Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 09:40 AM   #76  

Diana I am sending prayers for Matthew to move on out to sea. I know what you mean about expecting a reward for doing the right thing. Lately I've become a lot more aware of how food makes me feel. Maybe it's aging-related, but I just feel off when I eat the foods that tempt me. So there is a reward of staying in a good mental place--not necessarily happy, but more tuned into life, if that makes any sense.

Your description of how you approached the lunch with your friends cracked me up. And I will keep it in my mind to do just that, no compromise. Thank-you for the inspiration!!! Maybe no one commented because they were going through their own internal dialogue about how to manage the food thing. Who knows, maybe you will see some others with tupperware!

MonteCristo Thanks for the support! How's that new ride? I think it's good that you balanced out that functional exercise with a day off. Hope you enjoyed the movie night .

Zoniegirl Thank-you! I was wondering what your username meant I really love Arizona and want to visit other parts, but am hooked on the monsoon season in the southeast. Even the harsh desert is beautiful to me. And full of life--just amazing.

I'm so glad that you got some good sleep--there's nothing like it. fwiw, I have a minimum threshold of carbs. If I go below for more than a few days, my sleep gets messed up. I hope the political meetup went well! It can be a fine line between lively discussion & verbal mud wrestling

Chunkahlunkah Linner? Thanks for your comment re the chicken cals. I agree, I think it's inaccurate. I look up all manner of chicken in MFP and nothing comes close. Yes I am a car namer. I think my car might be an animate being of some sort. I pat the dashboard and thank her sometimes, after a long trip, or if I have slam on the breaks, etc. And Diana thinks she's weird? My car names are not imaginative, just taken off the license plate. DQL= Diquil. What is your car's name?

snapple Not TMI! This IS the place. Re your sandwich question, I love myfitnesspal.com for tracking and looking up things. I enter each item separately. You can save it as a meal or as your own food so you don't have to look it up again. Or just to get a ballpark of the cals. Some things have been eye openers as to calories.

I think that exercise is good if it makes you feel good. Moving around as much as possible without it being a formal workout counts too, though. My experience has been I can lose just fine with zero exercise. It's mostly about the cals. In maintenance, exercise seems to matter more. What if you tried those little things like parking further away when you shop? I love to listen to music so if I have something I like, it will get me on the treadmill or out for a walk, just to have an excuse to enjoy the music and get into a nice 'zone'.

WTG with your sticking to your diet!

PERUNNING

Teri000! Great job on your accomplishments! I have best results with water weight if I avoid processed food and eating out. But if I have those things, I either wait until the water leaves, or flush it out by drinking a lot water (flushing out the sodium, that is. It's my usual culprit with water weight). Well, outgrowing TTOM has helped too

nicoley Great job on your day Good luck with SBD.

kelijpa I spent an hour up the wall, on the phone. It felt good

Flower Oh my, that sounds very stressful re your eyes. I hope your new ophthalmologist can give you a definitive answer, and one that is in synch with your own intuition. It's so natural to turn to food for comfort when there is a big stressor like that. I hope the food addict recedes. A piece of carrot cake is not such a bad thing imho. It's that more more more voice. I got into trouble with an innocuous breakfast sandwich---that English muffin led me down a long, dark path all summer long. I still feel a longing when I see those sandwiches winking at me.

IdealProteinNewbie Thank-you for that input! It's always good to see you pop up here. I love your moniker, having been an IPN myself The thing about that chicken is the label also said the whole thing weighed 10 oz. So they are saying 2.5 oz = 760 cal. Even if it was all fat, the math would be 2.5 oz x 28 g/oz= 70 grams. 70g x 9 cal/gram of fat = 630 cals. But I gotta admit, I ate all the fatty parts with skin, saved breast meat for today. Oh well, better than pastries for this sugar addict.

Check in Weight 168, up .8, not worried. Cals yesterday about 1300, but who knows, with that mystery chicken
B tofu roll ups, cashew milk, coffee
L yam, chicken, arugula salad with homemade dressing
D whey shake, braised Brussel's sprouts
S chicken

Last edited by Sundove; 10-05-2016 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:53 AM   #77  

S/C/G: 284/279/180

Good morning, all! It's been quite some time since I've checked in. I'm officially back on track, as of yesterday Back on track for me includes checking in here to keep myself accountable. I joined a website/contest yesterday that actually pays you money to lose weight! My goal is to lose 30 pounds in 9 months. (Less than 4 pounds a month...I'm sure I can do it!) Its a great incentive to stay on track! I've kicked up my walking on the treadmill and am actually running on it a bit as well. Who knew I'd actually enjoy it?! Well, kind of anyway. I feel so much better when I'm done.
Gotta go get the kids up for school - have a great day, everyone
Old 10-05-2016, 10:42 AM   #78  

10/5 Weight - 140.6

10/4 Meals:

Breakfast:
Coffee w/half and half
1/2 protein bar

Lunch:
4 oz chicken
1/2 cup cooked spinach
laughing cow light cheese wedge

Snack:
1/2 serving almonds

Dinner:
chicken w/ham and cheese

Calories:1052
Exercise: OrangeTheory and 13,146 steps

Snapple - I'd try to incorporate more movement in your life organically. Getting a step tracker (I love my fitbit) is a way to see how much you are moving each day. If you've ever thought about getting a dog - they are great for getting you out of the house because they need to be walked 3 times a day. Or ride your bike to the store instead of driving - it's also good for the environment. For me, I try to set the goal of being a more active person, as opposed to exercising a certain number of days a week. So I also try to limit my computer and tv time - cleaning the house also counts as exercise!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 10-05-2016, 12:48 PM   #79  
Shorty getting fit

S/C/G: 162/132/119

I had some hot dogs I wanted to use up yesterday, so I made beanie weenie for the first time in my adult life.

This was no ordinary frank and beans though. For the hot dogs, I used Applegate organic uncured beef dogs. I used two cans of beans. One was my beloved Heinz beans from the UK. The other was a can I had on hand that looked like it would fit in too, some Great Northern beans.

I actually googled for beanie weenie before making it bc I figured there must be more to the "recipe" than just those two components. I'm glad I googled! I ended up using an amalgamation of a couple different recipes. I put in half of a diced onion, some ketchup, dijon mustard, and apple cider vinegar.

First I sliced the hot dogs in half lengthwise, then into smaller pieces, and fried them to get a fine caramelization going on. Next, I added the onions and cooked until theywere softened and slightly caramelized. Finally I added the rest of the ingredients and baked in my cast iron skillet for about 20 minutes until it was all gooey and bubbling.

It was actually really tasty! The way I made it came out to being around $2.15 a serving, which may defeat the purpose of beanie weenie as budget food. BUT, I felt really good after eating it bc of the quality ingredients. It's the only way I'd ever make it. And I'm surprised to learn that I like this so much, I'll probably put this in my rotation! I even had some for breakfast today. I've portioned and frozen the leftovers. It's 300 calories (well, 299 ) per 6 oz serving.

Thus concludes my essay on Beanie Weenie.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:03 PM   #80  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

Chunkahlunkah That's similar to how I make Beenie Weenies for my DH. Do you like cheese? He also likes for me to put American cheese down the center of the hot dogs and brown them up nicely.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:05 PM   #81  
Shorty getting fit

Diana - "They probably think I'm a weirdo and are scared to ask what's in the little bowl that I bring." That gave me flashbacks to the movie Seven when Brad Pitt cries out, "What's in the box?" I apologize for both my macabre mind, and also if you haven't seen it and that reference makes no sense! I'm glad you have a cool group of ladies to hang out with!

snapple - Yes, as others have said, definitely not TMI! Are you treating your depression? No need to answer that here if it's too private. I just wanted to put it out there that making treatment part of your regular routine can consequently make other things like exercise become less difficult. Depression treatment can be complicated bc what's needed at different stages can vary. My mom suffered severe postpartum depression after her first child. (So had her mom. Her family didn't tell my mom that until decades after my mom's depression started, though.) She was treated for about 5 years, but then once she improved stopped any treatment. Looking back, she stopped treatment too soon. It wasn't until a couple decades later when, during a health crisis, she went back on antidepressants that she really became fully "herself." It breaks my heart when I think of the time that she missed out on bc of inadequate treatment. Anyway, your treatment plan is none of my business but I did want to express the idea that treating depression can take a long time. It may not always require medication, but if its symptoms are still strong enough to be impacting our life on a daily basis, then some form of daily treatment is needed. I've been clinically depressed twice in my life. The first time I was about 12 and didn't go on medication. It passed in time. The second time I was in my early 20s and it was much worse. That time I did go on medication for about 1 year, and it really helped. I also went to counseling for several months and that helped me identify my body's triggers for depression and learn techniques to keep it at bay. I haven't been depressed since then so my treatment's been preventive techniques. Others have given excellent advice on working in exercise, so I'll just say all this for now.

Last edited by Chunkahlunkah; 10-05-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:09 PM   #82  
Shorty getting fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana3271 View Post
Chunkahlunkah That's similar to how I make Beenie Weenies for my DH. Do you like cheese? He also likes for me to put American cheese down the center of the hot dogs and brown them up nicely.

Last edited by Chunkahlunkah; 10-05-2016 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:24 PM   #83  
Shorty getting fit

flower - "I have never eaten food that feels as good as Sushi." There is indeed something very special about sushi. I really enjoy the omega-3 boost. That's probably a big part of it.

Sundove - Linner isn't as recognized as brunch yet, but I'm working on it. Yeah, I'm highly skeptical about that calorie count being accurate. I wonder if they included the weight of the bones in their calculation? Was it literally a butter chicken, perhaps? Using the license plate for the name is very creative! I like that. My current car is silver, so I often call him The Silver Fox. In the beginning, I couldn't decide between Anderson Cooper or George Clooney for his name, but in time he solidly became Anderson. My last car was black, so I called it The Count and had that Sesame Street toy in my back window. My first car was kinda junky, so I called it Beck after the musician who had a song called, "Loser," bc the car was kind of a loser.

Sassypants - Good to see you again! Good luck with your challenge, although I know you've totally got it.

Last edited by Chunkahlunkah; 10-05-2016 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:42 PM   #84  
Shorty getting fit

snapple - This question will probably get a collective groan from the people here bc of my obsession with it , but have you had your iron level checked? The fatigue from iron deficiency can be mistaken for depression. When I first started experiencing a great reduction in my energy a couple of years ago, I assumed it was due to depression bc of my history with it. I didn't feel depressed in any other way, but I figured that was the most likely culprit. I even went on antidepressants for several months but felt no difference at all so stopped. I decided that maybe I was just getting older and that was my new energy level. It was a couple more years until I learned my symptoms were due to anemia. It's definitely a good idea to get your hemoglobin and ferritin checked if your body feels like lead. Although those symptoms could be entirely due to depression, that's also what anemia feels like. So it's possible you have both.

Last edited by Chunkahlunkah; 10-05-2016 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:08 PM   #85  
California licensed CPA!

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

Height: 5'8

morning! this is going to be quick bc I am at work:

chunka and FatinHongKong - aren't kittens just the best?? they are so sweet and they are hilarious Maggie is one of the special ones that you never forget, I can tell you that already. LOVE that girl!

flower I am now obsessed with the pre-made quinoa salad from Costco! have you had it? I am eating it with the rotisserie chicken (breast only)...it's FAB I also get the chicken sausages by Aidelle, but most recently I get the ones by Silva...they are spinach provolone and organic. amazing!

teri000 asparagus really does work, but what I use is dandelion root. I use the capsules, and sometimes the tea. Sometimes it feels like nothing works, though! It will pass

scale move a teeny bit - 159.6 this morning headed in the right direction!

menu for today
b - turkey muffin, canadian bacon, hard boiled egg
s - mini babybel light
l - rotisserie chicken breast, quinoa salad
d - tbd
exercise - rest day! that 21 mile ride yesterday did me in
Old 10-05-2016, 02:31 PM   #86  

S/C/G: 186/135/125

Height: 5.5 feet

Hey guys, thanks so much for all the responses and thoughtful answers. I really, really appreciate it. Today I am a bit sluggish with impending TTOM and other things so I will apologize in advance for not responding individually. I normally do enjoy doing so. But a huge thanks to all of you...

Chunka I was A-ok in the anemia department last I was checked- I pulled out my results just a couple days ago wondering the same thing and there was even a hand written note that says "No anemia"...! I wish it was so, as then I would have a good answer.

As far as treatment I last took anti-depressants a few years back and it caused me to become obese for the 1st time in my life. I was then depressed over my weight. It took a very long time to come off... now I have some vexation over my appearance as I have a neck that looks 15 years older than I do from all the extra skin Ah well. But I want to not do medicines for other reasons as well that get into my personal medical history.

So I will persevere just every now and then going to have to head over to the depression and weight loss area to whine...

Lentils and avocado for breakfast today and currently enjoying a can of La Croix sparkling water.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:35 PM   #87  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

A quick one: I just remembered that I needed to answer the question about the electronics and insomnia. Electronics emit blue light that causes sleep issues. On my laptop at home I use f.lux http://www.pcworld.com/article/20568...-at-night.html Also, as soon as I get home I put on a pair of blue blocking reading glasses. I wear them until I go to bed. I sleep a lot better and deeper now, than I did before I started this routine.

Back to your regularly scheduled program.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:00 PM   #88  
Shorty getting fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapple View Post
I pulled out my results just a couple days ago wondering the same thing and there was even a hand written note that says "No anemia"...!
That note being there is hilarious!

I'm glad you have such thorough doctors! It was smart of them to check that out as a possibility. Now I'm starting to wonder if maybe I just have an incompetent gp.

Yeah, treating depression is incredibly complex and needs to be personalized. I completely understand wanting to avoid medication. Feel free to whine here whenever!

Mmm, lentils and avocado. Two of my favorite foods, and I've not yet tried combining them!
Old 10-05-2016, 03:49 PM   #89  

S/C/G: 186/135/125

Height: 5.5 feet

Thanks Chunka! I was recalling, I mentioned being fatigued and asked, I think, for anemia to be looked into. I was surprised that wasn't the case.

Flowers
I can feel for you with the eye stuff. I am ok for now. I have risks for several things and it all increases with age sigh. I hope to stay stable for a long, long time.

Time for some prune snacks... LOL "old people" food but they are from the Whole Foods and worth it- I think they taste better than candy, they are so fresh!
Old 10-05-2016, 05:22 PM   #90  
Mom jeans are cool,right?

Checking in and now I am craving peaches, carrot cake, quinoa salad and rotisserie chicken, and wine. And maybe beanie weenies.

I have continued to not focus on losing weight, or exercise but it's constantly in the back of my mind. I've started obsessively learning spanish and picked up knitting again.

Hopped on the scale for a reality check and I'm now up to 170.2, from my continued relapse after getting down to 146 last year.
Closed Thread