Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 10:31 AM   #1  
soontobethin

Default stay at home moms #89

Welcome to a thread full of laughter, encouragment and friendship as we raise families, regain health and lose weight together. All are welcome- newcomers and present friends
Old 10-01-2003, 10:35 AM   #2  
soontobethin

Good morning all.
Its cold and foggy here today, so tired of the gloomy days already. Its not so bad if its sunny and cold, at least you can pretend its warm when you look outside.
Hope everyone is having a good day. Keep up the good work.
Ricci
Old 10-01-2003, 11:21 AM   #3  

Hi everyone!

Got room for someone new?

My name is Julie. I am a 30 year old mother of 4. I have a 6 year old daughter, 3 year old identical twin boys, and a 2 year old boy.

I have pretty much always been overweight. I have gotten to a point in my life where not only am I disgusted by what I see in the mirror, but the extra weight also keeps me from having the energy I need to keep up with my children.

I started trying to make a lifestyle change (cause we all know if you don't change how you eat, you won't keep off what you lose) a few months ago. Did pretty well for a couple of months (lost 14 lbs!), then hit a wall so to speak (but I have at least managed to maintain the weight loss and not gain any of it back). I was in a really bad car wreck a couple of years ago and I still have problems due to the injuries I sustained, so I have had a really hard time staying motivated to exercise because it's really hard to do that when you feel like utter crap (my chest/neck/shoulder areas have problems... ribs and joints are out of whack which in turn causes my muscles to spasm and hurt.. exercise is supposed to help, but is hard to do when you hurt!)

Anyway, the 3 goals I set for myself were as follows:

1)Drink water!
2)Exercise!
3)Don't eat after 7pm!

Before I started, I pretty much drank NO water at all. Now, I am up to 2-3 bottles a day. I know I need to drink more, but that in itself is a major accomplishment for someone who cannot stand the way water tastes. I do pretty well on number 3 also, every once in awhile I will have some popcorn or some other small snack but not very often. I also have cut back on how much I eat at a time. Number 2 is the one I have the most problems with. I have a work out tape that is for full figured women, a tabe for abs that is a 10 min workout, and a treadmill. My plan is to do the full work out tape one day and the next day do the 10 min tape and walk on the treadmill. Problem has been putting that plan into action. My biggest problem with the workout tapes is that I cannot do all the exercises. Any of the floor ones that require sit up type exercises or the ones where you have to be on your knees I cannot do due to injuries from the wreck. I really need an alternative to those exercises because my butt, stomach, hips and abs need some major help, LOL! (I am sure you can imagine how much help my stomach would need after giving birth to 4 kids.... 2 of them at the same time!!)

I have seen some people mention the Walk Away the Pounds tapes. Do these tapes do anything to help those problem areas??

Ok, I have probably bored you all to tears by now. I look forward to getting know all of you and hope that in finding some ladies who are having the same struggles, I can find the strength and motivation to get moving and get some more weight off!

Last edited by figgytwinsplustwo; 10-01-2003 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-01-2003, 12:58 PM   #4  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

JULIE - WELCOME! I am karen SAHM of 2 ages 7 and 5 (boy and girl respectively) I am 36 and have been married for 13 years. I have battled my weight since puberty and currently found the WOE for me through Atkins. Post often, these gals are the best for support! Not to mention all the laughter and mommy challenges we share!

Ok.. time to report in!

THe Trainer didnt measure me today because he waits 2 months to see good results.. but I did get weighed in and my body fat tested!

I lost 6 pounds!!
I lost 2.5% in body fat!!
I gained 1 pound in Muscle!

WOO HOO!!! He is very very proud of me!! And SO am I!!
Old 10-01-2003, 01:17 PM   #5  

WTG Karen!! Those are awesome results!

I just finished my workout tape. Hopefully, I will be able to stay motivated to do the exercising!
Old 10-01-2003, 01:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Good afternoon all!
My computer is dead i think. I'm posting on my DH's computer. I got that virus last month (the worm) and now my computer will come on but won't load internet explorer ormy email. Ugh. I don't know what to do. I've tried everything. I guess I have to post from here until DH gets home and can fix it. Maybe he'll be home sunday. I hope anyway.
Welcome Julie!! I'm Spryng, sahm of 3. Ava who is 3, joseph (aka bubba) who is 2 and Tanner who is 3 months old. I'm currently on weight watchers and loving every minute of it!
Karen, great results! That one lb gained in muscle is really going to help you burn more cals and lose better! I wish I knew whether or not I was gaining any muscle. I know I must be because I feel so strong lately and even hauled a swivel rocker out of my bedroom last night into the living room by myself! It didn't even make me sore. And thanks for the info on that treadmill. I am definitely going to get me one soon.
Ginny, how are you?? The dvd's I bought are The Firm body sculpting series. It's 3 dvds. One is cardio sculpt that has aerobics and weights combined (55 min and very intense) the nest is total body sculpt (45 min and I am doing this one regularly, it has 20 min lower body and 20 min upper body plus warm up and cool down) and then Ab sculpt, (it's 25 min and very intense, lots of crunches, reversed crunches, etc) I did the ab sculpt last night for the first time and it felt really good. My abs need all the help they can get. But tonight it will be the body sculpt. It has weights too.
Well I guess I need to get off here and figure out how to check my email on this computer. I hope I can. TTYL!
Old 10-01-2003, 01:59 PM   #7  

Oh just wanted to let you know that I bought a chocolate cake mix today and plan to try that diet coke cake! I'll let you know how it turns out! Bye!
Old 10-01-2003, 03:40 PM   #8  
Domestic Engineer

I was wondering if you had tried that cake yet Spryng! I told the boys that if they were good this afternoon we could make a cale- maybe I'll just be braave and try it out. So do you have the FAnny lifter with your Firm workouts? They sure look like good work outs- I have been wanting them for years. Maybe that will be a reward for myself when I work up to that point.

Karen- great results!! You are doing awesome you big LOSER

Welcome Julie!! I'm Emily, mom to 3 boys 5,3 (soon!) and 5 months. Our stats are very similar- how tall are you? I'm 5'7. Stick around and we can support each other in this endeavor!! I'm so sorry you are living with chronic pain! I think the WATP videos would be great for you- I'm not sure about the ab ones (Jen will know!) but the ones I have use 2 lb weights and you are doing knee- lifts and kick-backs- all very good for those problem spots, but in a low/non impact way. Maybe see if a video store or library has them first to check them out!

I knew I should have made notes from the other thread...I remember Jen had a great night's sleep last night (I'm jealous!!)...

My girls' dinner was a blast and I know I ate a little too much, but it also could have been a lot worse...I did keep my portions small, but there was just so much of everything to try! WE had 2 kinds of stew, cabbage rolls, homemade perogies, spinach salad and white cake w/pudding and raspberries for dessert- not to mention my spinach-crab dip. One thing I was proud of myself for was sticking with water when everyone else was drinking Martinellis- I had a very small amount because I really like it, but knew I didn't want my calories coming from juice when there was such yummy food to enjoy!
I've already done my 2-mile WATP and am going to go on another walk this evening. A new day is a fresh start!

Hope you are all having a great OP day!! ttfn
Old 10-01-2003, 03:43 PM   #9  

I'm 5'3". Once I reach my goal weight, I may adjust it. Even though I am short, for some reason, I carry my weight well and don't look as big as I am. When I make it to 140, then I will decide if I want to come down any further.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:27 PM   #10  

Emily I don't have the Fanny Lifter... but I will be buying it soon. I bought a regular 10 in step stool and I have a 4 in book I put on it to achieve the 14 in. And yes it is a good workout. Going up and down on that thing really gets your heart rate up and you can feel the burn in your "fanny" (lol) and thighs. So I know by really shaping all the muscles in my body, once I lose the weight I'll have nice toned areas.
Well I'm off to bake that cake. TTYL!
Old 10-01-2003, 05:29 PM   #11  
hangin' in there...

Spryng, let us know how that cake turns out! I actually have a chocolate cake mix in my pantry, and some diet vanilla coke, which I think would work well. Using the point slider, I figured the cake would be 3 points/slice, without topping. Hope you get your computer starightened out.... at least you have dh's until then.

Karen, a big woooo hooooo to you!!!!!

Welcome Julie!!!! Boy, you sure sound like you have your hands full!!! Just like the rest of us! I am Jen, mother of 3, ages 8, 6, and almost 3. I'm sorry to hear about your car accident and residual problems. The WATP tapes may be just the thing for you. They are very low-impact, and if you have back troubles, you could omit the hand weights and just do the motions without them, if the weight is too much. I am loving the WATP for Abs tapes, but I don't know how they'd be for you. Aerobically, they are a greater intensity, so you'd have to work up to them. But also, I don't know how that belt around your waist and the resistance bands would be on your back and shoulders. But, welcome to the thread, and stick around.... we have a good group here.

Emily, sounds like your night out was a success!!! I love great food (don't we all) and it sounds like it was worth a little indulging. Way to go on getting your work-out in.

Well, dinner's in the oven, so I gotta run.... I am ravenous!! Have a great night, girls!
Old 10-01-2003, 05:41 PM   #12  

Jen what are you having for dinner? I have the cheesy chicken casserole baking in the oven right now... the one Ginny posted a while back. I'm ravenous too And the cake is cooling on the counter. It looks just fine... I think it will taste just fine too but I won't know until after dinner, and mine is 3 pts per serving also. I think I am going to shop around and see if I can find one that is less pts per serving.
Well, gotta get Tanner up from his nap. He's been out 4 hours!!! I got a good 2 hour nap in myself TTYL!
Old 10-01-2003, 05:50 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally posted by spryng
He's been out 4 hours!!!
Those days are long gone here, lol. Actually, my two year old still takes a good 2-3 hour nap, but the twins don't. They still go in their room for an hour or so of quiet time (yeah right, lol), but rarely go to sleep anymore. Quiet time will probably end soon (if I can ever get dh to get off his butt and help me fix the wallpaper in their room!). They kept tearing the border off their walls (and some of the wallpaper!) so we haven't replaced it yet (which makes their room look icky!). Once we do, naptime for them will be no more since that is primarily when all the tearing was done.

We are having chicken and rice tonight. I still have almost 900 calories left for the day, so I should be ok for intake today.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:31 PM   #14  

Just popping on here for a second.
Question for Ginny- that chicken casserole says it serves 8... is that 8 1 cup servings??
Julie, I know what you mean about "quiet" time. My two older kids go down for a two hour nap but unless they are sick they don't nap anymore also. They use to be really bad about emptying out their dresser drawers or tearing pages out of books... but now they actually play quietly in there. I guess they grew out of it. My dd, when she was potty training used to be so bad about painting her walls with her poop during nap time!! Boy I used to hate going in there to get her... thankfully she didn't do that very many times and my ds who just completed potty trainging has never tried it. (Thank God!) But that is something I have written in her baby book so I can embarass her with when she's older! lol.
Ok I need to get off here and finish up dinner. I just had that question about servings. TTYL!
Old 10-01-2003, 06:59 PM   #15  
One day at a time.

Hi there~!

Sorry I didn't make it back yesterday, but Myra is not feeling very good again. Anyway, I have to post and run, I lost 3.4 lbs. at my weigh in last night, so I'll up have to post my stats!

Take care all!!!
Closed Thread