20 Tbl Spoons of Sugar daily

• I drink 10 cups of Tea daily which contain 20 TBL SPOONS of Sugar I want to know how bad is it.
  • That's way too much sugar, IJS.
  • If you have to have your tea sweet, try switching to stevia drops.
  • That's definitely a habit to kick.
  • A tablespoon of sugar is 12g, so 20 tablespoons is 240g, and 960 calories. So yes, it's very bad. It'll make you fatter, and greatly increase your risk of diabetes, heart disease, and many other diseases.

You should avoid having more than 25g added sugar per day (about 2 tablespoons), and the less added sugar the better. If you crave sweets, try eating some fruit (and I mean whole fruit, not juice).

Giving up the sugar all at once would be best. If that's too difficult, try to decrease the sugar gradually.
  • I used to drink my tea sweet, too. I could not stand plain tea, iced or hot! What I did was very gradually reduce the amount of sugar in my tea (and switched to honey for the hot teas, but also slowly reduced that). So for example, you are using 2 tablespoons of sugar in each cup of tea. That equals 6 teaspoons per cup. So tomorrow, in each cup add 5 teaspoons measured. That alone will cut out 10 teaspoons, which is over 3 tablespoons, of sugar. Do that for a few days. Then cut back to 4 teaspoons per cup, then 3, then 2, then 1. Eventually you can cut sugar out altogether.

Also, try subbing a glass of water for one or two of your cups of tea, as that is another way to quickly reduce the sugar in your diet.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
  • Well one can of coke probably has more
  • Quote: Well one can of coke probably has more
    A can of coke has 39g sugar (3.25 tbsp). That's less than 20, but more added sugar than you should be eating in a day.
  • I rarely add any sugar or honey to tea and have come to really enjoy drinking herbal teas. There are so many types of herbal tea available and each has their own unique taste. I especially enjoy drinking a cup of peppermint or red clover tea. You can make iced tea as well using herbal tea. Most herbal teas are naturally caffeine-free as well.