to get down where I would like to be ....

What I have done is an experiment of one.... I did WW for YEARS!! Until finally one day I realized this was not for me because of weight training I just needed more calories and protein... Then I tried Atkins, YUK, I felt totally awful.... TOO much fat not enough carbs to fuel my work outs... Then I tried Body for Life by Bill Phillips... Bingo! I did one 12 week challenge by the book it worked well, but again, it wasn't perfect... Since then I have changed and tweeked it to my liking.... It works for ME! at the moment, next year my body, hormones and everything may change. But that's ok, I love the challenge and the experimentation aspect of playing around with nutrients... What I love the BEST about BFL is eating OFTEN 5-6 meals/day!!! This has kept my insulin levels even and I am NEVER ravenous anymore.... I just make sure that at every meal I eat a portion of protein and a portion of carbs (keeping the carbs as unprocessed as possible), with a couple of those meals having lots and lots of healthy veggies!! This plan has also changed my mentality that this is NOT a diet but a LIFESTYLE that I can do FOREVER!! That's what I think we should all strive for. Diet has a beginning and an end, but if you truly want to maintain your weight loss you MUST make it a LIFEstyle....

One thing I agree 100% with Noodles is that this IS the BEST forum for diet discussion...

So, welcome and I hope you find this forum as helpful as Noodles and I have found it...It is for me truly indispensable for my healthy lifestyle...

Later....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 03:14 PM   #4  

Thanks so much Noodles & Ilene...I really appreciate it. I am not obese or overweight as far as charts go, so I don't feel I need to contact a doctor. I have always been petite...5'2" and no more than 100 pounds. Now I am approaching 125 pounds and have gone up 3 sizes. I feel uncomfortable with how I look and people have been commenting on the weight gain. I even got the "are you pregnant?" comment/question last week. I used to be able to eat anything & everything I wanted without gaining an ounce. Boy have things changed!!

I drink alot of water/Crystal Light/iced tea. I do a modified SBD. My weakness is sweets. I love chocolate, ice cream, etc. I tend to snack on the low-carb/sugar-free chocolate, the low carb/sugar-free ice cream. I know I don't exercise as much as I should...2 kickboxing classes a week, but would more exercise make the difference?

I'm a psychologist and a mother of 6 y.o. twins so I don't have much spare time. I have started doing psych evals for gastric bypass /bariatric patients, so you'd think I'd know. I love this website and I love the feedback I've gotten so far.
twinmom97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 07:00 AM   #5  
Rattie Lover

You're ...

Do what you think is best for you, dear. I, too use to be able to eat anything I wanted....then I hit 18 and those days left me faster than the speed of light...I still think somewhere in my body it knew it was turning 18 and said, "O.K., partys over!! hahahahaha!" Oh well...at least I eat better now.

Good Luck!! Keep us posted...
Noodles913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 07:25 AM   #6  
Tig
Gotta RUN!

Default Non-sanctioned WW

I've been doing a modified WW for about three years. My life diet is more based on Dr. Willett's book - Eating Healthy for Life. The only WW part is counting points - it is a way to track and journal for me. I eat protein, and complex carbs and fiber, basically. I don't do the 'flex points' or any of the other gimmicky WW things. Slow and steady.

My major problem is portion control, and I do adore sweets, too. I buy the Skinny Cow mint chocolate ice cream treats and cut them in half and have a half in the evening for my ice cream fix. Portion control.

From reading the different boards over the past three years, I think the successful losers faithfully and consistently journal, exercise, follow some plan that works for them, and don't give up just because they discover they are human and slipped up.
Tig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 01:25 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Thumbs up

Tig you summed it up perfectly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tig
From reading the different boards over the past three years, I think the successful losers faithfully and consistently journal, exercise, follow some plan that works for them, and don't give up just because they discover they are human and slipped up.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote