Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-27-2015, 08:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 247.2/247.2/144

Height: 5-4

Default Accepting my life and moving forward

I decided to join this and see about getting some support. I look at my life, and this is not the way I want to be. I can't believe I have 100 pounds to lose. I did a lot of stress eating, but I've gotten better about that. I also got a different job a few months ago, and it is a lot less stressful and the people are nicer. I'm doing well there, and I feel like maybe I can face this weight now.

I've been diagnosed with PCOS and am on Metformin. I've done research and think that I'm ready to accept that this is a condition that I have to manage with my lifestyle and one that will be with me for the rest of my life. That feels discouraging. I've never really been athletic, and sweating is not my favorite thing to do. But I really want to travel and be able to explore and go on hikes and not be out of shape. I want to be able to shop and pick out clothes that I like, not just what kinda-sorta hides my body.

How do I get though the feeling that this is going to be a huge boulder I'm going to have to push up the hill every day for the rest of my life?
PCOS4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

You start one day at a time and only do the things you CAN do. Don't make unecessarily difficult goals for yourself. Accomplish what you can in a day ands start small. Nobody enjoys being sweaty but we all do it and we've learned to love it. You don't have to run a marathon, start small and rejoice in the things that you can do. Walk as much as you can and be thankful for what your body can do.

It's growing pains, if it's not a little uncomfortable then you're not growing.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:19 PM   #3  

Thank you! I will be surprised if I learn to love being sweaty, but you never know, right?
Old 11-28-2015, 10:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCOS4Life View Post
Thank you! I will be surprised if I learn to love being sweaty, but you never know, right?
You will get used to it. And there will come a day when you will crave it. Not because sweat feels good but because exercise makes you feel good all day long!
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:25 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 214/160/140

Height: 5'4

PCOS4Life - Welcome! You have to find what works for you long term. I'm just back from taking almost 4 months off my weight loss journey. During that time, I didn't really gain any weight. Do I still have a good bit to lose? Yes!! But, I consider maintaining my weight without really trying a huge victory. It means I've found a way of eating that I can live with. I'm still working on the exercise. I've never been diagnosed with PCOS or prediabetes, but no question, blood sugar used to rule my life.

The hardest thing for me was giving up Diet Coke (and all Nutrasweet). It was my biggest hurdle. I realize now it was an addiction and I just have to avoid it completely. Other than that, nothing is off limits for me.

So I would say if you want to overcome the mental obstacles you're facing, you should focus on what foods are causing your biggest blood sugar swings. In my case, it was Diet Coke. It's different for everyone. When I eliminated that, the rest is actually pretty easy for me.

As far as sweating goes, I still don't like it, but now when I do I actually FEEL healthier afterwards. Sometimes that's enough to push me to start.
Treasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:08 AM   #6  

Height: 5'9"

I had a friend who said she had to get in shape so she could go on a walk. My reply was that you get in shape BY going on the walk! Same when I did Kickboxing. I asked the instructor what I should do to prepare for his (very tough!) class. He kind of looked at me funny and said, "Prepare for future classes by getting through this class." LOL

Instead of being Goal Oriented, why not become Process Oriented? As long as you're on an Eating Plan and an Exercise Plan, that's all you can do, right? Just plan your "work" and work your plan each day! And remember to have FUN!!

Last edited by Inkrid; 12-08-2015 at 09:08 AM.
Inkrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:11 AM   #7  
Gettin' Healthy!

S/C/G: 265/258/140

One day at a time! I find it overwhelming to try to look into the future so I do this as a daily journey. I have not officially been diagnosed with PCOS but I do have some classic symptoms (elevated DHEA and hirtuism).

I am not sure why you don't like to sweat? I personally find it invigorating. You can go for a walk to exercise and won't really sweat. If you aren't going to walk briskly enough to sweat I would go for a longer distance then.
Firecracker777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:25 PM   #8  

I feel icky when I sweat. Smelly and unclean, and my clothes get wet.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:02 PM   #9  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Be a SURVIVOR! Not a VICTIM!

I know, we do not always get what we'd really like to have.

But, WE have choices. WE can, take on the challenge, and be all we can be, or we can sit on the sofa and whine!

In the wise words of my totally awesome sister,

"PICK A LANE!"

I choose "awesome!"
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote