Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 08:22 PM   #1  
Michigan Old-Timer

Default 300+ And Ready To Try Again...#393

God Bless America!

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We recently started a Topic of the Day.

Monday........Motivation Monday
Tuesday.......Tuesday Tips
Wednesday.....Wednesday Weigh ins
Thursday......Thankful Thursday
Friday........Friday Facials, Fingernails and Fun
Saturday.......Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Sunday.........Soup and Salad Sunday - recipes

We chat on Wednesday and Saturday at 8:30 EST, 7:30 CST.

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We have found them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears...joys and celebrations.
Old 08-20-2003, 08:50 PM   #2  

Hello, Chickadees! I FINALLY got to get in here! It's not only been hot as Hades the last couple of days, but I had a lot of things around the house that needed catching up on.

Anyway, just got caught up on reading some of the posts on the last thread, and you gals made a lot of EXCELLENT points. You know, even as little as ten years ago, if someone--or even myself, gave such a hard time about my weight, my first thought would be, "what is wrong with ME?" Boy, was I insecure to the point I'd go on every fad plan there was, no matter how dangerous it could have been in the long run. We are always looking for those quick fixes, aren't we?

Then I realized during therapy WHY I was fat in the first place! Much as heredity played a role in it, I also played a big part: I was fat to keep people away from me, especially men, which, it turned out, was common in victims of sexual abuse. It was around this time some serious questions were being asked of myself:

Do I deserve better than this?

Do I want to end up shortening my life like my mother?

Do I want to be healthier physically, emotionally, spiritially?

Do I want to be happier? !!!

Do I want to overcome even more hurdles in life than I already have?

Will eating solve anything in the long run?

So with this, I decided both food and attitude changes were in order. Though I am considering WLS, I am going to continue on my current 1500 calorie/35g fat a day plan for the moment as well as exercising as I have been. It is hard to believe on March 1, I was wearing a size 30/32 dress and couldn't even walk up a small hill without stopping for breath. Now I can walk two miles! By 2005, it is my dream to run the Pittsburgh Marathon.
Old 08-20-2003, 09:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Hi ladies,

Great discussions going on. I think we have all felt that feeling of wonderment about whether we'll ever achieve our goals. Sometimes this all just seems too hard and never ending.

As much as I have wanted to give up, I'm not going to. If I only get off 10 pounds a year, that is a step in a more healthy direction. I'd rather get it off that way then to lose it quickly and end up regaining it all again. We just have to stick this out for the long run. Every pound off or minute of exercise is an improvement.

I've been wrestling with my new laptop and the wireless connection for a week now. I finally got it going again - a friggin' reset button was all that was needed. I wasted way too many hours. But I love being able to sit upstairs on the couch or even sit outside on the deck and be able to post here.

I'm bushed so I better get going. I might go walk the dog for a short walk. Its been over an 100 degrees again today and will be tomorrow too. Can't go far in this heat.

See ya tomorrow!
Old 08-20-2003, 09:43 PM   #4  

"WOWZERS" I missed a whole thread and such a touching, truthfull, heartfelt, one at that. I read each and every post and want you all to know I wanted to reach out and hug each and every one of you. And I know that you would all hug back too, for I have been at all those places that were described.

I want to live to be old and watch my children grow as does Michelle, I want to be with Tina on the mountain top, I want to be with Thin and do curves. I want to do it all!!!! I need to do it all.

I have attached a pic of me on my honeymoon...that is 14 years ago this month.....and I would say 75lbs ago....I want that back!!!
I am not gonna promise anything, because I always seem to break promises to myself, so I am going to say that I am going to try. So tomorrow a.m. I am trying to be back on the wagon with whoever else is out there on it too. Love ya all and {{{{HUGS}}}}to all...

I have to go resize the pic....but I don't want to loose this..so I will add it in a minute....hugs
Sandy
Old 08-20-2003, 09:48 PM   #5  

this was me in 89
Old 08-20-2003, 09:57 PM   #6  
Michigan Old-Timer

Howdy, everybody! I had a really nice day. Lunch with one of my best friends. Sat and talked for a couple of hours. We try to meet for lunch about once a month. She lives way on the other side of town.

Then honey and I went out to dinner together. Had terrible service. Glad I was working, now I get to report on it all.

Tomorrow I'll be gone all day. I have all the shops I was supposed to do last Friday, but because of the Blackout, I had to postpone them.

Melissa: I bet you thought I was brain dead when I wrote "Melissa:" and then didn't put anything else. It's because I list everyone's name that's posted and then go back and write and I didn't go that far back in my post. Then what a lovely writing you were sending at the same time I was posting and I felt so bad when I got back here this afternoon. I'm sooooo sorry. * I'm glad you were able to catch The View. I taped it, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

Tina: What a great post! You nailed it. What is the alternative? The getting up again is all that keeps us going.

Katrina: You're right on the money too. I'm glad you didn't succomb to the food. It is certainly what I have been doing lately. Good for you.

Pam: I think I will have to make a new 3x5 card for my bathroom mirror. I used to have one long ago and it read "I will not should on myself today!" Meaning, I will make the most of my choices today so that at the end I cannot say, I should have.......

2cute: Bless you, sweetie. Straight from the heart, that's you. I will return to Curves. It was nice to take the day off today. I needed it. I need to pamper myself, in general. Tuesday was haircut and perm. I need to do my nails and my hair color will be on Friday.

Jen: Please don't feel like a failure. I think you've brought some very interesting points to the table. I think some think that WLS is a quick fix, the easy way out. Well, I don't think that's the case. I think there are plenty of unsaid things that need to be considered and I think you mentioned some, like the old habits still being just that: habits. It's not like all that just goes away.

Sandy: Nice to talk to you in chat. I love the pic. You can get back there. We all can. [[[hugs]]]

Michelle: I expected you to show up in chat, but you didn't come.

Lori: I haven't quite figured out what my 'problem' is for being fat. I had a great childhood. No abuse. I am an only child. I was loved. I suppose it would be insiteful to figure it out someday, but I haven't put much thought into it.

Terri: Sounds like you're getting the weather today that's predicted for us tomorrow. They say it will be 93 by noon. Eeeeek!

Well girls, I've been messin' around in chat while I'm posting here. Gotta run though, The Family is starting in 8 minutes! Gotta love that back-biting!!!

Last edited by thinthinker; 08-20-2003 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-20-2003, 10:06 PM   #7  
working off those pounds

S/C/G: 350+/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Hey kids -

I had quite the interesting day..I'm in the middle of moving so I had to pack up some more crap today and drive it over to the new house. The house looks horrid and it's a wreck. :/

Talk about close calls...I ate 34 points worth of food today! It was cause I had two snicker's ice cream bars

Thin: I'm not sure what happened with the chat thingie but I couldn't get back it...I just wanted you to know i didn't ditch you
Old 08-20-2003, 10:12 PM   #8  

I don't exactly know how I did this, but I did and I hope it lets me post.....I put the pic of me 14 years ago and one about 1 month ago together....talk about marriage and being comfortable.....
Old 08-20-2003, 11:20 PM   #9  
Dancing those pounds away

Sandy.... you were lovely then and you are lovely now.
Follow your dreams, eat healthy and exercise and that slimmer lovely person will reappear.

Melissa... I know all to well the MESS of moving. I still don't have either house completely together. Our old house is now empty and cleaned and ready to put on the market ...inside the house... but the garage and attic and shed are still stuffed full. It is just toooo HOT to work outside or in an attic here. Over 100 everyday.
Our new house is far from done too. I had it really clean Sunday... but my daughter came home and we shopped and messed it all up again with "stuff". Some of the "stuff" I bought I am taking back. It didn't look as good here as I had hoped. I have this one big wall sitting empty but can't find that "right" decoration to hang there. I will probably end up just doing family photos. ???

Thin... so glad you had a wonderful day with your friend.
I feel sooo blessed to have had so many great days with my daughter lately. We are best friends too. Don't work too hard.

Terri... I LOVED your second paragraph... quote..."As much as I have wanted to give up, I'm not going to. If I only get off 10 pounds a year, that is a step in a more healthy direction. I'd rather get it off that way then to lose it quickly and end up regaining it all again. We just have to stick this out for the long run. Every pound off or minute of exercise is an improvement."
I loved that attitude. I agree... losing 10lbs a year is better than gaining which was my past history. NOT ANYMORE. I loved the motto... "Losing weight slowly is better than gaining at any speed"

Lori... sounds like you have found out a lot of self knowledge about yourself. I learned a lot about me in my years in OA. But one thing I also learned is... knowledge is great... but it takes committment to a healthy food plan and exercise to lose this weight for me. I could physcoanaylsis my self all I wanted to... but I had to "put the plug in the jug" to lose weight. LOL
I also learned... I had to be "willing" to change. I learned a lot I "needed" to change... but willingness was a key.

Michelle... you were on the last thread... but I am with you girl. :highfive:
Life is too precious to waste being overweight. It is time to take our lives back.
Okay... gotta go. Will see you all in the morning.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:43 AM   #10  
I'm on my way!

Oh my gosh Thin I completely forgot about chat! I was sitting here playing games on the computer too! What an idiot I am...someone should post just before chat time on the thread so I can read it and make the light bulb go on!!

I'll be back after work today!

TTFN Michelle
Old 08-21-2003, 07:36 AM   #11  
You and Me in 2003

Still no word on the blood work. I still itch and am using calamine lotion. The Prednzone I am taking makes me hungry all the time.
Don't forget me if I don't posst much. I'm trying to get son moved too.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:39 AM   #12  

Hiya!

My morning didn't start out so great. I was kind of on auto pilot. How stupid is this. As I'm making my protein shake this morning, I discover that I am mindlessly popping those Famous Amos mini chocolate chip cookies in my mouth. I was like, "WHAT the am I doing??" I wasn't even thinking about it. Here I am making my healthy breakfast and my alter ego is shoving cookies in my mouth. I quickly dumped the rest of them in the garbage and went on with my shake.

I literally dusted off the Tae Bo tape today. How sad it is that I could only get through 15 minutes before i dropped dead. I used to be able to do an hour!! Oh well, at least it's a start. I have to do laundry today, and that should count for something. The laundry room is in the basement and I'm on the 4th floor. You'd think all those stairs everyday would be doing something!! UGH.

Anyhoo, despite my cookie episode this morning, I'm back on track for the rest of the day. One day at a time, as "they" always say.

Talk at you all later,
Jen
Old 08-21-2003, 08:13 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Good morning!

Just a quick post this morning as I sip my cappuccino. Just had to do this from the kitchen, well, because I can!

Sandy - You're a doll! Loved the pics!

Mary - Hope you get relief soon!

Here's something I heard in a sales meeting the other day and thought it applied to our healthy lifestyles. One of the SVP's started to say "I hope...." then he stopped and said, "Hope is not a strategy, I plan to.....". How many times do we say, "I hope to ..." I hope to lose 5 pounds this month. I hope to get exercise in today. We need to be thinking and saying, I plan to. I WILL.

Have a great day!
Old 08-21-2003, 08:49 AM   #14  

Good Morning Ladies,

WOW you girls are some "chatty Kathy's", you may not remember her she was a doll in the "60's"...wish I had mine back!!!! If in good condition in today's market they can bring close to $200.00!!!! (wished I had saved my barbie dolls too), yes, hindsight! I know, I know!.......

I am on the proverbial my sister is going out of town till next Sunday, and she just handed me the keys to her car!!! It is a sporty thing, a 2003 Nissan!!! I will be styling! my old car is sitting in the drive way, in need of about $750.00 worth of repairs!!! ugh!!, and Jane takes the Alero to work everyday because she has so far to drive.....so, I will be FREE!! Free to go and do whatever I want!! Which will include trips to walk, maybe at a mall or something, cannot do the "great outdoors right now!!! to blasted hot!! (seems to be the sentiment of others too from what I have been reading in your posts!), there has to be a change soon!

determined: yes you are so right, hope is not a strategy!! I plan to get this weight off, and exercise, and make healthier choices in all other apects of my life...I plan to achieve more balance in my life!! I will do it! (thanks).....I have also heard "Failure is not an option"!!! and it is not!!

Jen, nice to see you posting again..regardless of what brought us here, or which tools we use, we all share the common goal of choosing better health, of choosing "life", I am not brave enough to do the WLS, one day it may be my last resort, not going to say never....if I cannot get the weight off this way, who knows....for now, I will keep hanging in and hanging on....if it means 2 lbs a wk, then that is what I will do, 2 lbs a wk, it will take me a while but I will get there, and you will too, it is just that we are using other means with which to get to that mountain top, right Tina???? that is a great metaphor....so I thank you Jen, and no one here is less or more because she may have chosen one option over the other.......I am proud of you and proud for you!

Mary, hope you STOP itching soon!!

Great to see you 2 cute!! bet your new place looks great!!

Sandy, I loved the pictures, and you are a beautiful woman!! inside and out!! one day, soon!!! we are going to see before and after pics!!! you are going to do it!! I know you will! Sorry couldnt get back with you yesterday, (IM), but had to run some errands and you were occupied earlier, hope we can chat soon!! Take care!! and have a wonderful anniversary

14 years and counting!! that is fantastic!

MissMeliss...congrats on your new house too

Thin, love meeting up with girlfriends and catching up, all of us have too much going on these days! nice to have a chance to sit and relax and spend time with friends, that is the way I feel when I come here...just get comfy, get something to drink (usually water, imagine that!), and sit back and

Lori, you made some excellent points!! I want to be healthier, mentally, physically and spiritually too

Michelle, I miss chat too, sometimes I go the day before and just sit there.....AND NO ONE SHOWS UP!! DUH!!!

Girls, hope you all have a great day, stay positive and stay
Old 08-21-2003, 09:13 AM   #15  

Hi Chickies! It's almost Friday!!!

I see the positive attitude has made it to #393. I love reading over your posts, it is so inpiring to me. I always come and check right before I start work while I'm eating my yogurt. You are all with me through the day. It's a good feeling.
I'm happy that the week is almost over but I know that I won't be losing any this week. It's my punishment for avoiding exercise last week. But thanks to all of your motivation I am going to focus on the positive of the situation. And that is, I was able to get right back into it. I have a tendancy to give up after one bad week. That attitude is what got me to 230 pounds. This time, it's different. I won't be stopping because this is my new life.
It's TOM so I am sitting here in pain. I thought exercise was supposed to help TOM. I've always read that cramps and bloating should subside when we are exercising regularly. I guess that theory missed me UGH.

Pam,
I would love to have all my Barbies back today. I had a ton of them. Ooooo, a sporty car. You have to take a cruise around the neighborhood. Maybe a make-out session in the back seat?

Determined,
I love that idea. Strategy and Plan vs. Hope. It makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks for posting it.

Jehari,
Good job on putting down the cookies! That's a tough thing to do, but it's awesome that you recognize your bad habits and are able to correct them. You are going down the right path.

Grannie,
Hang in there. Hope you feel better soon.

2cute,
I do not envy you in all that heat. UGH it's miserable. Stay cool.

Thin,
Glad to hear you has such a nice day.

Meliss,
Today is a new day, don't worry about the candy. One step at a time.

Sandy,
You are/were adorable! Thanks for posting.

Lori,
You can do it! I've set similar goals and sometimes that is all that keeps me going. Hey, maybe I'll see you in Pitt 2005.

I'll check back later, stay stong and beautiful everyone!
Closed Thread