Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-10-2004, 12:04 AM   #16  

Default Hi Hi!!! :wave:

Can i join in, please? Diane found me wandering around in another thread and invited me, but i couldn't get here until now.

have read the whole "April chicks" thread from the first post to now and WOW!! you people ROCK!!! Wow!

Anyway.

What's my motivation? Um. i really, really, really do NOT want to develop heart disease, diabetes, have another form of cancer*, or any of a number of obesity-related diseases. plus it's d@#&(%$ned awkward trying to get around while carrying an extra 90lbs of weight. i mean, think of it. we sure wouldn't any of us even try to lift a suitcase that weighed 90lbs, would we? so what's with carrying it around on our bodies all day long?

Acouple of years back i manged to lose 30lbs and then felt as though i had a new body. even though at that point i still needed to lose another 50lbs to reach my goal weight! Then my (s)mother died and all the weight came back. And brought friends!!

My mother singled me out for neglect that bordered on abuse. She decided my role was to be the "bad" child. If i was the bad child, then no one need listen to any of my complaints. Dad was not there for a good four yrs stright (U.S.Army, 1960's). Older brother and younger sister were the family's good children. My mother kept me socially isolated: no friends, no contact with any adults outside of school hours (not even the neighbors), no contact with aunts or uncles or cousins.

Golly gee, no wonder i have trouble taking proper care of myself.

Oh, and did I mention the double-depression (dysthymia with bouts of major depression)? I have been on Zoloft for 2yrs now and probably will be for life. And i soo wish i'd started on Zoloft when it first came out; coulda saved myself a decade of misery!!! (No, this is not an ad for any SSRI's. Relax.)

Ah. Weight gain and loss. Yes. That is the topic of this forum, right? Okay.

i was a normal to thin child. And a normal to thin teenager. My weight gain didn't really start until my mid-twenties when all of a sudden i was no longer very physically active (desk job) and wasn't eating right. And then, in my late twenties, my thyroid started slowing down. An underactive thyroid will really do a number on you. unfortunately mine went untreated for a good ten years. It took twenty years for me to get to this point in my weight; so we know the weight won't come off overnight.

So. The weight-loss is really part of my plan for treating my whole self with the care i should have been receiving all my life. Eat good food. Gradually become more physically active: walking, , swimming, sex. I'm even thinking of setting aside a "trousseau" for when i get back to 145lbs. The clothes in my closet are now divided in stages of body size: some for now (I refuse to buy any more clothes for my current size), some for when I've dropped a couple of sizes, and a very few that are something to look forward to!

I already drink enough water each day. Once you start drinking more water, your body will realize it NEEDS the water and start demanding it! Major thirst! Thank goodness water is free and has no calories!

And I don't snack. Really. Not ever. A cupa coffee maybe, but that's it. no junk food, 'cause it gives me indigestion. All high fat foods do, so i do as my body says to do and avoid them. I do try to keep my meals, all three of them, to about 600 calories, but i don't keep records. It's a meal by meal, day by day thing for me.

One day at a time, ya know?

okay. i'll hush up now.

*yes, i have already done cancer once. we caught it early enough that surgery took it all out. along with my ability to have kids.
QuinnLaBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 12:57 AM   #17  
my dad made me1 from wood

Sounds like ur doing a great job keep it up girl.........
u have such a great attitude and just really interesting.........
IF you ever need anything feel free to pm me or just come here and post its what keeps me up to dieting.......
I go to the doctor tomorrow to see if my kidney is still working great... I pretty sure it is haven't hurt or anything like that. I'm going to try the slim in 6 workout plan not sure about the diet coz a lot of the stuff i dont' care for... My friend lost 32 lbs on it and has toned up quite a bit.
I have been so down the last couple of days I think a lot has to do with the fact that i haven't got to see my fiance in a couple of months and we haven't really gotten to talk like we use to but its ok coz now i have u guys to complain 2 hehe...

EVERYONE KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!!!!!!!
scorchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 10:21 AM   #18  
Newlywed at 45!!!!

HeYYYYYYYY Quinn!!
I'm so happy you found us.
Wow sounds like you have been through the ringer,but also that you have come out with alot of strength to carry it through.
It's good that you are giving yourself what others couldn't or wouldn't give you.
I come from an abusive background and finally figured out that I had to give myself permission to have a happy and healthy life, never did feel normal or like I "fit in" while growing up.

Scorchin'....I'll be thinking of you today, and praying for that kidney.
Keep your chin up girl,he will be home and you'll be looking and feeling better when he is.

Diane
ralphmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 10:47 AM   #19  
Newlywed at 45!!!!

Seems as a few of us are watching calories and fat grams here and I was wondering if everyone
knows the formula for figuring just how much of a percentage any given food is of fat??
I know we look on the label and figure "Oh it says 2 grams of fat,thats pretty good"

BUT..please take a minute and check this out....

OK,1 gram of fat = 9calories,all of which are made of fat.

So ...you WILL need a calculator for this...

If the label of say...a certain gourmet popcorn says it is
35 calories
2 gr. fat
for a 1 cup serving...

you multiply that 9 calories of fat times the grams per serving
9 x 2 = 18

Now take that 18 and divide it by the calories per serving..35
18 divided by 35 = .51
That is 51%
So every cup of that you eat is 51% fat.
NOT LOW-FAT.
This is one reason why so many people could not lose weight on lowfat when it was the rage,
a few years back
If you can learn to do this math,(calcilator helps me) then you will over time start being able to
know what foods you can buy in the store at a glance.
But if something has a low calorie count and fat grams please take time to do the math.
You may not be eating as low fat as you thought.

Here's another one...this is from a "light" potatoe chip..
serving size=1 oz.

calories=130
fat=6 grams

9x6=54
54 divided by 130=42%
Every 1 oz of chips you eat are 42% fat.

If you do this figuring and try to not eat anything that is over 20-30 % fat,you will have success
this lowfat plan of eating.

Food manufactures are "allowed" to do all kinds of screwy things with food labels, they stay up
while your sleeping figuring out ways to get "around" what they should be doing.

This is also why it may be important for those of us who are not sure of what to eat, to do some
homework and get on a plan...heck its easier to let the experts figure out all this math...lol
Old 05-10-2004, 11:47 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 185/185/145

Height: 5'4"

Hey, good information Ralphy, also, its a good idea to remember that low-fat, does not mean low-calorie...many lowfat versions of foods are actually higher in calorie than their "original" versions, due to the extra everything they have to add to make it taste good. A good rule of thumb is to take everything in moderation. If you just have to have a cookie, have a cookie, but don't eat the whole box! Like you said, manufacturers will tell us whatever they think we want to hear. I have also seen on the news that "low-carb" labeling is under scrutiny, becuase many "low-carb" foods are actually higher in carb's than their "original" counterparts ( even AFTER taking out the fiber grams for a "net-carb" total...) Once again, you can avoid being tricked by these labels by paying attention, asking yourself, "is this too good to be true?", and "will this food contribute to my good health?" You'll avoid some costly mistakes. Also, ever notice that these "diet" foods are ALWAYS more expensive??? And, that these are almost always "comfort" foods? (Remember good ol' snackwells? They honestly want you to beleive that eating their cookies will make you healthy....yeah, whatever...lol) I guess my point, in conjunction with Ralphmarie, is pay attention to what you're buying. And, if you must have a treat, be moderate about it, and realize that the only person being fooled by the labels, is the person buying it!

Happy shopping! Lisa

P.S.
I like to go OUT for dessert occassionally, I get it, its gone, I don't have any more at the house....it seems a good plan. I learned it from my sister.
favepairobluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 02:58 PM   #21  
Newlywed at 45!!!!

Right on Fave,

I find it funny,in a sad sort of way, that the price goes up when they leave something out...that shows they are taking advantage of our situation.
I do think the best way to go is to try to cook from scratch as much as you can.
Shop that perimeter instead of down the isles, if you don't have cookbooks go online or to the library for recipes.
Get simple, get raw, get informed.
We are blessed with wonderful, beautiful natural foods. Look at fruit and vegtables..they were made to make you use your senses when you eat and prepare them,the way they look,smell, taste and feel in your mouth is truly a gift, take pleasure in that.
Grow something, even if its in a bucket on a balcony,there's nothing that can beat a tomato you grow yourself....

What a great idea Fave...going out to eat a treat and not bringing it in the house.
It would also be a great time to walk if you live around an ice cream parlor or a coffee house,make it an after dinner ritual once a week for the family to walk there, have a treat and walk back.

I made Larry some blueberry muffins this week to take with him,(it was a mix,already had it for awhile...) and it called for 1/3 cup of oil...I used unsweetened applesauce instead and the results were fantastic, I also used 2 egg whites and 1 whole egg for the 2 called for...every little bit helps.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:48 PM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphmarie
You may not be eating as low fat as you thought.

Here's another one...this is from a "light" potatoe chip..
serving size=1 oz.

calories=130
fat=6 grams

9x6=54
54 divided by 130=42%
Every 1 oz of chips you eat are 42% fat.
eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww!
Old 05-10-2004, 10:52 PM   #23  

Lisa, what a cool idea! Go OUT for dessert!

Some friends and I used to go out for coffee and desserts at night of after seeing a movie or whatnot. and this was pre-Starbucks. And we were all thin back then, too!

Hey, thanks evrybody for welcoming me. It has been a rough haul. But now i'm here and in a very good place, yessiree!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I wanna go back to eating my dessert -- fresh blackberries smothered in vanilla yogurt. mmmmmmmmm!

Last edited by QuinnLaBelle; 05-10-2004 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:31 PM   #24  
my dad made me1 from wood

Default Doctors App Today!!!

heya guys,
Sounds yummy quinn can i have some hehe.....
Hey I went to the doctor today so he weighed me I lost 2lbs yipppeeee I'm so happy that just rocks for me hehe..
And he lowered some of my meds that coz the weight gaining so I should really be losing now...
However I did get a lil bad news
my creactine level (see how well kidney is working ) was a lil high it is either because of that med he lower( lower to see if that what causing it) or it might be rejection which can be cured with more meds joy .... I go back thursday to see if it lowered so everyone pray that it is.
EVERYONE HAVE A GREAT NIGHT OR DAY OR MID-DAY OR WHATEVER IT IS WHERE UR AT HEHE !!!!!!

HEATHER
scorchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 02:48 AM   #25  
Tons of fun!!!!

Default Hi Everyone!

Yay, Heather! good job on your 2lbs, and good luck with your appointment, You are so upbeat and positive..... And Diane thanks for the info on the fat grams and percentage, I learn something new everday on this site, I swear! The idea about going out for dessert is good idea, Although I have just been eating angel food cake w/strawberries, which works for my sweet tooth, at least so far!!! I always go to fitday.com and figure out my calories for the day and I am amazed at how much calories or how little calories are in certain foods.... My goal was trying to get 1200-1400 a day and so far I havent even gotten past 1200 and I dont even feel hungry. Lucky for me, I love vegies and fruit and that cooking is one of my favorite things to do, so I get a lot of variety, I am always up to learn new recipes if anyone ever has any ideas they want to share. Oh and I am addicted to the food channel, and if anyone else likes to cook or wants ideas they are starting two new shows this week one is called "calorie commando" its low cal stuff and another thats all about low carb cooking......just in case anyone was interested.....he he he, well ladies have a wonderful day, talk to you all soon!!! JAMIE
hippiechic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 02:51 AM   #26  
Tons of fun!!!!

Default Oh yeah...

I was wondering .....havent heard from FM for awhile has anyone else???
hippiechic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 10:09 AM   #27  
Newlywed at 45!!!!

Hi Chicks,

I will write more in awhile, but did want to say I have e-mailed FM,Sunday, but have not heard anything back.
I will let you all know whats up when I know something, I hope she gets back to me.
It may sound corny but I do think about all of you and I really am feeling a connection.
I want us ALL to succeed and I am so happy when I log in and find you here, I am all alone during the week and you are all my company and there is definately a sisterhood forming....sniff,snifff....(clearing throat)....
Thank you all, for hanging in there.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:37 AM   #28  
Cheryl

Default Hello, all!

ralphmarie invited me over here... First week at really watching what I eat and drinking the water. No more candy bars for breakfast! Got lots to lose but taking it one pound at a time.
Gilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 02:28 PM   #29  
Newlywed at 45!!!!

Hey everyone....

HEYYYYYY Cheryl!!!!! Glad you made it,these Chicks are the greatest.

Quinn-I'm happy that you are here too,when FM and I were kicking around the idea of starting this thread we hoped that we could get together a great group of people who would stick together and support each other, share ideas and really give each other the feeling of "belonging"
I don't know where she is right now...e-mailed her the other day....

Your blackberries sound soooo good, I adore fruit, thats one reason Atkins was so hard for me,brown rice is one of my favorite foods and I couldn't have that, and fruit to me is essential and that was so limited.
Our place has about 500 ft of road frontage and about 200 feet of that has blackberries and wild raspberries growing crazy.
I have transplanted a few bushes into my garden area as they get covered in dust out there by the road,
I will also be planting blueberries this next year, they are one of the "Super foods". We eat them like crazy but at K-mart the other day they wanted 4.49 for a little package that had about a handful in it.
So now I buy frozen,2.50 a 1lb.bag.I put them in smoothies,muffins, quick breads.

Heather-Thats great on your 2 lbs.,gosh, you've been through so much,you are in my prayers and I hope that kidney is just fine and it is the meds.Be good to yourself,get plenty of rest and keep us updated.

jamie-One of my favorite treats is the Angel food cake too, and I bought the 1 step mix (pillsbury) I mixed it with just 1 -20oz can of crushed pineapple, let it sit for 5 minutes in a tube pan and baked it.
it was pretty good.Thats it Just the pineapple no water or anything...But here's one out of the WW magazine...

1(8oz) can of pieapple tidbits in juice
1(6.2oz)angelfood cake mix
3Tbl.shredded coconut
3/4c.seedless all-fruit spread
2tsp raspberry juice or fresh lemon juice

preheat to 350'
drain pineapple(keep juice)
prepare cake mix with 6 tbl. of the p.a juice(no water)
beating with mixer,on med. for 1 minute
gently fold in the pineapple chunks and the coconut
just till combined.
Scrape batter into an UNGREASED 4 1/2" x 8 1/2" loaf pan
Bake immediately 25-30 min.
Cool on rack for 1 hour.

For sauce:
Combine the fruit spread and rasp.or lemon juice in
microwave on high for 40 seconds.Serve with cake.
Per serving(1/8 of cake with a drizzle of sauce)
196 cal.
1 gram fat
2 gram fiber

Spicy Apple Bundt Cake

1 package spice cake mix
1 (21oz) can apple pie filling
1 large egg
2 egg whites
2 tsp. confection sugar

Pre heat 350'
Spray bundt pan

Place all ingredients in
bowl and mix on low for 30 seconds
switch to med. and mix for 2 min.
Pour into pan
Bake 40-45 min.
Remove from pan cool completly
sift confection sugar over top.

Per 1/18 0f cake:
156 cal.
2 gr. fat
1 gr. fiber

I don't eat cake mix too often because of the white flour, I have some cake recipes with Whole Wheat flour I will post later on.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Weigh in tomorrow, for those of us who want to do the weekly thing.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:40 PM   #30  
Newlywed at 45!!!!

OOOOHHHH for those of us who cook and bake......

1 cup of sugar has 770 calories.
1 cup of Splenda has 48 calories.

I use Splenda all the time now,its been sold in Canada for over 20 years now and there have been over 100 tests performed to try and locate any potential problems, none have been found.

Splenda is a brand name the actual product is sucralose.
The cheap diet drinks in my local Save-A-Lot are sweetened with this.
As are the Diet-Rite soda's

By substituting Splenda for 1 cup of sugar you knock out 722 calories in your recipe.
It bakes up just fine.

I buy it at Wal-mart 6.48 for a large bag.
the liquid sucralose has NO calories but it's not sold retail in the U.S yet.
If anyone likes flavored syrups, I use the hazelnut in my coffee, da Vinci's has it sweetened with liquid Splenda.
They have some flavors at Wal-mart or you can go to Da Vinci's web site and get Chocolate syrup or about 30 more other flavors.

Diane