Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-08-2004, 09:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 177/177.8/135

Height: 5 feet and one inch!

Default nights out with friends

hi everybody,
i've just joined up here at 3fatchicks and I think it's fantastic. I have a problem and I was wondering if anyone has any advice (I hope I'm posting in the right place). My friends and I like to go out on friday nights. This usually involves a lot of drinking. I might be wrong but I thinK all that alcohol might interfer with my diet. Does anyone have any strategies for nights out on the town? Also, are there any alcoholic beverages that are better than others for those of us dieting? (I don't want my friends to have ALL the fun) Any tips would be great. thanks
melissa
impixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 12:48 AM   #2  

Hi, and welcome to the boards (I'm new here, too). Alcohol is fattening, which is why I've cut it out of my diet altogether...but there are cheats. If you're in a social situation and want to look like you've got a cocktail in your hand, order a Shirley Temple (ginger ale & grenadine). It tastes lovely, and people won't keep pestering you to try a "grown-up's" drink.

If you fancy a stronger drink, vodka or red wine is the way to go...they're both like zero-carb. If I'm allowing myself a treat, I'll have a glass of red wine with dinner, or a vodka & diet coke. Don't ask me why, but for some reason vodka doesn't come with any nasty extra calories.

If you and your friends are partying, just stay away from those sugary alco-pops (strawberry champagne, Bacardi Breezers, any pre-mixed fruit-flavoured cocktail). Stick with one glass of wine or one spirit with the diet mixer of your choice. Hope this helps.
FeydRautha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 08:48 PM   #3  

They are coming out with low carb beer now. Michelob seems to be the fav of my friends.
TaraJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 11:48 AM   #4  
Legend in my own mind

This is how I see it, and I am a drinker so I can't lie about that.
but when I look at myself and realize I have been the same weight for a number of years, (150) and now want to lose weight.
If I have always had a few drinks after dinner, why not keep doing that and just work on my eating habits. I mean, just that change alone should give me results and it has. I am wearing a pair of jeans today that I haven't been able to wear for 5 years.
I never drink low carb beer or light beer, it taists like water and then you just end up drinking extra anyway..
When I go out I like to just order a huge micro brew beer and just drink it slow. and then I make sure not to eat all the snacks/chips and stuff and if we order food, I just don't get a huge dinner. and then the next day I go back to the diet food. Also diet pop in drinks really are disgusting, and If I'm going to have a rum and coke, I expect it to be yummy, not disgusting. but if your really woried about it, you can always order stuff on the rocks or martini's or a glas of red wine.
the way I see it, you can only loose so much weight in a weeks time and so
if you can figure out how to loose that one pound or two a week and still have fun then do it and have fun.
Partytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #5  

It is definitely so hard. But I found a pretty good drink that keeps be tipsy and on the low calorie side. Voli vodka from sam's club and there are so many flavors! I believe it has electrolytes in it to help with the hangover the next day.
RHay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #6  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeydRautha View Post
Don't ask me why, but for some reason vodka doesn't come with any nasty extra calories.
This isn't quite true:
an ounce of vodka has 64 calories
an ounce of bourbon has 70 calories
an ounce of gin has 70 calories

The bigger issue with hard liquor is your mixers: diet soda and soda water are better than coke, sprite, tonic or juice.

Red wine: approx 130 cals for 6 ounces
White wine: approx 120 cals for 6 ounces.

One tip: alternate one alcoholic beverage with a calorie-free non-alcoholic one (like water, soda & lime, diet coke...).

And enjoy!
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Hi Dietvet == Just a note, RHay pulled up this thread that is nearly 8 years old. The poster you commented to hasn't been here since October of 2004!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:16 AM   #8  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

Ooops! My bad!
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote