Need a little direction

• Hey everyone..

Since this is my first post before anything I would just like to say hi so, hi .

I found this forum in hopes of getting a little guidance with where I can find a proper diet/routine. Hopefully this is the one ( seems from reading the posts for the last hour or so, that this is the jackpot ).

Anyways, I am a 19 year old male. I am aprox 6'2/6'3" I have a fairly big figure as it is ( big hands/feet fairly wide etc.. )
    I currently weigh about 290. I would like to bring this down to about 190 or 200 ( with muscle ). So I was wondering if anyone could help me out with where to start? I am pretty much completely lost.

Most of my friends are trying to gain weight so they drink protein shakes. So I don't think that is the right thing for me. I am willing to do basically anything. I am just fed up with everything.

I do have a lot of stress in my life, or have had a lot of stress over my life time. But I don't know if that is what it is. I have been overweight since I was about 8 or 9 years old. But it has gotten worse the last 4-5 years. But now it is time to change all of that.

What I am wondering is:
    What kind of diet should I do? ( I hear atkins is great? )
    What kind of vitamins should I take? ( If any )
    What kind of workout should I do?

I would like to try and get a complete guideline as I have tried to make my own up, not very successful. by reading what to eat what not to eat. I am not picky if it involves me eating nothing but lettuce no dressing for 4 months I don't mind... I just need like a 1-2 week schedule I can then repeat.

Any help would be GREATLY Appreciated.

Thanks everyone.
  • Welcome! There is alot of info. at this site, but it all comes down to eating healthier and getting some exercise. Any eating plans will work for awhile, but try to find one that you can stick to and feel good about. Atkins does work for some, but most people can't live that way forever, so they gain the weight back. I lost 25# on Atkins, but gained back 40# when I started eating breads and some other starches again. I joined Weight Watchers and started to exercise in Jan. of this year, and have gone from 209# to 147#, I am 5'7". This works for me and I know I can eat anything in moderation. I buy low fat whenever I can, such as cheeses, soups, breads, sandwich meats, chips, etc. I drink alot of water and try to work out 30 min. 5 times a week. Hope this helps you and keep us posted on your progress!
  • Ok thanks, so the atkins isn't the best idea then.
    I am prepared to work out 1.5 hours a day.. .5 hours of cardio and 1 hour of muscle building.
  • Welcome welcome-

You sound very serious about wanting to get into a better healthier life style. That's a great start. And that's always the hardest part in starting anything! Admitting we need help.

I agree with Idealperson, there are a lot of info in these forums.
    Just browse around and find an area that most fits what you're looking for. And believe me, you'll find help and support everywhere.

I've heard Atkins works, but only for some. I myself have never tried it, I wouldn't want to limit myself forever. When you decide to change things, it's a life long commitment, even when you've reached your goal.

You're excercise plan sounds good. Just make sure you don't over do it. There are many who work out almost everday, and I've been told that you actually need to let your body and muscles rest and that 3-4 days a week is better for long and lasting results. I believe that you can do this. You have the will and I can tell just by reading your post. Feel free to keep everyone updated with how you're doing. And we'll cheer you on.

I'm with the Jaded Ladies in the "Clubs and Groups" area if you would like to talk more about how you're doing or about anything else.

Good luck and I hope you find a place here to feel comfortable in!
    Marti
  • Thanks again,

yes I do plan to let my muscles heal, I will hopefully (if I can find) do a routine so that i work out my upper half one day my mid half one day and my legs the next. and repeat. then take the weekends off.
  • Frodo: Welcome to the site! Please go to www.dietitian.com and in the upper left corner is a calculator. Click on it, fill out the info and it will tell you how many calories and fat to take in to lose either one or 2 lbs a week which is safe. It also lists some different types of exercises and how many calories are burned.

**Regarding exercise** To have it HELP you lose weight, you MUST do at least an hour 5 times a week. As you can see by my stats, I am morbidly obese and when I started I did what I could 7 days a week rain or shine. I started walking 1/2 mile twice a day and it was exhausting, but now I exercise an hour in the pool and 45 minutes on an eliptical glider and even shove some walking in there when I can.

Good luck to you and if you would like somewhere you can go to get positive re-enforcement and have weight loss be fun and not a drudge check out Time for Serious Fun here on the support.

Faye
  • Frodo, It's all about finding what works for you and what you can live with. If you really like protein and don't mind cutting out your carbs, then Atkins can work for you and be something that you can live with long term. It's all about finding a plan that you can live with. I know that I need something sweet to look forward to at the end of the day, so I've created my plan to include a dessert every day. I cut my calories, but I make room for the things that I know I really want. That helps me to stay on track and not to cheat.

I too exercise for over an hour every day. I only do weight training every other day, 3 days a week, but I do cardio every day. It's also important to change your workout routine every month or 6 weeks so that your body doesn't get used to what you're doing. Exercise makes all the difference.

Good luck and be sure to keep us posted.
  • Wow, this board really does make me feel like there is some other people out there. Very helpful board.

Thanks everyone, I will now hunt for the perfect diet. I will post results in the forums you have suggested.