Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-14-2016, 04:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/see me old ticker ... /145

Height: 5'8"

Default Keto folks? Finally found something that is working!

Hello!

I was here a few years ago, and find it to be a really great community. I'm back again, and have been using the keto diet to FINALLY kick-start weight loss.

Basically, two babies in the last 3 years, a very stressful job and virtually no exercise made my body gradually slip away from what makes me feel healthy and happy.

BUT, I decided to just eat keto-style and have lost a bunch of weight. I'm wondering if there is a forum I'm missing? Otherwise, I look forward to jumping in to general support and cheering everyone one, regardless of how you get to success.

Thanks, all!
Katiepony01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:08 AM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

Keto is for ketosis, right? Low Carb, Paleo, Raw Vegan forums would be good. I kind of just hang out here as it has the most activity as well as very supportive! !
Inkrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:22 PM   #3  
Start 2014

S/C/G: 206/170/160

Height: 5'5"

Keto is for Ketogenic. I use reddit.com There is a big forum there.
carlasherea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: Peak 300/Restart 270/Goal 130

Height: 5'4.5'

look at the Carb counters forum here. that is for folks doing different keto programs. I'm on a modified Atkins plan myself.
Kat117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:55 AM   #5  

Default Need help with Keto Diet

NEED HELP WITH UNDERSTANDING & GETTING STARTED!!

have lots of health issues and just in the last year it seems like a few of them have gotten much worse.

I'm a single mother and my daughter needs me & I wanna be around for a long while. I have an issue with very limited mobility and an upcoming knee replacement surgery as well.

••• ANY HELP, INFORMATION, TIPS OR BETTER DIET PLANS THAT WOULD WORK FASTER & AID IN FASTER WEIGHT LOSS PLEASE SHARE •••

I am new to this forum and Keto diet. I NEED SOME HELP!! I really want to start the Keto Diet. I desperately need to shed some pounds due to health issues. I've heard and read a few things about the diet and saying you can lose weight fast. In my case I really do hope that is true, I know it's high fat, moderate protein and low carb. But from what I've seen it always gives percentage of each that is needed daily. I'm sorry I don't want to sound like an idiot but I honestly don't understand percentages.
I was hoping someone/anyone could please help better break this down for me. Maybe like how many calories of each I should consume daily for the best optimal & fasted weight loss results that would be extremely helpful.

Again as I've mentioned it's crucial I lose this weight & losing it as fast as possible is definitely what I need. Any info, advice &/or tips would be so massively appreciated!!

Also I was curious how long does it take for the body to go into ketosis?
And how much could you possibly lose in 3 months?
Any answers and replies would be great. Thank you again. I need this diet to work cause so many ha e failed me and I'm praying this will be the one that will work for me.

Again Thanks in advance
CC925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:53 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

CC925 I HIGHLY recommend joining the "Keto-Adaptation" group on facebook. It's a closed group, so your friends and family wouldn't see it. People there have great success. I tend to be more primal with my eating, but I believe in keto!

The percentages are based on macros. Everything we eat is either a carb (4 calories per gram), a protein (4 calories per gram) or a fat (9 calories per gram) - these three are your macros. Plug your stats into a Keto Calculator and then you can see your percentages and the calories of each macro that you're aiming for.

A lot of people recommend getting used to the foods for two weeks or so before you start tracking. Basically you would just be avoiding all grains, legumes, sugar, starchy vegetables and adding more fat into your diet. How you'd like to start is up to you. Personally, I find it easier to plan my days ahead of time so that I'm not ever wondering what I'm going to eat and "winging" it without knowing if it fits my macros. I use www.myfitnesspal.com to track, but some people like chronometer or some of the other apps.

Some people get into ketosis very quickly, but it takes time - up to a year or more - to truly become fat-adapted (burning fat for fuel instead of glucose).

In terms of speed - anything you lose will be better than not, right? I'd focus on the goals instead of the speed. Many people who have had difficulty with standard diets in the past really like keto because of the allowed foods. Fat is satiating so you may find that your hunger naturally dwindles.

Good luck!!

Last edited by Munchy; 04-15-2016 at 09:55 AM.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:22 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 214/160/140

Height: 5'4

Hi CC925! Don't stress yourself out with percentages! First things first. Cut out the carbs! Don't eat bread or sweets. Check labels for carbs. It'll take you a few days of feeling yucky but once that yuckiness is over the carb cravings are GONE! Once I'm in ketosis, I find I have to make sure I'm eating enough calories because I'm simply not hungry. I would take it a step further and say don't even worry about your calories in for at least a week or two. Cut out the carbs and then pay attention to how many calories you're ingesting. You may surprise yourself to see they're well under 1500 or so. I know for me, I'll often reflect and be at about 900. When that's the case, I try to bring the calories up a bit - I don't want my body getting used to that number!

For your initial phase, stock your fridge with some foods you like that you're allowed to eat. For me, that's hamburgers, cheddar cheese, Purdue chicken strips, Wholly Guacamole individual packs, eggs, and bacon bits. And butter. I fry my eggs with butter and bacon bits in the morning. For lunch, I'll have a hamburger with an ounce or two of cheddar cheese - I will put a very little bit of ketchup on it - generally my only carb "cheat" of the day. Then if I'm hungry again, and I might not be, I'll dip as many chicken strips in guac as I feel like eating. Since I can have up to 4 ounces of cheese a day, I may eat some more of that too. Cheese is the only food I mentioned (besides the ketchup, obviously) that I purposely have to limit. 4 ounces is half a Cracker Barrel block. I've never even wanted to eat that much in a single day, but I could if I wanted to.

After your body has shed its carb cravings and you've successfully begun losing weight, you can expand out a bit. At first, keep your carbs under 30. You can try going as high as 60. Some folks can maintain ketosis on 100 but not me. Once you've eliminated sugar and refined carbs, you can worry about all that percentage stuff. Your main goal at first is to cut out the carbs.

I don't like vegetables much but I'm trying now to include them. Ones I can tolerate are lettuce, cucumbers, broccoli, and asparagus. Broccoli and asparagus I slather in butter. It's very easy for me to feel satisfied and eat pretty much whatever I want so long as I keep carbs under 60. That does sometimes include a little bit of bread or potato chips. But if you're not in ketosis yet, bread and chips are a ways off for you. Good luck and if I can do this YOU can do this!!!!!!

p.s. I don't know what kind of shape you're in, and I know exercise isn't easy with a bum knee, but GET MOVING! Whatever you can do, if swimming is out, look into pilates videos, or chair exercises, or something. There's lots of stuff on youtube. You don't need to spend money. And remember doing something is better than doing nothing.

Last edited by Treasa; 04-16-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Treasa is offline   Reply With Quote