Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-22-2002, 06:09 AM   #1  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Red face The 21 Day Challenge: Making Healthy Habits #6

The 21 Day Challenge was originally posted by Katrina, from an EDiets forum.(Thanks, Katrina! ) This thread is based on that idea, but is more generic: YOU decide what behavior you want to focus on (you might want to follow WW or some variation, or may just want to commit to a certain amount of exercise -- whatever behavior you would like to make a habit) and commit to that for 21 Days. Then you might continue on for another block of the same, or you may want to add another behavior. The idea is that it tales 21 days to form a new habit. Sometimes it takes a lot of starts before you get through the first block of 21 days but if you persevere, you WILL make it. And it gets much easier as you go along, until - YES! - healthy behavior becomes a habit!

21 DAY CHALLENGE

1. Your 21 days must be CONSECUTIVE days! That is the whole point in forming new habits.

2. This works on the "honor" system...no one will monitor you...if you "mess-up", you are only cheating yourself by not beginning again! The importance behind this challenge is to have 21 consecutive days of self control!!

3. What do the numbers mean that you see by peoples' names?? They stand for DAY/POUNDS LOST/BLOCK. 1/0/1 is Day 1, 0 pounds lost, Block 1.

4. Once you have finished block #1 (the first 21 days) you will progress to block #2...

5. For each block, you should state your rules and follow them for 21 days... repeat this as many times as necessary until you are at your goal. Your rules may be as specific or vague as you want: for example, I've considered just at the end of each day, asking myself whether my behavior would lead to better health (and weightloss) and counting myself on track if it did. Or you can stipulate as many rules as you'd like - if you want to change your plan, simply start over with a new Day 1.

Good luck to you as you complete your journey! YOU CAN DO THIS!!! It all starts with a single step... and following with a new one each day!!
Arabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 06:22 AM   #2  

Angry clambering back up onto the block...

Good Morning, Blockettes!

I have been off the block for quite a few days now, taking a little break. I feel like I'm ready to get going again, though. Especially since I know that otherwise I'll end up gaining Don't want to do that! I can, and will do this thing!

Had my 47th birthday on Thursday, and have been a little piggy since the day before On Saturday, we had a big party to celebrate (Fun!) and almost everyone that I hadn't seen for a while was saying I'd lost a lot of weight. i haven't really, so that must be the exercise, but it was nice anyway.

I've got to run. Let's make this a good one, Blockettes! Love to all...

xo
babette
1/208 (-7)/2
Old 07-22-2002, 02:35 PM   #3  

Happy Monday Blockettes! How was everyone's weekend? Mine was okay. No loss on the scale, though. Guess I just have to resign myself to the fact that it's going to be slow going for me to lose now. Oh well, like I've said before I feel so much better being on program that going off now would be just plain stupid. Of course I've been known for my extreme stupidity a time or two. Babette, or Queen Arabella I should say, your tag line has stayed with me alot the past few days. "Would you give anything to be slim? Then give it!" Amen sister.

upandaway
15/9/2
upandaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 03:49 PM   #4  
Is it Friday yet?

LOL, Babette you crack me up!!! The end of the #5 thread was too funny...

Happy Belated Birthday to you too!!!!

Thank you Upandaway... I had an excellent but too short weekend. I posted alllll about the excitement on #5. I learned how to drive and operate our big tractor!!!

s'all for now!
Terri
Punkinseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 06:23 PM   #5  
deleted2

Happy Birthday, Babette!!!

Terri, yes indeed--you have my permission to pray like crazy for me--pour it on!!! I've had a really positive day--call me crazy but I think that I'm going to be okay, that's the feeling I'm getting. It was supposed to be my first day alone at home but I still couldn't quite face it so I had a friend come over and "babysit" me. We watched lots of trashy TV; it was glorious! Still not able to eat too much but am making myself have smoothies and lots of green tea.
I even did my dumbell routine and did the bike for 20 minutes. I think it helped to go to work for a few hours this morning--I need the distraction and I need to feel normal, you know?

Think healthy, Everybody!
Old 07-22-2002, 08:10 PM   #6  
Empress/Queen

Default Yo! Eydie!

I love the way you think about food. I really thought about your idea about eating the "purest" food available. I'm thinking how I could challenge myself to do that for one day next week. Today I drank "oceans of water" and thought about how you'd made the image so appealing (I think it was your phrase, apologies if it wasn't). You are doing great ... regards from Amarantha's Spa, South Empire!

Last edited by Amarantha2; 07-22-2002 at 08:18 PM.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 06:43 AM   #7  

Smile Tuesday am

Hello all!!

Queen Eydie: Am so impressed at how quickly you found excercise to cut the edge of your stress-- and so, so impressed with your dh for taking you for a moonlit walk!!!

Queen Babette, your one year younger than me!! If you remember, my birthday was the beginning of the month- !!

I think the heat is making me cranky- Maybe a sweaty treadmill walk would do me well too-- I saw some ex coworkers Sunday and realized how much I miss them and others. It made my new job very hard to go to on Monday. I know I have no reason to complain, I was so excited when I was offered this job-- but I guess it just makes sense that there would be a "grieving process" for the old job. I know in time, this 'newcomer' feeling will pass-- but it can't come soon enough!!

To top it off, since I'm now in a new group of women, you guessed it, my cycle has changed and I don't even know if this is PMS or just me being a weinie.

and then, when I did go to work yesterday, I did not get a single comment on my hair until noon and that was by someone not in my group. AND that was the only comment I got the whole day. SO< either it is the absolute worst color and cut job anybody has ever seen or----

Oh well, its time to get ready for work-

My best to everyone- thanks for listening!
Kaylets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 08:13 AM   #8  

Angry Day 2, Day 2, Day 2!

Good Morning Blockettes!

I'm very happy to be doing this again. After all, the little (at least measurable) difference was so hard won, it would be a shame to let it go. And that's what happened last summer -- I relaxed and when I looked up again, I'd regained 15 pounds

Thanks for all the birthday wishes!

Eydie, you're doing just great! I know this is a very difficult time, but it seems that you're using it as an opportunity to become more centered. It's wonderful to see! My thoughts and prayers are still going out...

Punkin, thanks for the vision of you driving the tractor! Cool!

Kaylets, sorry you're having a tough time settling into your new job. It always takes a while to get comfy. I wouldn't worry abot the hair thing though -- I think some people don't comment about stuff like that until they know a person fairly well. I bet you look great!

Upandaway, my tag line came from me looking at one of my sisters who is in absolutely fabulous shape, and thinking "I'd give anything to be that slender" and then thinking - "Well, obviously, if that were true, I would be slim, because it is definitely within my power. Just have to do it -- so simple, huh (in fact, I'm don't even aim to be quite as slim)

Amarantha, thank you so much for establishing the spa and making us all so welcome there. I'm heading there on my break this morning....mmmmm.... think I'll have a massage and then frolic in the healing waters

Let's make this a great day!
xo
babette
2/208 (-7)/2
Old 07-23-2002, 10:25 AM   #9  

Default Finally Tuesday

Was yesterday the longest Monday in the history of the universe? I thought it would never end!

Happy Belated Birthday, Babette! I completely missed it, sorry. I think my senility is getting worse.

Kaylets, I agree with Babette about people not commenting on someone's appearance unless they know them well. I am that way, or used to be. I've made an effort to speak up the past couple of years. I realized through WW that the compliments are such a boost when someone notices a change, that I try to pass that on to others. Doing it has also helped me learn to accept a compliment with a polite "thanks" instead of picking it apart, trying to tell the giver how wrong they are. (Example: "You look great, how much weight have you lost?" Me--"Not nearly enough, I still have ____ to go. But thanks." ) I realized that's throwing the compliment back in someone's face.

Punkin I have this vision of you on that tractor, trucking along, moving earth and getting sweaty. Keep on truckin'! Oh man that was bad, wasn't it?

I'm trying to keep a positive attitude since the fruitless weigh in on Sunday. In light of what Eydie is facing, I really, REALLY shouldn't whine about it. Like Amarantha I've given alot of thought to what you said about putting only the best, purest foods in your body. You're continually in my prayers, keep up that positive attitude.

Prevention magazine did an article in April called "Plate Power". The concept is simply to divide your plate into sections. Half the plate gets filled with fruits and/or veggies, the other half divided into half again and one half gets protein, the other starchy foods. A friend of mine showed it to me in late March and said she was going to give it a try. I saw her yesterday and she looks great, she said she'd lost about 10 pounds, but it looks like much more. And that's all she's done, divide her plate, she doesn't exercise at all. Of course she doesn't have a problem with sweets like I do so that's not a challenge for her.

Have Healthy Tuesday, everyone!
upandaway
16/9/2
Old 07-23-2002, 01:51 PM   #10  
Is it Friday yet?

Hello everyone!!

Nothing terribly exciting happening today... I may cancel my vacation coming up because of the fires. I can't imagine leaving my cat-kids at a time like this with fires, lightning and evacuations still happening. Our local fires are further, but with it so hot, dry and lightning in the forecast.... I donno', I don't think I can leave.

Eydie - You got it then! We're having a full moon ritual tomarrow, you'll be included in spirit for healing and emotional strength. You sound like you're doing great though!

Kaylets - Our bodies never cease to amaze me... here we are in the 21st century and womens bodies still attune themselves to each other as if we were still in the caves.... I hope the "I'm a newbie" feeling goes away soon.

Babette - Ha, you want more of a visual of me driving a big ol' Kabota tractor??? I was also wearing a straw hat. Go ahead, giggle...

That's all for now... I have a tree guy coming to do some trimming soon - that should help me sleep better (the 100 foot tall juniper with branches 4 feet from my house make me a tad nervous right now). Other than that, I'm tired.... very tired and wishing it would just be Friday already!

Day 1 of recommitment week is going fabulously so far.

Terri
Punkinseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 02:21 PM   #11  
Empress/Queen

HRH Arabella, the Wood Nymph: Adding to your birthday wishes! Another year wiser.

Eydie: I'll be bringing down the moon and sending thoughts your way!

To all, thanks for being here. Your continual healthy commitments and good spirits buoy me up!

Amarantha (She of the Walking Poles)
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 05:33 PM   #12  

Talking Happy Belated Birthday Babette!!

Hi all. We made it back from Illinois safely. Did not stay OP though (deep dish pizza is too good to pass up and being on the road makes diet choices a little harder) Got off work early today-since the office is moving my computer isn't even there yet, which makes it very hard to work. Guess we're back to Day One. I think I'm going to take a tip from Babette and work on the one day challenge along with the 21 day challenge. My challenges will be to keep drink more water and to get to the gym at least twice a week! Wish me luck!

Punkinseed: Glad to hear you're still with us. Still praying that fire goes out!

Eydie: You take it easy--I hope you're doing well. I haven't been back to the last post to check yet. But you're in my thoughts.

Kaylets: Hopefully Tuesday has been better. We're moving our offices so even though my job has not changed the people have--their so quite, it's like they are dead..but our group is loud. Hopefully there won't be any clashes. Grieve for the change but look forward to the challenges..try to keep in touch with those old coworkers. Email works wonders. AND I'm SURE your hair is wonderful!!!

Everyone else: Happy Tuesday! Wishing you the best.

Last note: did talk to my roomate, I'm so relieved she didn't make a scene. Only once tried to make me feel guilty - but it didn't work. Maybe I'm getting stronger after all.

Cindelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 07:21 PM   #13  

Red face Tuesday evening

Hello all!!

Thanks to all for the pat on the back-- you're right, my hair does look ok- and its such a small thing, considering-

and you're right, maybe they don't know if I want to be noticed-- Its just the differences that I keep noticing.

Just another example of habits I guess, -- isnt that the perfect segue back to the block--

OK, here we go-- it must be time for a pep rally
-- ( I know, speak for yourself, and I sure could use it)

Ok, you all know this one

" We are the Bloccccckkkkeeetttttes,
the migggghhhhttttyyyy mighty Bloccccckkkkkeeeettes,
Everywhere we ggggggooooooo,
people want to knnnnoooooooowwww,
who we are

soooo we saaaayyyyy.....

We are the Blockettes...

Repeat (louder this time your graces!!)

So...

Punkinseed, was that you I saw at the tractor pull on ESPN?? Do you have flames painted down the side of that tractor?

Aramantha, if this stalking continues by the BLOB you might consider putting a big bell round his neck so at least you can get a running start --

Upandaway- Yes, let the record show, it was the longest Monday on record- but watch out, next Monday is a strong contender

Babette- we continue to run the same course, I came back OT late May after almost a year lapse but I gained back more than 15- went up a size and that was gettting too tight too--

Eydie-- so glad you're to hear from you -

Cindelier- sounds as though you made some good food choices while you were on the road- glad the roommate discussion didn't go as badly as you anticipated-

Elaine R- how's it going??

and everyone else I'm missing--

( sorry, you guys put this in my head)

You got to keep on truckin' .....

Big storm coming in, be careful out there !!
Kaylets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 06:14 AM   #14  

Angry Day 3

Good Morning, Your Royal Majesties!

I had such a neat thing happen last night. I went to buy clothes with a check i'd gotten from MIL for my birthday (looking for jeans among other things, which is not something she would have been thrilled about, but -- hey! that's what happens when you give a check: you don't get to pick! ). Anyway, I had been surprised a while back that when I measured my girth I was only a size 18 (I realize this is elephantine in some folks books, but it was good for me). And then I measured again and was somewhere between an 18 and a 16 the next time.

Well, this might have been obvious, but I was very surprised and thrilled to discover that the 18s were too big. I almost got them anyway, because they were just borderline-big, but decided to try on the 16s and they fit. Girlfriends, it is a LONG time since I wore a 16!

Kaylets, thanks for the cheer! I'm going to be singing all day. Let's see ... what tune can we set that to ...

Cindelier, I think that the combo of daily goals and using them towards the 21-mark might just work. I mean, really, people do this in the real world, adapt their plans to suit the circumstances... then we're in less danger of failing and gaining weight, esp. unless the daily plan is: Today - PIG OUT

Queen Punkin, you continue to inspire. My vision of you now has you on a big ol' tractor in exquisite trailing draperies, and sporting a tiara. You rule! FYI, here on PEI we have a "Queen of the Furrows" competition every summer...

To all Your Royal Majesties: Have a wonderful day -- catch you at the spa? (Dibs on the towel boy! )

xo
babette
1/208 (-7)/2

Last edited by Arabella; 07-24-2002 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-24-2002, 08:22 AM   #15  

Default Blockettes Rule!

Babette, AWESOME news on the jeans!! And the running, oh you must feel fantastic! Ride the high of success to another great day! Many, many congratulations!

Ok, the image of Punkin sitting on a huge tractor with flames painted on the side, wearing a tiara is stuck in my mind like bad song you can't rid of.

Eydie, keeping our fingers crossed and hearts hopeful today.

upandaway