Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-04-2015, 04:47 PM   #1  
Aleta

S/C/G: 160.2/156.4/125

Height: 5' 6.5"

Default Any other Autism moms/dads here?

I am a single professional mother of two autistic teens ages 13 and 15. I can't tell you how difficult it is to even think about myself when my life revolves around my career to support two special needs kids.

Any other moms or dads out there who struggle raising autistic kids while trying to concentrate on your own health?
Kitiaraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:02 PM   #2  
Restart Date: 1/01/2020

S/C/G: 246.2/TICKER/140

Height: 5'4"

Not a parent, but my husband is autistic. He mainly struggles with social interactions, coping with changes to his routine, and OCD. He never had any treatment or interventions as a child but he's wonderful, successful, and very affectionate. I have to help him navigate some every-day things, but I can't imagine my life without him.

It sounds like you have a lot on your plate. Teenagers are a handful to start with, especially for a single mom. Are you getting support with their schools? When is the last chance you've had time for yourself? Hopefully some parents will chime in here with experiences similar to yours. Take care of yourself!
leopardspots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:21 AM   #3  
flyin purple people eater

S/C/G: sz 20/22 --> sz 10/12 --> sz 8

Height: 5'8"

I'm a SAHM with five children. We home educate because for various reasons school isn't a good fit. My son, 11, is on the spectrum, and I suspect my 12 yo daughter is as well - but can I get her diagnosed? HA. I will have to go privately and pay for everything out of pocket which just isn't in the cards right now. I secretly worry that my younger children might be on the spectrum but they are girls and notoriously difficult to diagnose. Hey ho.
Raisin5Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:47 PM   #4  
Slow and sure chick

Hi!
My husband has Asperger's. Social interactions are awkward, he takes offense easily, doesn't like change, talks constantly about his interests and doesn't take cues that it's time to let others talk.

We've been married 37 years but he was only diagnosed about 10 years ago. Boy did that diagnosis explain a lot and answer a lot of questions for us both.
Watercolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:45 AM   #5  
Aleta

My HFA 13 year old teen daughter was in a autism school the last four years and when we moved an hour and a half north this past summer I had to put her in public school. I was so worried, but this year is off to a good start and her first report card was a 4.0 GPA!! Now my 15 year old Aspie daughter is another story. High school has been a nightmare for her. She's basically like Spock and Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory. Kids can be cruel and she has nothing in common with kids her age.I just pulled her out and she's officially a home school student doing Florida Virtual School. This is a challenge for the first few weeks as she gets used to navigating her 6 classes and getting everything done in the day. Right now we're doing everything at night, so I am exhausted. I come home from work and then get to sit and navigate school work. I do get time to myself...but it's very rare. Being a single parent I never have the money to go do anything. I am a stress eater. Well, first of all, I love good food. My favorite thing to do is finding new places to eat that have a great atmosphere and fantastic food.

I'm on my first week of trying to lose the 30 pounds I have gained since moving. I am friggin determined!! lol
Old 11-06-2015, 08:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 211/149.2/130

Height: 5'0

Hi, I have a five year old son on the spectrum. He is starting to talk in longer phrases. He is very sensory seeking as well. Sorry that I don't have info on spectrum teenagers yet.
valid28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:11 PM   #7  

Yes, my oldest, 8 y/o is on the spectrum.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:30 AM   #8  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

My 19 year old has SEVERE ADHD and my 10 year old has autism. And I'm a working mom and it's a big struggle.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:42 PM   #9  
Aleta

Taking care of special needs kids alone leaves very little time or motivation to take care of yourself. That is my struggle.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:02 PM   #10  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitiaraven View Post
Taking care of special needs kids alone leaves very little time or motivation to take care of yourself. That is my struggle.
I'm having a difficult time juggling working full time and being the kind of mom he needs. It's mentally exhausting.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:12 PM   #11  
Aleta

Yea it's exhausting. I had to pull my 15 year old out of high school and home school where she attends Florida Virtual School online. Right now because she's dealing with depression, I have to guide her through her classes and work every evening and on the weekends. She starts a new medication next Wed. after seeing a new psychiatrist.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:40 PM   #12  
Melissa

The highs and lows. My 10 year old was in the spelling bee today. He did great (so proud of him)... the rest of the day? DISASTER. He got suspended for hitting two students and later a teacher. This kid DOES NOT act out like that at home... We've been toying with homeschooling all year.

Please don't judge me... or you can. I love my kids dearly and work HARD... but if I were to do my life over, I wouldn't have kids. I really wouldn't.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:17 PM   #13  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

My son is 14 and has autism. I'm also a working professional. It's ridiculously emotionally draining at times - especially thinking about the future.

If I had one piece of advice to give to people in the same situation, it's to find something for YOU - something fun you can do that can take your mind completely off it, if even for 30 minutes. Hopefully it's exercise related , but can be anything at all.

Cheryl
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:50 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 214/160/140

Height: 5'4

I don't have any autistic kids, but one of my kids (adopted) had Reactive Attachment Disorder from which he is now (mostly) healed. So draining, so stressful. We definitely still have our days. And stress makes you hold weight. As does lack of sleep. I find magnesium taurate supplements helpful for both stress and sleep.

Also, something for you to keep in mind - if your public school can't help your daughter, you may be eligible for funding for a school of your choice under Title (something, maybe iii?) I know two families who are currently doing this, one has a severely disabled deaf child, and the other has an autistic son. The family with the autistic child had to get a lawyer, but once they did, the problem was quickly resolved. The mom told me it cost them less than $1000.
Treasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:36 PM   #15  
Aleta

I pulled my 15 year old out of public high school and is now home schooled. She does the Florida Virtual School and all her classes are online. I was also wondering about magnesium. I do know a lot of people suffer from a lack of D3 as well which effects a lot in the body.

I sleep really well, but it's so true that stress makes your body hold onto fat and it's so discouraging!