Dr. Phil's weight loss challange

You're on Page 1 of 4
Go to
  • Anyone else looking forward to Dr. Phil's new book coming out Sept. 9th? I think he makes A LOT of sense when it comes to why we are overweight and what to do about it. (Dieting isn't his major focus)

Can't wait to read it! I hope someone will join me in the new challange with Dr. Phil's guidance. I need major help in the emotional/addictive eating mentality. I need a swift kick in the b*tt and to start getting real with why I overeat. It's gotta work this time!

Heidi
    150/150/135
  • Heidi, I'm planning on getting the book and also taping the shows ... not sure about a challenge of any kind yet until I see what the program is. I saw a commercial for the shows he's doing ... seems like he's putting a group up in a big house and having them do his program. Sort of a reality show thing, maybe? Looks interesting.

Hope you keep posting this and keep us posted. Thanks!
  • Hi Ladies!

I'm wondering how this show will be too. They were advertising in my area looking for people to participate. I thought about it but chickened out....Dr. Phil kind of scares me . Think he's have the same magical power as my mom's evil eye when I was a kid!

I'm going to tape it and try to follow. Remember when he did a similar thing on Oprah? I felt like kicking myself when I saw the follow up a few months later. Should have started....know what I mean?

So yes, count me in!

Deb
  • Anyone else joining? This thread got lost in the back...thought I'd post and pull it to the front.

Deb
  • i have posted some information about dr phils philosphy on the general diet plan board that you guys may want to look at...
  • I would love to join the challenge. I probably won't be able to watch the show, so I will have to tape it. Do you know if he will be talking about it daily, or will he have a designated day to cover the topic? I would like to get the book, but the only books that hold my attention are good old fashioned trashy novels! Good luck to all! Summer
  • lol...got to love those trashy novels!

Deb
  • When will these shows start??
    I am working when his show is on so never get to watch him. But, if he's going to be having shows that correlate with this book that's coming out, I'd like to tape them too.
    Does anyone know when these shows start, and if they will be daily, and for how long. A week, a month, ...?

I'll see about a challenge, ... I'll decide when I see what it's all about.

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me on it.
  • Dr. Phil sickens me, and all he is doing is making money off of one truth -- before you can lose weight, you need to find out what is "eating you." There are plenty of books already out there by folks like Geneen Roth, etc., that can help. (I can't stand his smarmy smugness. Where the heck did Oprah find this idiot?)

Right now, I'm working with a qualified therapist on dealing with my rage (long story). It took me a while to realize that I was trying to avoid my feelings, so I ate. We're also working on a sexual issue that seems to be keeping me from going further with my weight loss.

Turn off your TVs and turn on to yourselves!
  • DIDDO!!!!!
    VIKING MOM ~ You are right on the money! I couldn't have said it better!!!! I too am a Dr. Phil & Oprah fan and they haved helped me so much. I was sexually abused as a child also (from the ages of 5 till I was 12 --- my father) and today I have a wonderful relationship with both my parents... we have come through it and today love one another so very much! We all have crosses to bear and I am truely Thankful for people like Dr. Phil & Oprah who have helped so many and done so much! Thank you for saying what I couldn't put into words, Viking mom!!! Thank-you!!

WUNDAWOMAN ~ You have my prayers... you have allot of issues to work through!!

God's Blessings!
  • WundaWoman- I dont think anyone should go through life blindly believing everything any one person says as the only way it is....

While I dont always agree with what Dr phil or Oprah say I do thank them for bringing issues to light and making people stop and think..... because of the oprahs and dr phils issues that have in the past been behind closed doors are now out in the open and discussed.... I mean think about it????

I come from a very messed up family.... sexually abused by my grandfather from the time I was 4-13 years old, mother a drug addict from the time I was 8, physical and phsyiological abuse abounds..... but you think back to the 70's and 80's..... people didnt talk about it.... period..... you didnt bring it up....

I do think that because of these talk shows that had the courage (or maybe they were just after ratings) to bring these issues and others out and talk about them They quit being taboo to talk about....

I dont think that people like me (and maybe you) are going to be healed or fixed by these shows.... but I think it makes us realize that we are not unfixable.... that there is hope.... that it makes us look into healing ourselves.....

Also I think there are people out there that will never get help.... either because of money or pride or whatever.... and if they can get some healing from these shows then more power to them....

I wish you luck in your journey.
  • wundawoMAN
    Uh, brave girl for taking on the Phil thread.

You're right to feel cautious about any leader of a large following. I agree with Angel on that. I have to say that one-on-one therapy is probably a lot more constructive in the long run, though I believe Oprah and Dr. Phil are good for a kick-in-the-pants, feel-good, you-can-DO-it motivation. That's what I get from her magazine, anyway. Good on ya for thinking critically!

I don't know much about Dr. Phil - he's a brave guy to be tackling weight loss when he's an admitted non-expert in that field. Hope he's got a good nutritionist, personal trainer and an M.D. on the payroll!

Anyway, since I don't know that much about Dr. Phil, I guess I'll get off a thread devoted to him! I just wanted to say "hey" to my friend wundawoman. Good luck, ladies, on the new program coming out - I'll have a lood at the book, myself, of course. Can't hurt, can it?
  • I cann't wait til September 9th...I will be the first in line to buy the book!!!...I have several issues from my childhood~abandonment and sexual abuse being the worst..that to this day at age 34 greatly bother me...I have been to therapy once and it really did not help me..I came to some truths in therapy...but have never really let them gooooo!...I absolutely LOVE Oprah..she can speak to the heart like no one else can..She has been thru it all! Sexual abuse, weight issues, men issues, family issues..and she still is this big bright shinning star!...I have confidence in her ability to have even picked Dr. Phil for a show!..and Dr. Phil just seems to get down to the nitty gritty! (NC)...if you know what I mean!

I am so looking forward to his book helping me get over the issues as to WHY I really overeat!...I eat because I am bored..because I am lonely mainly..and because I want to hide in this big blob of fat for protection....so if someone like Oprah and Dr. Phil can remotely say anything to help me ~~ GET IT ~~ bring it on! Maybe I will never get it...but just maybe I will get skinny trying!
  • Hi All!

DR PHIL AND KATIE KURIC ARE DOING A TWO HOUR SHOW ON FRIDAY MORNING....CHECK YOUR LOCAL LISTINGS. THINK IT'S THE KICK OFF TO THAT BOOK.

Okay, with that said now to go back to the posts. Wundawoman....have to applaud your post. Can't say that I agree with Oprah or Phil all the time. In fact, they can annoy me at times. However, with that said, as far as losing the weight I think he'll be helpful in cutting through the bull...at least for me.

I too have had similar reasons to keep the weight on. I've been in therepy on and off for sexual abuse for the last 10 years. It comes and goes with spurts. I know that I've got a ton of rage eating away from the inside out....and I know that I need to get it out.

However, I've also gained enough weight that it's dangerous for me...both mentally and physically. I've become a prisoner of the barrier I put up so many years ago...do you know what I mean? This is no way to live.

As far as Dr. Phil, Oprah, therepy, whatever....if it works use it! If it doesn't don't. The key here is to make progress whether crawling or sprinting toward it. I hope he doesn't have a nutritionist, cook, etc...ala' Oprah. We all know that fad diets aren't going to work. You need the mentality to succeed....the rest is all pretty obvious stuff if you think about it. Frankly, if Dr. Phil whips out a fad diet or cookbook I'll think he sold out.

Bottom line, losing weight and keeping it off isn't going to be easy and it's going to take a major committment. I can place blame on a lot of people, events, and circumstances but let face it...I'm the only one who can do anything about it. Use what works....

Okay, enough of my lecture. Sorry if I offended anyone....keep in mind that I was mostly lecturing myself...

Deb
  • Morning!
    GOOD MORNING!
    I must agree with you too, Young Grasshopper! I too watch them both, Oprah & Dr. Phil, and don't always agree. I just take it all in and then sort it all out. They aren't perfect people - we all have our false, so they will say some things that we all don't agree with. But most of the time... especially with, DR. PHIL, it is stated as a fact! Then he leaves the ball in 'our' court to play it out! I too look forward to his new shows and will give it a try. I am already doing pretty good in losing the weight, but really need to gain some confidence & self-esteem again... cuz even with the weight loss you can still feel yucky - if you don't feel good about yourself.

THANK-YOU SO MUCH FOR THE "HEADS-UP" for tomorrow mornings show!! I will watch!

Take Care &
    God Bless you all!