3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Weight Loss Support

Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-18-2017, 11:20 AM   #1

S/C/G: 227/139.6/130

Height: 5' 3"

Default How has your approach to and perception of weight loss changed over time?

This is more of a question for people who are losing weight slowly and have been at it for a long time, like for over a year up to many years. It would also apply to people who have already lost and are now maintaining, I suppose, what your perception was during versus your perception afterwards. I find that when I come to the forum now I look at topics differently than when I started. I think the mentality of weight loss changes with time and how far one has or hasn't come in that amount of time. We change our minds, we change habits, we may stop doing one thing and start doing another, we may find something that was once important or essential isn't that important, we go in and out of that desperate feeling, we might get more relaxed about the journey or more uptight about it, we might discover unhealthy foods that don't negatively affect our weight and healthy foods that do, we learn things that are specific to our own bodies instead of just general information, etc. I was just curious if anyone wants to share their experiences of how they approached weight loss in their earlier stages versus how they approach it now after being on a journey for a very long time. I think this is more of a personal thing rather than weight loss advice for others.

Weight loss since January 2014
Year 1: 227-176
Year 2: 176-156
Year 3: 156-143
circa83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:43 PM   #2

Hmm, I think I qualify as someone who has been at it for a long time. It has been mostly the same few pounds coming on and off the whole time, but I think my habits have improved as my metabolism has slowed down with age, or else it would be more than the same few pounds.

I've become more comfortable with controlling what I eat to some extent. In my 20's, I remember it seemed like it would be really difficult/impossible to consistently resist buying 3 donuts for the sale price at the donut shop. Now it wouldn't cross my mind to buy more than one.

I've mostly stopped buying whole regular sized boxes of cookies, which was a normal thing to buy back then. But occasionally I still do it (sometimes several times over a month or two) and still can't control eating them all in a couple of days. As I'm writing this and the item above, I realized both partly had to do with changes in my economic situation. I got a better paying job after my 20's, and could pay less attention to the cost of my food in my 30's. Then I moved to a higher cost of living area and went back to occasionally buying some cheaper things, like a regular size box of cookies that provides more immediate satisfaction and costs half as much as fancy littler boxes. (Obviously I try not to, but it is more challenging to attend to both cost and health.)

I changed from focusing on low fat to calories at some point, even though it seemed like it would be impossible at the time.

I think more about my long term health now. I make at least some effort to avoid artificial sweetener and artificial color, while when I was younger, I wouldn't worry about artificial sweetener and wasn't really aware of artificial color.
myst321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:45 PM   #3

I didn't consider the cost factor. That definitely effects how and what we eat. I am the the same about laying off the artificial colors, not 100 percent of the time but a general practice. I've never liked artificial sweeteners but I've found that I can still enjoy desserts made with regular sugar, just half of it in the recipe which is sweet enough. I haven't tried low fat but I started out low carb and was eating things by the serving size. Now I'm not as particular. It's like I know what I can get away with. My habits are better but in some ways worse. Knowing what I can get away with has become a free pass to eat certain types of foods that aren't typically healthy, but they don't actually hinder my weight loss so I do it anyway.

Old 06-24-2017, 02:02 PM   #4

Yes, I guess I've never worried about eating unhealthy foods that don't effect my weight loss. I figure there aren't very many of them, so I'll just enjoy it if I have enough calories left for some kind of snack or dessert. (Of course, sometimes I have it when I don't have enough calories left too, but my goal is not to)
myst321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 05:05 PM   #5

I've only dabbled in calorie counting for a month or so but could not stick with it. Has it become 2nd nature for you to count calories, like now you do it without really thinking about it? Do you think you would eat a similar amount of calories even if you weren't actively counting them or do you find that it's something you have to stay on top of to avoid eating too much?