Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-07-2015, 08:25 AM   #16  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
I hear ya... To tell you the truth I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to be able to jump up and down like that...Lol...

Thanks for starting this thread... It's given me lots of great ideas... Although, I feel a little bit guilty as I'm just lying here typing this on an iPad... Lol...

I guess I should at least get a recumbent exercise bike to use for my 3fc time...
My husband bought a desk bike to use at home - it has "two" purposes. Our son needs to figure out how to pedal (relearn), so he thought that might be a good idea, but also to use it to move while working/reading/surfing the net.

Problem with bikes (and reviews basically confirm it) is that it doesn't get us up from sitting. It doesn't help with back problems and such, but it is an alternative for me instead of using a desk chair - it's at least MOVING for when I work from home!

I'm about to bite the bullet on the treadmill desk for work!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:27 AM   #17  
Melissa

I thought of another thing and realized another thing last night - my mood with sitting so much.

I get in a major funk from sitting all day. I can literally feel my mood deteriorating to sadness the longer I sit. Days I'm on my feet and doing something other than sitting at a desk? I feel good and my mood stays lifted.

So, as I battle seasonal depression anyway, I think it might be another good tool for the tool chest to ward off the winter blues. I think that will be my blog post for the day today, actually!
Old 07-07-2015, 10:20 AM   #18  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

I've been working somewhere else this week and have been very successful in using an ironing board as a makeshift standing desk ...

Not expensive at all!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:45 PM   #19  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
I've been working somewhere else this week and have been very successful in using an ironing board as a makeshift standing desk ...

Not expensive at all!
i'm not interested in a standing desk. Standing isn't much better for you than sitting. Well, sitting and standing is better than doing just one or the other, but we were made to MOVE and to be much more on the move than we are.

At this point I know I'm getting a treadmill desk. I just don't know if I want to get a small desk where I can have a chair and a treadmill. Or, if I just want to get a treadmill desk and put a stool on top of the treadmill for when I need to sit (like a wobble chair).
Old 07-10-2015, 12:01 PM   #20  
Melissa

I have the most wonderful husband. I told him what I would like to do. His words? "I've been looking at getting that too."

I asked, "I am not sure if we should get one from home where we both work from home part of the week, or if I should get one for my office at work. What do you think?" He said, "Why don't you get one for your office, and then if I/we like it, then we can also get one for home."

LOVE THAT MAN!!! (even though he can be confoundedly irritating!)

So, I'm going to do it!!!! I know what I want and everything.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:05 PM   #21  
Melissa

Blogged about what I'm getting today - input on which treadmill I should get?
Old 07-10-2015, 08:48 PM   #22  

Height: 5'0"

I know you're getting a treadmill desk, but just wanted to throw this idea out there for you:

I'm a writer, so by trade my butt is firmly planted at my desk when I worked. I've managed to change this some by investing in voice recognition software and a wireless headset. Now I dictate some of my work and I can walk around while I do it.

I know there's also software that will read things to you so you can walk and listen.

Not sure if that would be helpful in your line of work, but thought I'd mention it.
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:22 PM   #23  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by banananutmuffin View Post
I know you're getting a treadmill desk, but just wanted to throw this idea out there for you:

I'm a writer, so by trade my butt is firmly planted at my desk when I worked. I've managed to change this some by investing in voice recognition software and a wireless headset. Now I dictate some of my work and I can walk around while I do it.

I know there's also software that will read things to you so you can walk and listen.

Not sure if that would be helpful in your line of work, but thought I'd mention it.
That's a cool idea, but I don't think I could adjust to that. And I hate pacing and in my small office? That would really bug me! (9x9 room and full of stuff). I also don't know hwo that would work. I do administrative work and curriculum development mostly. Though dictating emails would be fun, but would need to be proofed each and every time before sending. I send at least a dozen emails a day for work (gosh, probably more).
Old 07-27-2015, 09:00 PM   #24  
Melissa

Ok... so now I'm torn between two types.

Option A is basically a functioning treadmill - can run on it, etc, but it's also meant for walking with a desk. Other great feature is that it folds up so that I can get back a lot of the lost space in the office when it's not in use. Essentially the same price as getting option b. Here's a link: http://www.proform.com/fitness/en/Pr...desk-treadmill

Option B is a designated walking treadmill that lives under a sitting/standing desk (raising and lowering electronically). Same price as option A when you add in all the options I would need to get to get it functioning. http://www.thehumansolution.com/upli...mill-desk.html

The upside to the folding treadmill desk is that I could have two separate desks - one for the main computer and one for the laptop/tablet. I also could have something to work out with at work as well as just using it for walking slowly while I work.

The downside of the folding treadmill desk is that the desk top is fairly small and would only work with a laptop. I couldn't have both of my desks in use at the same time as when this treadmill is down, it would take up any rolling room of the chair under the other desk.

The pros of the long desk with a treadmill and chair is that the table could be height adjustable even when sitting for better ergonomics. I would have a very big, open tabletop to spread out with projects.

The cons of the long desk with treadmill desk is that the treadmill would always be there in the way (meaning I would have to have it at the sides of the room to keep it out of the way). I would lose drawer space in the desk. And, this treadmill is essentially for walking at a slow pace only, not for exercise.

Thoughts for this crazy lady about to spend 2 grand on such a thing?
Old 09-30-2015, 02:33 PM   #25  
Melissa

Sorry I'm scarce lately. Amazingly, usually it means I've fallen off the wagon. That isn't true. I've just been unbelievably busy.

But, I got my treadmill desk working yesterday! My boss took a quick video. I'll post more about it as I get to use it more. I can walk 1.7 miles per hour and read and type with no issues whatsoever, so it's going to be great for me, I think!
https://www.facebook.com/39879906039...54266134141040

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 09-30-2015 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:44 PM   #26  
flyin purple people eater

S/C/G: sz 20/22 --> sz 10/12 --> sz 8

Height: 5'8"

That's awesome! I'm glad you've found something that works for you.

We have a standing desk at home, and I love it muchly. We've just hacked it by adding a small Ikea coffee table on the desktop which raises the keyboard and mouse, and raised the monitor on a higher level (the desk has multi levels for different items like printers and such).

I'm a SAHM, and it actually keeps me off the computer as much. I'm always up and about, taking care of things, then flitting back to the computer to look up a recipe or whatever. I don't get sucked into computer time for as long, and I practice yoga poses when I'm watching a youtube video or something.
Raisin5Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:27 PM   #27  

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
I sit too much. WAY TOO MUCH!!! I get ready in the morning, drive 45 minutes to work. Sit for 8 hours, then sit for 45 minutes home. Make dinner, then sit for dinner, pick up dinner with the family, and then sit at either the computer, couch. Weather permitting, I'll take a 2 mile walk in the evening (or morning). And then sit some more.

So, this isn't helping me lose weight and it isn't helping me get fitter, and it's beginning to hurt my neck and back. I am fixing up my office at work and I'm thinking of getting a treadmill desk, or just a standing desk, or just a better chair to sit on at work.

Anyone try a treadmill desk? HATE it? LOVE it?

I need to get off my duff some more than I do!!! (Like right now - hopping off the computer and making dinner!)
If you sit more than 5 hours a day, you are shortening your life. If you can't get a standing desk, can you at least get up once an hour and walk around the office a little? Aches and pains can be caused by inflammation in the body. I just completed my first Whole30 and am now pain free in my knees and shoulders that had been hurting me for years and I'm breathing better (I have COPD from chronic bronchitis). My doc was very pleased.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:30 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 230/217/160

Height: 5'4"

I have a standing desk at work and it's great. But I imagine that there are added benefits to a treadmill desk, but I am just glad to be up and standing. I've found now if I sit too long or am in too many meetings in one day my back gets fatigued pretty easily. Problem is though is shoes--I find that my feet get more tired and I can't wear heals. At least not for long.

Last edited by devushka; 09-30-2015 at 09:31 PM.
devushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:47 PM   #29  

I've been using a homemade treadmill desk for years, and it has literally changed my fitness life. As a special request birthday gift, my husband rigged a desktop station for my existing treadmill several years ago. I started out at 2.0 mph, gradually increased to 2.5, stayed there fore a while, but eventually increased to 3.0, where I've stayed since. (I'm a very fast walker naturally, so I have absolutely no problem with this). I walk 24 miles a week with this method, and I've never been so consistent with any other exercise in my life. It solved a major problem for me: how could I eat a reasonable amount of food without gaining weight yet not spend hours in the gym. The answer is the treadmill desk.

Enjoy yours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
Sorry I'm scarce lately. Amazingly, usually it means I've fallen off the wagon. That isn't true. I've just been unbelievably busy.

But, I got my treadmill desk working yesterday! My boss took a quick video. I'll post more about it as I get to use it more. I can walk 1.7 miles per hour and read and type with no issues whatsoever, so it's going to be great for me, I think!
https://www.facebook.com/39879906039...54266134141040
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:53 PM   #30  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin43 View Post
I've been using a homemade treadmill desk for years, and it has literally changed my fitness life. As a special request birthday gift, my husband rigged a desktop station for my existing treadmill several years ago. I started out at 2.0 mph, gradually increased to 2.5, stayed there fore a while, but eventually increased to 3.0, where I've stayed since. (I'm a very fast walker naturally, so I have absolutely no problem with this). I walk 24 miles a week with this method, and I've never been so consistent with any other exercise in my life. It solved a major problem for me: how could I eat a reasonable amount of food without gaining weight yet not spend hours in the gym. The answer is the treadmill desk.

Enjoy yours!
That is really good to hear! I was walking 2 to 2.1 mph today and I could've gone faster I am pretty sure but I was getting warm. And I'm in the office that I share with other people. I didn't think about that situation when I got the treadmill desk. I think I will have to open my window or get a fan.