Over 50 and Getting Healthy #5

You're on Page 1 of 9
Go to
  • Hi, all--

The thread got too long so I thought I'd start a new one. I think it was at 11 pages!

Of course, now I don't remember what everyone was talking about except for separating 6 eggs into 6 bowls (man, I howled at that one!) and mice. And it sounds like Bluet is working too hard.

Ah, mice. We would get field mice in our garage and our cat, whose litterbox was in the garage, would bring them back into the house, chase them around a little bit, and then leave the little mice to raid the pantry. It was not pleasant. We had to set traps, and those mice were not relocated, if you know what I mean. I remember one morning one of my dogs was sniffing under the stereo, then started scratching the carpet. I thought she'd lost her bone under there, but when I lifted up the stereo, a mouse ran out. I'm just thankful I didn't drop the stereo console on my foot in my haste to get out of there. We also had them in our heating ducts, so when we were drifiting off to sleep we'd hear them scrabbling about.

Ow, ow, ow! That's all I can say after my root canal. I figure I got a lot of exercise shaking in the chair for two hours. Except for keeping my mouth open the entire time (oh, my aching jaws!), and listening to all the scraping and filing plus the drills, oh how I hate the drills, the procedure wasn't too bad. But last night my mouth hurt, and it does this morning, too. I'll be living on Advil for a while.

Still no word from my DD, although I know she's very busy. I've already written letter No. 4, and it's ready to go to the post office. I told my DH that we would have to actually do something just to have something to write about. We are going on a house tour this weekend to visit homes that have been remodeled. What 20 year old wouldn't want to hear about that?

Well, it's raining cats and dogs here. Oh, no, that's in the house and actually it's raining cat and dog fur--outside it's raining huge drops. It was my weight training day so my muscles are a bit sore. Time for a nice hot bath.
  • I can't believe the conversations...go from recipes to mice! Reminded me of once when one of my daughters was about 9 yrs old. She was helping me set the table & we went to the silverware drawer together. When I opened it, a mouse jumped out into my hand! I threw it straight up in the air (as I screamed!) SHE then caught it & did the same! We tossed that poor mouse back & forth for awhile!

Willow...sometimes I wonder if your stories are true. You know...sound too good to be.... I know I sure do enjoy them!! Wish we could all spend time together in person...wouldn't that be great?! We could sit up all night telling stories! As far as the eggs...that's something I might even do...I am NOT a cook!

Sheila...I WILL be glad when you hear from your daughter. I'm sure she's ok...just a parent needs reassurance. My SIL in Iraq was moved over the last few days, & daughter hasn't heard from him. She's getting nervous, again. Hope she hears something soon.
    Hope your tooth & jaw is better now. Never had a root canal, but DH did. Ouch!

Fatpuss...Our husbands sound a lot alike. Mine's not a scientist...but he THINKS he is!
  • A long day today, ...
    I fell asleep in front of this computer this afternoon, after work, and was almost late for the WW meeting.
    I just can't seem to get in the swing of it. I was down 2.8 pounds, but I'm still up .6 pounds from starting weight. I have to get more disciplined with activity, that's all there is to it. Even healthy foods will make me gain weight if I don't get active because I've got a big appetite, plain and simple. And I cannot eat small amounts. That's just the way I am. If I try to live on small amounts of food, I feel cheated and then want to eat more than normal.

Tonight I had a bowl of that 15 bean soup I made in the crock pot last night. It is soooo good, I want another bowl, but it's getting too late. Can't eat so close to bed time. I had some pesta garlic cheese in a pita pocket with it.

I'll be glad when 3 PM tomorrow gets here. 2 glorious days away from work!

In 2 weeks I'll be able to start using the pool at the motel. That should be some fun exercise.

Charlotte, I assure you, my stories are true. I can't imagine why anyone would want to make up stories when real life is more fun. Besides, if you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

I thought your mouse experience was much more hilarious than mine! I bet that poor mouse thought he was on a carnival ride.
    I too wish we could all meet in person. Man! What a gab session THAT would be! Maybe some day, .....

I pray your son-in-law is safe.

Sheila, thanks for starting a new thread. I was going to do it the last couple of days, but always got sidetracked.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who gets a mouse or two every fall.

Oh geez, I sure hope your tooth is feeling better by now. I cringe when I think of it.

Bluet, thanks for the info on the SUNRISE CLOCK. I think I do get worse with my moods in the winter, but at the same time, I enjoy watching a beautiful snow fall. I always feel safe and warm when I can sit by the window in my pajamas and watch a snow storm.
    It probably wouldn't be so bad if a person could see a little more daylight, but when it's dark when you go to work, and dark within a couple hours of getting out of work, and there aren't any windows to look outdoors from at work, it gets to seem like perpetual darkness.

Puss, I loved the story of your hubby making the hot chocolate! Priceless!!
    I bet we could all come up with some good ones if we thought back about what the men in our lives have done.

Well, girls, I need to get some sleep. I'm really tired!
    See you all tomorrow! Have a good night!
  • THIS IS BLUET'S POST :o)
    Hi everyone...
    BLUET
    has gotten lost, so I left her a link to get back to you. But in case she doesn't find her way back I thought I would let you know. Below is her letter - poor sweetie.

Maybe someone could fill her in on how the threads work

God Bless!

Bluet wrote:
    Quote:
    Hi,
    I can' t find any of you where are you? This is too confusing for me. I work with computers everyday all day long so I know it can't be that difficult. What's up with this page business?

Well, I think we are finally done down-sizing at work and everyone has found their new space and is getting accustomed to it. Man, I can't believe what I had to go through to get people to move and be motivated. I had one who didn't want to clean the area she left or the area she went to. It was too difficult for her, she is still stressed out from the move. I had another one who we didn't move and she is moping around not talking to anyone. Another one who wanted to help everyone move and had tons of energy, so things were flying out of people's cubicles and getting mixed up. For two weeks now the office has been in complete disarray. And everyone knows I can't stand a mess. In the meantime work keeps piling up on my desk. I know I am too old to go out and look for another job, but some days I am so tempted.

Well I watched Survivor again tonight and it didn't even cheer me up. Well, what's to be happy about watching grown adults drinking concoctions of sardines, squid, bleeding clams, oysters,etc blended together to make a drink to see how fast one can gulp it down and keep it down. Just thinking about it I would have lost and had to go home. No Million for me.

DH is completely lost in the World Series and hogging the big screen TV. I have to go to another room if I want to watch something, but there is really nothing I want to watch. I would rather be reading a book. I am too much of a scardey cat to read mystery novels. I am o.k. until I have to stay home alone and then I get spooked. It doesn't help living in the country

Last year we were babysitting our two oldest daughters children.
    The local Catholic school system was advertising a haunted house at one of the churches. It was advertised as suitable for preschool and up. We went to the haunted house stood in line for about 1/2 hour and then it was our turn to go inside. The beginning of the course was relatively safe, but then when we got to the second floor it was very dark and people were hidden in boxes and such were reaching out and touching you. Well the grandkids started screaming and trying to get out or hide, and it was not funny. It was dark and DH and I were trying to keep track of all five of the grandkids. That was the first time we had ever gone and the last. All the way home, my grand daughter kept asking if we would not take her ever again to the scary house. The boys felt the same way, So this year we are not going to the scarey house.

Well dear ladies, I am heading to bed. Tomorrow is Friday . Yah

Bye for now.

Bluet

"Nothing but heaven itself is better than a friend who is really a friend." Plautus
  • EVERYONE HAVE A GREAT FRIDAY!

• Gosh...who started all these mice stories, anyway?? I will be having the heebie jeebies tonight and dreaming of them!! Angel, I always love your icons but the mouse!!! Sheila, hope your mouth is a little better now, root canals are not pleasant. I am glad you can now write to DD even though you haven't had word from her yet - I am sure she will be dying to tell you about her new life in the military. Angel, I hope you all hear from your SIL soon to put your minds at rest. Without dwelling on the subject, if I'd have had a mouse on my hand I honestly think I would be rocking myself into a stupor in an asylum for years ahead. The very thought of it! Willow, well done 2.8lb is 3lb by any other name. You are back on track now. I too have a large appetite and last night found myself eating too much, too late. Bluet, I don't read mysteries, I meant thrillers as in espionage and political intreague or murder. I would be worse than your little grandkids in that house if I read those kind of books. I totally agree with you regarding the isolation of your house too. Years ago in the middle of the Scottish highlands we filled up the car at an isolated petrol station. I got talking to the lady who ran it and said I would be terrified living there in the isolated countryside, I would feel like I could be murdered in my bed without a pack of wolfhounds running round the place. She said she would be terrified living in Liverpool City (she could tell from my accent where I was raised) because of its relevant violence. Strange what we feel safe with eh? Horses for courses and all that. I don't envy your office re-organisation, sounds like a dead-cert for stress for you. Is the world series baseball or football? I don't think you mean the rugby world cup taking place now in Australia, do you? We are all glued to the tv and even DH manages to catch it abroad. I did hear a rude comment last year about the US world series about how could Americans call something the World Series when only America participates in it. Is that right? I hope you have found the new thread now - when I first joined this I took ages finding the new one too.
    Well, was reasonably good with foods today and as we were leaving work a friend asked if I had plans for the weekend. I said yes, I hoped to hibernate and lock the front door tonight and not open it until work Monday morning. Just then I received a text message on my mobile phone (cell phone?) from same male friend asking if I wanted to go to the dog racing on Saturday. I have only myself to blame for this because he has never been to it before and I was saying what fun it is (I have only been about six times in my life). Who knows, I may get lucky and win a fortune but for the amounts I bet on a race the odds would have to be 2,000,000.00 to one, ha ha. I like seeing all the greyhounds all excited and wagging their tails at the end of a race. I used to date a chap whose best friend had two dogs and they were treated and fed better than the rest of the family. The sad part, as you will know, Sheila, is they are usually unwanted after their racing careers are over but we have quite a few rescue centres for them here in the UK, we are big on animals here (also big on neglect, unfortunately). I visited a business last year where the Director had a lovely greyhound in his office. He told me that she was a champion he had bought in Ireland but came last in all her races in England. He sent her back to Ireland thinking she was homesick but she never regained her form. The kennels didn't want her anymore so he travelled to Ireland and brought her back as a pet. He had a few errors in his books but I didn't have the heart to fine him because he was so sweet to the dog.
  • I am sure my post was sent ok but can't find it, maybe it went to the old site if that's possible, or maybe it timed out. Bluet lost the thread and I have lost a post.
  • Gosh, that was weird, my big post wasn't there just 30 secs ago and the short one above this was posted 30 mins after the big one. Oh, too late to try to figure this out. Night night all (especially fellow Waltons-wanted-to-be)
  • Quote:
    For SunnyD...
    Thank you so very much! Please feel free to stop in and visit us any time.
    You found our Bluet for us..... We owe you!!!

WILLOW ~ You are welcome!
    Thank you for the invite, but I am only 46 - does that matter?

ANGEL knows who I am
    Hope that Bluet finds her way home...

Take Care!
  • TGIF!!
    I have caught my daughter-in-laws horrible sore throat and bronchitis. I felt it starting last night, and by noon today I was miserable. I haven't had such a painful sore throat in years! I thought for sure I had strep throat, but I went in for a throat culture after work, and they did one of those quickie ones, and it was negative. I lose all sound at times when I speak.
    I stopped at the drug store on my way home and bought a bunch of throat lozenges, throat spray, cough drops, so hopefully it'll disappear in a couple of days.

Anyway, Puss, I guess I'm the culprit who started talking about mice. It went from earwigs, to Asian Beetles,, to Bluet saying how she despises a fly getting in the house, to me agreeing and adding mice to the pest mixture. Sorry about that.

I hope you win big at the race track tomorrow. I guess I'll gamble this week too and buy a lottery ticket, or a few for that matter. I think it's up there pretty high now.

Bluet, I see they have put some advertising on the sides of the pages now instead of at the top. I looks weird.

So glad you got your office back in order.
    I can never contribute anything to a conversation about anything on TV because I so very seldom watch it. I don't like any of the shows that are on now days. I love "everybody loves Raymond".
    And I watch the investigative reports and COPS and that kind of stuff. But, not very often.

Years ago I went into a haunted house, and I'm claustrophobic, and it didn't go well, so I just don't go anymore.

Well, girls, I've waited for the weekend all week, and now that it's here, I'm STILL going to bed early because of this blasted upper respiratory thing I've got going on. Guess I'll take some Advil and prop myself up in bed and watch a bit of TV till I fall asleep.

Take care, and have a wonderful weekend.
  • Well, Well, Well!!!

Thank goodness for SunnyD. I still can not get to this page when I click on the prompt in my email message that tells me someone has posted to this thread. This has never happened before. I have to take the long route of going through the sites pages to find all of you.

How embarrassing, here I am pouring my heart out to you guys, telling things I would only tell just you guys and what happens? I end up out there in cyberspace with the whole world reading my post. And did you guys come looking for mr noooooo, I had to be picked up by a complete stranger. Well thank goodness there are nice people like her willing to pick up a hitchhiker. I guess I'll have to keep taking the long way home, if I can't get off of page 11.

Puss, I was laughing so hard, you are absolutely right. Funny how we take things for granted. "World Series" is baseball and it never ocurred to me that the only teams that ever play in it are American and Canadian. What an eye opener that was. I am still giggling. Nope I still haven't touched the white wine, it has been 8 months now, but some of the things I do, I bet people think I am taking a nip now and then.

Wouldn't it be neat if we could all get together sometime, I would be so excited, I would be jumping up and down. You guys would have to hold me down the first half hour. We would all probably start talking all at once.

Shiela, sorry about the tooth. I have three crowns, on some of my molars, but no root things done.....thank goodness. DH has had a couple and if he complains, then I know it hurts. No Thank You! It is a heartbreaker when those children leave home. Reading you posts I got that sad hard lump in my throat remembering when my girls left home to go to college. Tell us some more DD stories, they always cheer us up. The dear man.

Willow, have you locked your back door yet. Work Ugh.... I would love to have taken Puss' advice and locked the back door when I got home from work today, but alas the grand kids are in and out and I certainly can't ignore them. I hope I can catch up with my real work next week. Well, keeping busy makes the day speed along so what the hey then.

Charolett, pretty cute mouse you have running around on the screen. We always get a couple in the house every year too. I absolutely hate it! It is a condition among other things of living in the country. I am not good with wild animals. It bothers me that I never know what they are thinking and I think it is some nerve showing up in my house uninvited.

Well I had better get myself off to bed. Willow thank you for all your help in getting me back home again. I really think something weird is happening with the forum or the intenet though, couldn't possible be perfect little old me could it?

You are all very precious

Bluet

"There is nothing on this earth more to be prized than true friendship." Saint Thomas Aquinas
  • Morning BLUET ~ Glad to see you found your home again... each time a thread is changed you have to go down to the bottom of the new page and SUBSCRIBE to it again. Then it will show up in your e-mail again. Just scroll down to where you see Subscribe to this Thread and click on it.

Good Luck and Have a Restful Weekend.
  • Hi everybody...Bluet...glad to see you made it home! I had no idea you were lost...but thankful SunnyD found you. She's a very sweet person...has helped me a lot. Know what you mean about mice. We live in the country. Right now, our house is wide open, with us working on it. So, you know what we're having problems with! I received an email telling all the different ways of using Bounty tissues. One was putting them on the floor for mice. They don't like the smell & will stay away. So...since I have no real "house" or "floor" anyway, I scattered the Bounty "everywhere"!!! Everyone that comes in wants to know what in the world is going on!! I say..."makes the house smell good"...& it does!! Oh, I also believe it DOES help with the mice!

Bluet...you may be right about the email. But, I find that if I don't post, I don't receive the email notification. But, if I do, then I receive notification of the next few posts. Anyway, I usually just go to the forum & find the thread I want...I'm on about 3 anyway.

Willow...sorry you're not feeling well. Hope you get better soon. I agree the ads look strange. But, I can live with it.

Fatpuss...maybe I can find something besides mice this time!
  • SunnyD thanks for bringing our Bluet back safe and sound - you don't have to be 50 to join us, I was 49 when I joined in the early Summer. Bluet, don't feel bad about getting lost, I was the same and only by saving the new thread to 'favourites' do I get here so quickly. I agree with you, for us all to meet up would be fun and I bring you some steamy British BR novels! Willow I hope you are feeling a bit better by now, bronchitis especially is horrible and you will probably need anti-biotics for that. Sheila, have you heard from DD yet? It probably seems an age to you and your DH but to her with her new busy training and lifestyle meeting so many new friends it is probably a short time. Plus, I guess she will be quite exhausted for a while. Jacqui, are you ok? Hope you are less stressed now your DM is in assisted housing and you are finding yourself more relaxed. I still have the nightly phone calls to make to my mother and as my brother says "same s**t, different day". Good job we have each other for support, he seems to be calmer when things get really bad, can shelve it all but I end up having nightmares and waking up with her on my mind the next day. Well, my dog racing night went very well. Once I had instructed dear friend on the differnt types of bets, (I worked at a Turf Accountants (betting shop) as a student) we were away and I won 3 out of the first five races by literally rooting for the underdog. Magnanimously I decreed that we would split any winnings and then I won the next race with the pricely prize of $14!! He won two further races bringing our grand total to about $40...I text the kids to say all their money worries were now over!! Daughter text back to ask for a silver AUDI sports car, no problem. It was a good evening and our winnings meant that the whole evening cost us about $7.5 each. We didn't stay in the indoor area but stood ringside to look at the dogs as they paraded round and I was frozen by the end of the night. I must confess, I had a tray of french fries dripping in salt and vinegar outdoors - haven't done that since I was a kid and shouldn't have had them but hey, I was celebrating massive wins here. Hope everyone is well.
  • Angel - I didn't leave you out, I had written a little note to myself to look up in the dictionary a word for your latest creation and it is SUPERLATIVE - that's what your latest creation is!! It is your best so far in my book, I love it to bits. As for the hint with the Bounty tissues - no way, I would be outta the house if I even SUSPECTED I had a mickey mouse living with me. How's the work going in the house? Must be a lot more heartening knowing everything you do now is towards moving in rather than at the begining when it was trying to salvage the bits to move out. I think your run of bad luck has probably ended and that will be your share now forever - I hope so.