Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 05:56 AM   #1  

Arrow went to the gym today..

well I went to the gym today, did 30mins of bicyle.. and 5mins of that air glide jogging thing... broke a pretty good sweat.. I also paid the membership dues and the first month fee.

So now I am on the right track will go every weekday, and will do muscle building 3 times a week.

So now I have found this, I am still diet-less. If anyone could help me find a great diet. I have looked for atkins on the net, but came up with nothing ( couldn't even find the diet at, atkins.com ).

Thanks again
Old 09-10-2003, 06:36 AM   #2  
Om shanti

Atkins is best only approached after carefully reading and understanding the book. The 'net is a notoriously bad place to get such detailed information -- unfortunately, the best things in life aren't free. <grin>

Personally, I'd aim more towards The Zone at this point than Atkins, but like clothing choices, diet choices are rather personal.
Old 09-10-2003, 03:59 PM   #3  
Waiting for ONEDERLAND!

S/C/G: 209/209/150

Height: 5'10"

Congrads at your work out!!

About diet plans.. I dont know.. I keep trying to lower my carbs but it just seems impossible. But I did switch to whole wheat bread, and complex carbs are not bad!

Im also trying to limit my calorie and fat intake.. just keep an eye on it.... and kind of have my own sort of weight loss-diet plan to go by....

good luck and i hope u find something that works for you!!
Old 09-10-2003, 04:11 PM   #4  

thanks
what exactly is "the zone"? Do you have a website with more information on it? Anything would be great

thanks again
Old 09-10-2003, 11:20 PM   #5  

Height: 5'1"

Frodo!
Good to see you again. I was hoping you would post again and share how you're doing. Sounds like you're doing very well. Getting all set up with a gym and everything. I like your routine you have set for yourself. You are definately going to succeed.

About the diet thing. I wish I had some advise on what's good. But everyone is different with different needs. I myself have just been measuring everything I eat. Lessening my portion sizes. I'm always amazed at what a portion size is and what I had been eating!! It's crazy I tell ya. The first week or two you feel like your depriving yourself, but then you get used to it and your body gets more energy and feels better.

Well keep us informed on how you're doing. I'll cheer you on with your success!!

Marti
Old 09-11-2003, 12:16 AM   #6  

try Lowcarbfriends.com for Atkins....
Old 09-11-2003, 06:30 AM   #7  
Om shanti

Here's information on The Zone:

For years experts have been telling Americans what to eat and what not to eat. Fat, they told us, was the enemy. Then it was salt, then sugar, then cholesterol... and on it goes.

Americans listened and they lost -- but not their excess fat. What they lost was their health and waistlines. Americans are the fattest people on earth... and why? Mainly because of the food they eat.

In this scientific and revolutionary book, based on Nobel Prize winning research, medical visionary and former MIT researcher Dr. Barry Sears makes peak physical and mental performance as well as permanent fat loss, simple for you to understand and to achieve.

For instance, did you know that your genes haven't changed for the past 100,000 years? And that 8,000 years ago there were no grains, bread or pasta? The evolution of man's digestive system has been based on a diet of low-fat protein and low-density carbohydrate fruits and fiber-rich vegetables. What that now means for us is that we should still be eating like cavemen and not like cows. Why? Because genetically, mankind has not evolved to a stage at which we can consume excessive amounts of grains and breads without adverse chemical consequences.

With lists of good and bad carbohydrates, easy-to-follow food blocks and delicious recipes, The Zone provides all you need to begin your journey toward permanent fat loss, great health, and all-around peak performance.

In balance, your body will not only burn fat, but you'll fight heart disease, diabetes, PMS, chronic fatigue, depression, and cancer as well as alleviate the painful symptoms of diseases such as multiple sclerosis and HIV.

This Zone state of exceptional health is well known to champion athletes. Your own journey toward it can begin with your next meal. You will no longer think of food as merely an item of pleasure or a means to appease hunger. Food is your medicine and your ticket to that state of ultimate body balance, strength, and great health: the Zone.
Old 09-11-2003, 04:21 PM   #8  

Default My Two Cents

I had to comment on the Atkins talk... be very careful! I tried this diet, and ended up with health problems... doctors found ketones and said that my body was in starvation mode which could be hurting my vital organs. I have so many friends that did Atkins only to gain weight back anyways. I read this book by Diane Sawyer's trainer Jim Karas, and I've been able to lose 27 pounds and keep it off. Even if you don't like this diet, try one like it- it's not harmful to your body but rather helps you to eat healthy and lose weight. I learned that it's not about all protein, or no carbs or no or all anything, but BALANCE. Let me know what you guys think...
Old 09-11-2003, 05:32 PM   #9  
Om shanti

A lot of doctors know very little about nutrition, and even less about the difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis. Very few doctors would understand what they're seeing and interpret it properly, even if they didn't personally disagree with the research that shows that Atkins is relatively safe when practiced properly.

When I tried Atkins my cholesterol shot up, but that happens with about 10% of the folks, and my doctor knew exactly what to keep an eye on, and when the numbers started going in a bad direction had me stop Atkins. However, it really is essential to work with a doctor who actually knows Atkins and doesn't have preconceived notions against it.
Old 09-12-2003, 02:24 AM   #10  

Default Fantastic!!

Brian-

I had to post and tell you that I looked at your "celebrating 100lbs lost" and you and Robbie look fabulous!! What an inspiration to us all. I didn't get a chance to read it all, but looking at the little I did, I just had to tell you that you two look INCREDIBLE and congratulations for achieving a healthier lifestyle. It has certainly made me more motivated!! Thank you for sharing

Marti
Old 09-12-2003, 05:49 AM   #11  
Om shanti

Thanks! from both of us!
Old 09-15-2003, 12:52 AM   #12  

Well after a nice recovery day ( birthday weekend ) I am ready to get back to the gym tomorrow. I assume the drinking I did this weekend won't be good for any progress. But I did go to the gym on Friday. The gym I joined gives a free personal trainner session... not exactly sure on the details. But I did book an appointment with him/her for monday night at 7:00. Hopefully they can give me the exact diet/workout routine to fit my needs.

I will post progress, maybe some pictures ( If I get a little less shy ). I should also post in other peoples threads to help them along as well.

Good luck everyone!
Old 09-17-2003, 12:37 AM   #13  

gym gym... 2 days in a row now .. and I am dieing lol. Ah well tomorrow is a cardio only day, and then 2 days of muscle training/cardio again then a well deserved weekend.
I hope this all gets easier...
Old 09-17-2003, 12:46 AM   #14  

You're doing great Frodo!! I'm so glad that you're doing this. What kind of diet did you decide to do? Atkins? Whatever it is, I hope it works out great.

I think that once your body starts getting used to the healthier lifestyle, it will become easier. And you'll look forward to going to the gym believe it or not. I used to go to the gym after work everyday. Then I had surgery at the beginning of the year and then the plant I worked for closed,and......yeah, I know.....excuses. But at the moment, my membership is on hold. But by the end of this month... I'll be going again and I'm really looking forward to it. Tone up my muscles that have disappeared!!

Keep up the good work!!!

Marti
Old 09-17-2003, 09:41 AM   #15  

Hey thanks, you're really supportive I slept early last night ( 11:00 ) and woke up at 5:00. I think I should go back to bed for a little bit. My muscles are still KILLING ME. I also got a current picture of my self which I am going to post in about 5minutes here.. post another one in 2 months see how much I improved ( hopefully a lot )
Closed Thread