Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 06:54 AM   #1  
burned out bus driver

Default Stay at home Mom's #94

Hi!
Welcome to a thread full of encouragement, laughter and support as we raise families, regain health and lose weight. All are welcome!
Old 10-21-2003, 07:03 AM   #2  
burned out bus driver

Good morning,
Got everyone off to an early start this am, so I thought I would stop in and say hello.

Jen and Jackie- I am praying for both of you with what you are facing today. Jen- please let us know what the sono results are.

Spryng-(who left a nice long post at the end of the last thread)- it sure must be tough with all the hellos and goodbyes and little ones not knowing when or why Dh is on an irregular schedule. Glad you enjoyed that issue of WW magazine. Sounds like a good one!! BTW- one "Laura tip" from the last meeting. As far as candy goes and upcoming holidays. She suggested getting a 2points bar (sold by WW but the Slimfast chewy caramel snack bars are great and also only 2 points and are MUCH cheaper!) and cutting it into 4 pieces- sort of like one of those snack candy bars. Put that in a zip lock bag sooooooo when the kids or anyone else is having chocolate- you can have some too. I am going to try that idea for sure. Glad too that your Dd is so good at cheering mommy up! Give all your sweeties a big hug for me, ok?

Got my walk in this am~ and have a ton of errands today. And some sewing to do also. So gotta scoot. As far as a WW meeting, I think I am going to the Wed PM one in another town. (no Laura, sniff, sniff). I will catch up with her again next week.
See ya later and have a great morning!!!
Ginny
Old 10-21-2003, 09:09 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Good morning all!
Ginny, can you believe its almost WI day for you again? Boy the weeks are sure flying aren't they?? That is a great idea about candy. Although candy and sweets are something I can easily pass up. I have problems passing up LOTS of turkey and dressing and such... but I think this year will be different. I mean I will certainly save my FPs for those meals but I don't think I will go over board because I get full so fast. Dh says buying a big meal for me is a waste of money because I'm lucky if I can eat half of it, But I tell him that is a good thing. Another hard thing for me to pass up is alcohol. When all the family gets together I like to have some wine or something and that takes up points very quickly. In fact that's how I used most of my points this past weekend. But I'm still staying within my boundries so I don't worry about so much. I just plan ahead. And yes that WW magazine was really good. I think it is very well written and it has so many ads in it of yummy low point food! With coupons! I will have to buy some of them.
Well today I have nothing planned to do. Probably just piddle around the house. I have to wash a load of clothes (I have one pair of jeans that are size 12s, so I have to wash them everyday so I can wear them everyday, now that they are getting loose I can't bring myself to buy more of them) Well, guess I'll get off here. My thoughts are with everyone here today. It seems that so many of us are facing hard and tragic times right now... I hope a smile comes across everyone's faces today and a little happiness too... you all deserve it. I hope to hear from you all later. Have a great day!
Old 10-21-2003, 09:36 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 160/158/125

Height: 5'4"

Good Morning!! I'm just peeping in
I'm still pregnant! going on 36 weeks. Last night was pretty rough I really thought I was going to the hospital to deliver. BUT... I'm still here and he's still in there.
Sorry I haven't been around. Its difficult for me to keep up with all the posts at this point and I feel bad when I can't address everyone. I keep you all in my prayers tho.

Ginny I'm so sorry to hear about your situation with your Dd. Teens are difficult. Gosh my teen years were a nightmare and when I think of all the heartacke I brought to my father it makes me want to cry. Even with all those years of butting heads, today we are closer than ever. This too will pass. And like Spryng said your a wonderful loving mother. Hang in there. Oh and congrats on being a loser!

Karen, I am amazed with the success you are having with the adkins. I saw the photo of you in your van a few threads back and let me say WOW! You lok fantastic. Like a new person. Oh I am so happy for you. I know all the new confidence and happiness that comes with losing like you are. You must feel great. I can't remember but I think your sig says youv'e lost 17 inches? And are wearing a medium sweat pants down from a XLarge. WTG! I'm so proud of you. Its just so neat to sit back and remember when you first came to SAHM's and began this journey and look at your progress. You certianly are an inspiration.

Jen, I hope all goes well with your tests today. I'm not sure what exactly is hapening with you. I think I missed that post. But I'll keep you in my prayers.

Spryng, I'm glad to hear Dh is done with all his training and off on his own. Also that he loves his new job. It's great to hear you have adjusted to your new found indendence too. It's not so bad doing your errands with kids either. I take mine everywhere. Once they adjust its a breeze. It's a very rare occasion that I even go see the OB with out my girls. They grow up so fast. Most of the time I enjoy their company. And like you said with some planning everything can be accoplished. I was wondering too, how many weeks did you deliver Tanner? Oh and so glad to hear you are loving the WW plan!

I hope I didn't miss any one. If there are any newcomers Welcome to SAHM's.

Oh and Mel. I didn't see a post from you. Hope you are doing alright. I remembered awhile back you were having portraits of Myra and said you'd post them... did you? If someone could point me to them, I'd certianly love to see the litle doll.

Things here are going along. We are having an Indian Summer. And its absolutly beautiful in the mountains this time of year. All the colors of the leaves changing. This is my favorite time of year. The kids are really enjoying the outdoors. I'm doing pretty good with the baby. They haven't given me any idea how big he might be so 'm guessing around 8#. I feel pretty good most days. I'm just getting really excited to see him. Wish there was a way I could get a little peek I've never carried a baby past 36 weeks so I sorda feel he will be here soon. My birthday is Oct 30th I'm thinking it would be so neat to share that day with him. But for now I need to get started, the girls are getting bored and need to go outside.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:04 PM   #5  
Domestic Engineer

Str

Still having major computer problems- you wouldn't believe the hoops I have to go through to get here! lol But I wanted to let Jen and Jackie and everyone really that I'm thinking of you. If I'm not around for a few days it's not for lack of want or probably trying! We are getting a new computer (yay!) but it may be a week or 2. I'll try to get back and try to be lighter when I do!!
Great job all you losers and big hugs to those that need them!
take care!
Old 10-21-2003, 03:05 PM   #6  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

Jen and Jackie - I am thinking of you too!

Michelle - Thanks so much for the kind words! I dont know about inspiration, but I am determined! I do feel like a new woman! You take care of yourself. Post when you can and let us know when that baby comes! It really has gone fast!

Spryng - My kids still act up when they know daddy is going on a business trip. My 7YO DS still has potty accidents when DH is gone. DD crys and pouts and tantrums. I think it is just a natual thing for kids! However, I think your children will get used to it more than mine do because DH only leaves about 1 week every 6 months or so.

Ginny - I hope things calm down with DD. I remeber the fights my dad and I would have. She will wake up one morning and realize "mom was right!" I can still remember the day I called mom from College ( I was 19 or 20) and I told mom that I was starting to realize, why she did and said the things she did. Your day will come.. My mom still teases me about it.. and I am almost 37 now!

As for me.. I am having a very sad day. I just found out that my crochet student who has been battling breast cancer for 7 years died yesterday. I am so upset because she was like mom/grandmother to me. I know she is not in pain any longer.. but I am going to miss her her so much. Her funeral is on Friday, DH is staying home so I can go...

I am thinking that this year I may walk the Race for the Cure here in Seattle in her memory. I feel like I need to do something!!

Anyway.. I am going to run. DD is home from school now and needs her lunch!

Hugs to all.
Old 10-21-2003, 04:01 PM   #7  
hangin' in there...

I think this thread is just about due for some good news.............

My u/s was clear today! Get this........... they tell me today that my second mammogram, the close-up they took of what they thought they saw on the first film, showed nothing. The ultrasound was just to confirm, which it did. So, there never was a "lump." Now, I do still have lumpy tissue in that area of the breast, but there is no tumour or mass or anything that was detected via radiology. So, it is probably just fibrocystic, which is fine. I follow up with my doc next Monday. She should have the full report by then, but all looks well.

I gotta make the rest of this quick, as dd has dance classes and ds has a hockey game.

Jackie, I hope you are holding up ok. Thinking of you, hon.

Karen, I am so saddened about the news of your dear friend. It is my turn to send the hugs and comfort. I am thinking of you........

Emily, sorry for your computer troubles. Hope the new one arrives soon.

Michele, thanks for checking in. Won't be long now.... hang in there!!!

Ginny, thanks for the extra prayers. I am still sending out good thoughts to you. I hope you are getting some "me" time in.

gotta run.... hugs to all..........
Old 10-21-2003, 06:00 PM   #8  
hangin' in there...

Just a few rambling thoughts and commentary......

Why does the body choose to shed weight from the areas that need to lose the least, first? My fingers have gotten thinner! Thankfully, I could squeeze my spoon ring (given to me by a special friend) together a bit ...... I was afraid it might fly right off my finger! Truly, I did not have sausage fingers! There is no need for weight to come from there! Honestly, I don't know why I can't shed it from my hips at the same rate!!!

On a positive note, my bras are still fitting just fine, so it is not coming from there. Actually, dh thinks I am looking "bustier" since my torso is slimmer. Of course, due to three rounds of lactation, I still could use a "lift"........ I could never go without a good bra!!! Thank goodness for underwires!!!!!!

I also wouldn't mind to take a bit off my feet. I am not tall, but wear a size 9 shoe........ well, that was BK (before kids)..... now I am a 9 1/2. A friend at work said her feet just continue to spread as she gets older. Great..... maybe Michael Jordan will send me some of his old shoes.

Hope I could make you smile........
Old 10-21-2003, 07:03 PM   #9  
I Can and I Will

Hello Everyone!! I have been under the weather so havent been posting much... last week was TOM and now i have the yucks...lol never a dull moment here! Jen, u made me laugh... i have an appointment with a plastic surgeon on Oct. 30 about getting my breasts reduced... and i am hoping perked up a bit... lol that sounds so terrible and vain but i would love it...lol .
Karen.. i am so sorry for your loss... i have lost a cousin and have 2 now who are battleing breast cancer. You and her family will be in my thoughts and prayers. To everyone else... take care of U... Remember that u are beautiful and with the help of each other we can accomplish anything!!

Sandy
Old 10-21-2003, 07:22 PM   #10  
soontobethin

Hi all,
Jen, that was too funny. But I hear you about losing weight from the fingers. I had my wedding band sized up a year ago so I could wear it, and now its so big, it slips off. I hope everyone has a better couple of weeks. As for me, we got our power 90 videos and have started them. Hope they work. I will get back on here later.
Ricci
Old 10-21-2003, 10:01 PM   #11  
burned out bus driver

Its been busy here and that is so good.

Michele- gee, am I glad you stopped in!!!!!! Your little guy is still hanging in there- at 36 weeks!! (I had one who did that too). Well, it is so nice an cozy and mommy loves him so much~aw, can you blame him? He does not have swollen ankles, heartburn, backaches or a fat tummy so it does not matter to him! Glad you are ok and enjoying the beautiful fall with your girls (it is my favorite time of year too!). Hang in there- post when you can. We miss you.

Karen- this has been a tough week here.....I am so sorry about your Df who lost her battle with breast cancer. Perhaps you can dedicate a special pattern to her (with all your crochet talents). And I agree with you the Race for the Cure would probably be good for you. If I should slip and forget to mention it here, I will be praying for you Friday. Nice of Dh to take the day off so that you can attend the funeral.

Jen- that is just awesome news about your sono!!!!! Gee, you must be so relieved. And I know that stuff can show up on one view of a mammo and not the other (that happened to me)- and the same dumb whatever showed up for 2 years and mysteriously dissappeared. BTW, should the fibrocystic stuff get extra achy around PMS time (mine did) reducing caffiene and taking vitamin E helped ease the discomfort. I loved your comment on thin fingers......and not losing where you want to. I look pg even when not-and have always carried my weight in my tummy. Of course that is where I will lose it last......if I ever lose it at all!! Yes you made me smile......and I could never make it if it were not for heavy duty bras either (nursing 3 babies did me in too!) So I need a tummy tuck.....boob lift.....liposuction.....oh, golly I need more than even Bill Gates could afford .

Emily- hope that you get that computer soon! The new ones are so fast and easier to use. Congrats.

Spryng- so we have one more thing in common.......I have only one pair of size 12's also!!! And just this am I noticed what I think is the beginning of the end of them- bagginess, which I know is a good sign. As far as Thanksgiving goes- you got it right, plan, plan, plan!!!!!! What I have learned is for those things that you do not really want to give up is to come up with a lower point version (even stuffing can be made with broth and or reduced fat margarine replacing all or some of the butter), turkey is low in points anyway and using a lot of portion control. Doing all that and saving up those flex points- plus adding an extra AP or two (go for a walk after dinner!) should get you thru it. Laura has also mentioned not really going off program, but just relaxing a bit- not eating the foods that are just extra to you and enjoying (within reason using portion control) what you like. It is only one day, right?????? As far as the alcohol goes, how about consuming a little bit less? I can ask next time I get to a full meeting (which will probably be next week).

Sandy- sorry you are not feeling well!! Hugs to you- Gee, is it that soon already that you are getting to the plastic surgeon (seems like yesterday when you first mentioned it). Are you getting excited about it? Sorry to hear that breast cancer runs in your family- guess you know that October is breast cancer awareness month.

Which leads me to remind everyone to check themselves this month (ok we should be doing this every month!)- but it is important to take care of ourselves. Our families depend on us.

Speaking of which, I made my appt for a flu shot this am.
Tomorrow I am going pumpkin picking with Dd and her class- and should be able to spend most of the day with them before I have to go to work. It is supposed to be cold, but sunny. And I love fall weather, so that is fine. WI is tomorrow evening- if I am still awake enough to get there. It is the only time that will work out for me this week and I doubt I will stay for much of the meeting (it is not Laura anyway). I will let you know how I did. Gotta go pay some bills. Things with Dd are improving but still tense. I feel so bad for her......there does not seem to be a college that meets all of her criteria and she will have to prioritize and compromise on her "want" list. (but then that is the way much of life is, right?). At least Dd and Dh are talking for now......and I am thankful for that.
Gotta go- have a great nite.
Ginny

Last edited by ECmom; 10-21-2003 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:05 AM   #12  

Hi. Can I join in to this group/thread? I am a sahm in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada to a 7 1/2 year old girl and a 5 1/2 year old boy. I have gotten tired of never buying myself any nice clothes and never being able to look at myself in the mirror. I bought myself a really nice Columbia winter jacket in a smaller size than I need right now - this is my incentive.
I am currently at 185 and hope to someday get down to about 130....someday. Right now I will be happy with 150.
Laurie
Old 10-22-2003, 09:12 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Good morning all!
Boy am I behind!! I used the quick reply last time so I didn't get any email notifications so I was thinking no one was posting!! I'll be ok...

Misty!!! I'm so glad you dropped by! 36 weeks huh? Wow, your other two came that early too? Did you have to stay longer in the hospital or were they ready and healthy to come home right away? I went a day past my due date. I'm one of those women who's body won't give the baby up... lol. Ava came two days early... Joseph came one day late and Tanner was one day late, but I was induced with Tanner so he probably would've been really late had I gone on my own. But please keep us updated! Can't wait to hear all about your birth story!!
Welcome Laurie! of course you may join us! I'm Spryng, mother of 3 (3,2, and 4 months) and wife of 5 years to a now over the road truck driver, so I'm basically a single parent most of the time. I hope you find this thread home. What plan are you on? I'm on weight watchers. After trying so many different diet plans and doing ok on most but getting frustrated with not being able to eat my favorite foods or denying myself things I really love, this is the plan for me!!! I love it so much. I know I'll never go off of it. But feel free to post often and I can't wait to get to know you better!
Ginny that is funny about our size 12 jeans. Do you have to wash yours constantly? I try to wear my pjs alot when I know I'm not going anywhere so I don't wear those poor jeans out, lol. They have to last me at least until I hit a 10. Can't wait to hear about your WI and your meeting! I'm sending you skinny vibes!!!!!
Jen I am so thrilled that you got good news!!!! You deserved it and it sounds like you are back to your old self again which is wonderful!
Well I would like to get more personal but I have to get myself dressed and the kids to go to town and return some movies and such. I think I am going to rent another movie for me today... anyone seen The Hours?? Looked like a chick flick I would enjoy. I love horror movies though and really want to rent a couple of those but I know better than to watch them while Dh is gone... I will have nightmares or my imagination will take over my senses once the sun sets so I only watch them when he comes home and I know the boogie man won't mess with me when my big strong man is here, lol
Ok, I'm feeling a little looney myself today. I really hope we can all have a wonderful OP day and everyone is happy and smiling!!! I'll be keeping you in my thoughts too Karen, and that is a wonderful idea to do that walk in her honor! What a thoughtful person you are.
Well I've got to go. TTYL!
Old 10-22-2003, 09:19 AM   #14  
hangin' in there...

Good morning, friends.....

Welcome Laurie! I am Jen, mom of three, ages 8, 6, and almost 3. We are always happy to have "newbies".

Ginny, I'm glad to hear things are better with dd. Although I'm sorry she's in such turmoil over finding a college. It is such a difficult decision. But I know she is getting wonderful guidance from you........ all teens should be so lucky. Thanks for the advice on the fibrocystic pain.... it comes and goes, and is not really dependant on the time of the month. I was having some intense pain from it the beginning of this month, but now that I am PMS'ing....... nothing. It is hard for me to cut down on caffeine when I am working, but I do limit myself to one cup/day when I'm not working. I will try the vitamin E, though, thanks. And, I am in the same boat with the tummy. I have never had a flat tummy, even when I was a healthy, toned 126lb teenager. And after 3 c-sections, well, those muscles are not the easiest to firm up. But, we do what we can, right? So, if I ever win the lottery, I promise to swing by and pick you up on my way to my tummy tuck/boob lift/liposuction...... my treat!

Ricci, hope you are enjoying those tapes. As for your rings, you can get some lttle rubber "sizers" that fit over the band and help them fit a bit more snuggley. I think I have seen them in Wal-Mart. That way you wouldn't have to worry about losing them.

Sandy, sorry you are not feeling well. But I know you are excited for your appointment with the PS. I hope it goes well!

So, since we have begun talking about Thanksgiving, I have been scouring the WW website for recipes. I found a good-looking 2pt stuffing recipe, and lots of ones for soups and potatos. I am going to start trying them out over the next few weeks, so that the family can choose their faves for Thanksgiving Day. I agree with not worrying about one day. But since both dh and I are counting points, I thought it would be smart to try to cook healthier. It will be fun to try out the new recipes.

Now, I must make one last comment........ first, let me just say that I completely understand the need for this 3FC site to use advertising. After all, it may be free for us to come here, but it costs mucho dinero to maintain the site, and that money must come from somewhere...... hence, the advertising. And, where would we all be without this site, right? Now, that being said, I must add that I have become EXTREMELY annoyed with the new advertising banners along the right side of the pages!!!! I don't like that they have made our pages more narrow, and I swear, all that flashing is going to send me into a seizure!!!!

OK, I am done being witchy. Hope everyone has a great day...........
Old 10-22-2003, 09:20 AM   #15  

Hi. Thanks for the welcome. Currently, I am not on any diet. This was a decision I made this morning while lying awake in bed at 5am - that enough is enough...I am done lying to myself that I am not overweight. I am done with the unreal body image ... I am admitting that I am not what I used to be. Ignorance is not bliss...it is being overweight and unhappy.
Closed Thread