Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-10-2016, 12:22 PM   #1  

Default Weight Loss is Stuck!

Hi All,

I'm kind of new here, but need some advice. I committed to a healthier lifestyle last December. I am 28, 5'7", and was 168 pounds, so definitely a little overweight. Plus my cholesterol was high.

I started tracking my calories and macronutrients. I started eating 1300-1500 calories a day, an average of 40% from carbs, 27% protein, and 33% fat. My fiber intake rose to consistently over 20 grams a day. I upped my exercise to 5-6 hours per week. Most of it is high intensity cardio, but I also incorporate resistance training. I gave myself no regularly planned cheat days/meals, but obviously had an occasional splurge probably once every 2-3 weeks. Even on those I tried to stay at calorie maintenance. I now weigh 158 pounds. But it took me 4 months to lose 10 pounds! That is barely 1/2 a pound a week. Any progress is great, but considering my calorie intake and exercise it feels really slow.

About six weeks ago the weight loss just stopped entirely. I didn't change anything. About three weeks ago I dropped my calories even further to 1200-1400 a day and upped my exercise to 6-7 hours a week. It didn't seem to make a difference. I'm frustrated and at a loss.

I weigh/measure my portions whenever possible, so I'm sure I'm not just accidentally eating more than I think. I do have hypothyroidism and PCOS, but I went to the doctor and she said my bloodwork looks fine. I think I might be insulin resistant, but my doctor said my A1C looks fine and I'm not a pre-diabetic. She said I might just be genetically predisposed to being on the heavier side of normal. I don't buy it. I'm just frustrated and at a loss. Any suggestions?
LadyPavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/160/140

Height: 5'4

Hi LadyPavi - You're doing great! Is it possible you've added a good bit of muscle?

I have always tested normal for blood sugar issues, but my blood sugar is anything but normal. When I was drinking diet Coke I would get the shakes when I was hungry. It would go beyond that in that I would get irritable and I would turn into a crazed "gotta eat, gotta eat" woman. And I was really, truly, physically hungry. Well, I gave up Diet Coke and noticed that aspect of my personality had faded a little bit. And then I gave up sugar and it faded a bit more. And the weight began falling off. And then I cut waaaaay back on bread and "gotta eat" woman was gone. I could be hungry like a normal person and not be crazy. And the weight is still coming off. Even though my calories aren't any lower.

I'm wondering if it might be worth your while to go higher on the fats and lower on the carbs for a couple of weeks and see if things change. I know for myself there's no way I could have 40% of my calories from carbs and still lose weight, but you have a lot less to lose than I do so who knows? Also, if you're still using aspartame (nutrasweet), maybe try cutting that out as I know it directly affected my blood sugar and made me hold onto weight.

Good luck!

Last edited by Treasa; 05-10-2016 at 01:56 PM.
Treasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:36 PM   #3  
In it to win it!!

S/C/G: 312/ticker/150

Height: 5ft 3in

From the amount of exercise you are doing, it seems that you need to increase your calories. Of course, this depends on the type of work outs you're doing. I would say 1500-1800 calories daily. I cycle my calories. I bike 35-45 miles weekly (3-4 rides), plus strength training 3-4 times a week working different muscle groups. I was eating, at 240 lbs at 5 ft 3 in, 1400-1600 calories daily. Then I realized maybe I'm not eating enough and I increased my calories to 1500-2000 daily. On my heavy workout days, I have 2000 calories and on my lighter days I consume 1500-1600 calories. I finally started to lose weight again. I'm now at 233 lbs. What kind of workout are you doing? How many calories are you burning with each session? Are you eating the same thing over and over again? If so, change it up. It's up to you if you want to increase your calories. Good luck!!

Last edited by Vivian27; 05-17-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Vivian27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 181/132.8/130

Height: 5'3.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasa View Post
Hi LadyPavi - You're doing great! Is it possible you've added a good bit of muscle?

I have always tested normal for blood sugar issues, but my blood sugar is anything but normal. When I was drinking diet Coke I would get the shakes when I was hungry. It would go beyond that in that I would get irritable and I would turn into a crazed "gotta eat, gotta eat" woman. And I was really, truly, physically hungry. Well, I gave up Diet Coke and noticed that aspect of my personality had faded a little bit. And then I gave up sugar and it faded a bit more. And the weight began falling off. And then I cut waaaaay back on bread and "gotta eat" woman was gone. I could be hungry like a normal person and not be crazy. And the weight is still coming off. Even though my calories aren't any lower.

I'm wondering if it might be worth your while to go higher on the fats and lower on the carbs for a couple of weeks and see if things change. I know for myself there's no way I could have 40% of my calories from carbs and still lose weight, but you have a lot less to lose than I do so who knows? Also, if you're still using aspartame (nutrasweet), maybe try cutting that out as I know it directly affected my blood sugar and made me hold onto weight.

Good luck!
Ditto ^^^ from me. I avoid bread and pasta but still partake a few times a week. I eat high protein (eggs/meat/cheese) and good fat (butter) in the morning, add a little good carbs at lunch (veg) and usually a lot more at dinner. I've lost about 43 pounds (although it's got very slow lately because I've been eating more cheap carbs, aka bread and potatoes).
PrairieQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

The only suggestion I have is dropping the carbs to below 100 grams/day.Closer to 80 grams/day seems ideal for many for weight loss. Just don't give up!
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote