Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 06:17 PM   #1  

Talking Dr Phil's Wieght Loss Challenge #3

Other thread was getting too long.....hope no one minds me making a new one.

So, what do you guys think of today's show?

Deb
Old 09-16-2003, 06:24 PM   #2  

Hi All!

Okay, here's an idea for any of you Ebay buffs....sell a copy of the shows! I went to Dr. Phil's site and he's charging $30 per show. I would love a copy of the shows that I missed but I'm not paying that!

Deb
Old 09-16-2003, 06:50 PM   #3  
We can do this..and will!

I just watched the show and am as motivated to do whatever it is that Dr. Phil has in mind for these 13 people.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:58 PM   #4  
Psalm 91:9-11

Location: I am from 29 Palms, California... but now live in Northeast, Ohio

S/C/G: SW-245.5/CW-209/GW-170

Height: 5'5"

Angry Deb

Thanks Deb!

I try to keep positive... I have really enjoyed being a part of these Threads and you all have just been so wonderful - how could I not be

Quote:
Hi All!

The new job is working well for this diet! I work in a hospital and get my lunch half price....salad I don't have to cut up? I'm game. Probably the only way I'll eat it. I always buy veggies with the best of intentions but....

Only got the second half of both shows . Asked my brother to tape them but he didn't . Really like what I saw so far. Can't wait to see how they do in the house. Didn't expect that. Know what you mean about seeing yourself in the twelve.

Thanks for starting the book thread Angel. I think I'm going to check out Dr Phil's site and see how they are going to handle it. Wonder if we should keep this thread open as well as the one for the book?

Hi Sunny . Saw your posts and seem so upbeat!

Deb
Old 09-16-2003, 09:02 PM   #5  

Angry

Good Show!

I like the people he choose to do the Challenge...
all types, shapes and sizes... just like us!
Looks like it is going to be like a reality type show, doesn't it?
Hummm...

So wonderful to hear that everything is going so well with the new job & diet! Yeahhh!

Last edited by SunnyD57; 09-16-2003 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:35 AM   #6  
I'm doing it this time!

S/C/G: 189/175/145

Height: 5' 4"

Did anyone else tear up when Dr. Phil choose Terri as the 13th challenger? I was thinking of her when they panned the camera in her direction, after they choose the 12th person. She looked so sad, because they talked about her the day before. She was desperate. When he came back on and said it was too close and he wants 13 instead of 12, and told Terri to come on up, you could tell she was in total shock of happiness. I was crying! What a joy for her, and a great thing for Dr. Phil to do. He must of noticed her disappointment too.

Can't wait to see the group in the house. It's like the Real World (when I used to watch it years ago), only better! This people I can relate to. Some of them throw out other people's junk food, and they all turn on each other. Who would be stupid enough to bring junk food into a mansion supplied by Dr. Phil to help you lose weight? How stupid is that? He really jumps on some of them for that!

See ya all later! This is going to be too fun!
Heidi
Old 09-17-2003, 07:35 AM   #7  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I finally watched both shows yesterday. I felt so bad for some of those people! Some of those stories made me tear up.

That woman whose husband made fun of her all the time really ticked me off Especially when he made the crack about her having to be picked up by the cherry picker when she fell on the construction site! What an insensitive jerk!

I am really glad he picked Terri at the end

There are some people who say he is just in this for the money but I really I think he wants to help people. What he was saying on the shows was practical (i.e) finding your suitable weight, working on the reasons your are overweight etc. Most diets don't do that and are a quick (mostly temporary) fix. Hopefully this challenge will help people mentally, emotionally and physically

I start reading the book today - looking forward to the discussion in the book club forum!
Old 09-17-2003, 08:43 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally posted by mauvaisroux
There are some people who say he is just in this for the money but I really I think he wants to help people.
I agree.

I mean I'm sure he's not looking to lose money on this endeavour but I don't think making money is his only motivation. This is just a public extension of what he's done in his private practice for years.

I also saw the look on his face during the part of the show where he was watching people's tapes. He really wants to help people.

And if he's trying to make money by telling people the truth, isn't that a heck of a lot better than companies who try to make money by selling us a bunch of lies?!?!
Old 09-17-2003, 09:54 AM   #9  
GmaTo8

Hi ladies,

I'm just passing through, but wanted to mention, if you don't already know, that Dr. Phil's book is available on CD. His voice as motivation can only be a good thing! Too bad I can't get his show on my sattelite dish out here in the boonies where I am.

Regarding him making money, well he can't do it for free! And as someone said, at least he is promoting something that is truthful and doable.

Have fun and stay OP!
Jana
Old 09-17-2003, 10:02 AM   #10  

Angry Wednesday

Good Morning Gang!

And a very Good Morning to Mrs K & Jana! Good to meet you

I must agree that Dr. Phil is not doing this for the money... why begrudge someone their due? If he has put in the time to help all of us out, don't you think it is only fair he is to be paid for it? I know that I would like to be paid for the work I do. It's what he does with his money that matters. I do know that he gives to many charitable events and causes like Oprah does.

So let's walk a mile in his shoes before we say something about the $ he is paid. Be happy for him that he is successful, because of his success --- many are being helped! (I do not write this in a scolding manner, just an informative one ).

Dr. Phil is a man who is living what he preaches... therefore he has success in his life. We can do it too...

"Be successful!"

Have a Beautiful Day Ladies!

Last edited by SunnyD57; 09-17-2003 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:08 AM   #11  

Angry Deb

Hi Deb ~

Don't blame you there... it is costly to get taped shows. Maybe you could see if someone is willing to loan you theirs? Ask around at work or a neighbor friend... I am sure there has to be someone passing their tapes around
And E-bay is a great idea!
Old 09-17-2003, 10:25 AM   #12  
hangin' in there...

morning gang

I, too, was just thrilled when Dr. Phil chose Terri in the end. You could tell that the audience was even happy..... such applause! I think it is going to be very interesting to watch these people over the next 10 months. I don't envy them......... they have a very tough job ahead of them. We all have a tough road to walk, but most of us are doing it privately. Kudos to these 13 people, for their courage!!!!!

To jump in on the money discussion.... here's my 2 cents, for what it's worth. I agree that you can't begrudge a person for making a living. Just the other night at work, I had this month's issue of O magazine with me, and I made a comment about how fabulous Oprah looks these days. A co-worker remarked, "yeah, I could look like that, too, if I had a whole staff working for me and unlimited amounts of money." Sorry, but I just found that to be a very b!tchy comment!!! Sure, Oprah has a personal trainer and a personal chef, etc..... but, she has worked pretty darn hard for these things! I don't have to point out to everyone where she came from. I feel the same way about Dr. Phil. If you've read "Self Matters" you know a little of how he got to where he is. Should we put him down for working hard to get where he is? Sure, he's gonna make money off of this, but he is also going to help thousands of people. To anyone who holds that against him, I say, sour grapes!

Well, I shall step off the soapbox and leave it for the next person.........

Last edited by gemini; 09-17-2003 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:39 AM   #13  

Angry

Here! Here! JEN!

I don't believe that we should envy anyone for what they have in their lives (and that's all that is when neg. comment's are made)... be happy for them, I am sure they have worked hard for it. But even if they haven't worked for it... things always work out "in the end"

My parents have money now that they are both retired (my mom an RN and my dad Marine Officer) and I hear talk all the time and they worked hard and suffered much... *envy* sheer envy. That's all it is. Why can't people just be happy for others today. Work hard and you WILL be rewarded for it - one way, or another.

--- Okay, I'm getting down... NEXT!

God Bless!

Last edited by SunnyD57; 09-17-2003 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:57 PM   #14  
GmaTo8

Hi again,

I really was only passing through, and had no intension of butting in on your group, but I have a question -

I found out I CAN get Dr. Phil's show, with rabbit ears, and when I went to the TV station's program listing, it has todays show as
"Competitive parents", or something like that! I thought this would be about the dieters??? When do we see a new episode of THAT show again? Obviously I missed 2 very important shows, but what about the rest of them? I mean, now that they have picked the group, what's next.

Also, I DO think $30 is way too much for a tape of the show! Yes, he is entitled to make money, (as I said, he can't do it for free) but holy cow! $30??? Per tape???? That is way to steep for most of us......

Thanks bunches,
Jana
Old 09-17-2003, 02:30 PM   #15  

Angry

Hi Jana

Yes, the focus this season is on Wt Loss, but I think he is doing it every Monday from here on in... He did two shows to begin the New season for choosing the people to be on the TV program for the Wt. Loss, but now it will be on other topics on the other days.

If I hear something different, I will let yu know, okay.
Later...
Closed Thread