Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-01-2017, 05:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/150

Height: 5ft3 ish

Default Cravings

I have such strong cravings for the same few foods most of the time. Some days are ok, I can forget about them or push them away. Other days, I have an internal argument in the food store of why I " deserve" magnum crack ice cream, strawbs, skittles, or the whole baguette. It's tiring and I know it may not be the worst thing in the world but to constantly think of this stuff is making me want it more. How am I ever going to get to goal weight if I'm struggling with myself all the time? I am extremely busy, without a moments rest. I work 50-55 hrs a weeks s a nurse , have a family and in my second year of a diploma. So it's not that I'm bored, but when I stop at the store for milk or lie awake in bed , food is all I think about.
cheddahcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/152/??

Height: 5'6

Hey!!! Girl... I love ALL the foods that you mentioned above!! I have definitely been here before. I guess my first question would be is... what kind of diet are you on? Is it really strict? I had more success with more moderate diets that allowed me to incorporate "treats." This also helped me learn how to enjoy a little of something, without feeling like I HAD to finish it. For example, I give skittles occasionally to my students, and allow myself a few. Now I keep them in my desk without worry that I'm going to inhale the whole bag.

The second thing is to just remember that the grocery store is a virtual land mine when it comes to cravings. The food industry deliberately spends billions of dollars on advertising and product creation to make you feel like, "I HAVE to try that!" or "I HAVE to have that!" So, that's not your fault and it doesn't mean you're weak-willed... their marketing is just really effective! I always keep this in mind when I'm at the store, as I also have moments of "I want to eat all this junk food and it's not fair and why can't I just have everything I want" kind of temper tantrums.

I guess the last question would be - are you too hungry? That will for sure make cravings stronger. So, I will eat some nuts or an apple or something, usually that will make any hunger-related craving go away.
dawnlouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:46 AM   #3  

We've all been there. It sounds like you are on a strict diet, though.

Personally, I follow the principle of balance. I do my best to eat right, without feeling like I'm depriving myself. It doesn't work for everybody, but eating often, in much smaller portions, helps me not to get hungry. I also drink lots of water, so it makes me feel full all the time.

You wake up in the middle of the night craving for something possibly because you're hungry and you didn't eat enough for dinner. If you try eating more often, you may not feel hungry in the middle of the night. But if you do, try a small amount of nuts or an apple.

It sounds like you have a job that keeps you active so that's a good thing. Take care!
Keiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 03:57 PM   #4  
Keto Warrior

S/C/G: 196/165/150

Height: 5'7"

Oh gosh...been there done that so many times. Cravings are part of being Still, if you're craving badly and regularly that's a sign your blood sugar levels are out of whack - going high then crashing low. Test them and see then take a look at the foods you regularly eat. Is your diet too heavy on quick carbs? Do you make space in your calorie allowance for a sugary treat every day? Keep a food diary and see what foods you've been eating a few hours before your cravings hit then you'll find your answers. Stay strong
MrsMcsMuffins is offline   Reply With Quote