Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 12:32 PM   #1  

Default can someone help me??

Hello

I got to this forum off the Sugar Busters site, and I'm assuming it's a SB forum?

I've been trying to follow Atkins. I've been eating about 30 - 40 gms carbs/day and lots of fat.

I've only lost 5 lbs.

I've struggled to lose 23 lbs over the last year, tortuously slow.

I'm thinking of reducing the amount of fat I eat and increasing the carbs.

I posted this on the Atkins forum and go shot down.

I have an underactive thryoid that I take medication for. I've read that when we go below 60 gms/carbs a day we decrease our thyroid hormone conversion.

I'm extremely frustrated and confused about what I should be eating to lose and maintain my loss. I'm a very active person, but even when we go on week long kayak trips, I gain weight. I gain about 5 lbs on every holiday then it takes me 2 months to lose it.

I feel doomed.

Do you think I should reduce my fat and eat a few more carbs to increase my available thyroid hormone?

I also don't lose anything if I eat much more than 60 gms a day.

I want off this merry go round and onto something I can do for life.

Can anyone help me??

Thank you!

Maggie
Old 10-31-2003, 01:12 PM   #2  

Maggie: Welcome to 3fc! As for your weight loss problems, have you considered that maybe Sugarbusters and Atkins type programs aren't right for you? Have you tried something else, ie Weight watchers or fat and calorie counting? I am a person that doesn't do well by cutting out huge amounts of my carbs and maybe you are too. I can direct you to a site that you can at least find out how many calories and fat you should be taking in to lose weight. It is www.dietitian.com and go to the healthy weight (I think is what it is called ) calculator on the upper left hand of the site. Answer the questions and it will tell you how many calories and fat to take in to lose either 1 or 2 lbs a week.

**As for the Atkins site, anytime you have people who are die hards about their diets, they don't tolerate anyone coming in and asking questions like you did. Please don't feel bad about this. I have found that unfortunately, people can be intolerate of change especially if they believe in something very strongly. I am totally against the Atkins program as I do not think it is safe nor do I think you can live on it the rest of your life, BUT that is MY opinion and I am NOT saying that a person should just go along with what I think.

I hope I answered some questions for you. I am morbidly obese as you can see from my stats at the bottom of my post, have lost 90 lbs since going on a fat and calorie counting program in January along with daily exercise. I know you can do this, but keep trying different things until you find something that works for you, that is my best advice for you!

Please feel free to send me a personal message and I will be glad to e-mail you if you like and need some more help. I also have a website, www.freewebs.com\trexnonny/ that I hope helps to inspire people that feel kind of down like you do and it has recipes etc there too!

Good luck to you!

Faye
Old 10-31-2003, 01:24 PM   #3  

Maggie, as usual Faye has great advice.

It's all about finding what works for you. You've got to find what works for your body, and what you can live with. This isn't a temporary solution, it's lifelong changes that you're making, so what works for somebody else may not work for you.

Welcome, and post often so we can get to know you better. You've come to the right place for support, help, and inspiration.
Closed Thread