Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-29-2015, 08:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/222/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Losing Motivation

I started my weight loss journey on February 28th of this year at 275 pounds. Today I weigh 235 pounds.I feel so much better, and my confidence levels are soaring. I have lost the weight by counting calories and walking. My problem is now I am losing motivation. I am still counting calories, and I am still walking, but I feel my motivation slipping. I am not as passionate about this as I was in the beginning. I am scared if my motivation levels continue to drop, I will end up quitting, which I absolutely don't want to do. I don't feel I am being overly restrictive in my diet. I average 1500 calories a day. I zig zag the calories so I eat anywhere from 1200 to 1800 calories. I focus on eating real unprocessed food. I never feel I am depriving myself of any foods. I am fortunate to live next to an awesome walking trail that goes through a wooded area. There are so many forks in the trail that I have never done the same walk twice. I had a fitbit that I loved. I would do daily challenges with friends and family, but I lost it so I no longer have that challenge as part of my motivation.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can do to regain motivation? Have you experienced this before and moved past it? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
utgirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:39 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

It sounds like you are getting bored and you need to change things up a bit to keep things interesting.

I have always tweaked my diet and exercise and lifestyle to keep things interesting but, more importantly, used the experience to find things that worked for me which is vital for maintenance.

So here are some suggestions.

Try some new healthy foods. If they make you gain weight ditch them. But you might find some tasty things that work with your body.

Try some new exercise. Do some exercises you didn't think you would like or dare try. Running? Boxing? Yoga? Rowing? Join a gym? Join a class? Find a walking club? Walk with the Hash House Harriers? I am thinking working out with others would motivate you. It did me and my boxing club and various running clubs have been amazing for me. Yes, they are strangers. But 9 times out of 10 they will make you feel welcome when you first join them.

Buy some new clothes. Get a haircut. And get a mani/pedi. Spend some time in front of the mirror. Go out. And feel fabulous in your slimmer body. That always works for me.

Last edited by IanG; 06-29-2015 at 08:45 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:47 PM   #3  
Less of a Better Me

I find that things go better if I focus on commitment rather than motivation. Motivation comes and goes. A commitment to a healthy eating lifetstyle and an active lifestyle is a part of my routine and habit. When I think about not doing something because I don't feel like right now (ie, not motivated right now), I remind myself that I've nonetheless committed to doing x. I don't have to feel motivated to brush my teeth, but I do it anyway.

I do agree with IanG about mixing things up and trying some new things.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:50 PM   #4  
I Can Do This

S/C/G: S 270/C Ticker/MiniGoal#1 170

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshka View Post
I find that things go better if I focus on commitment rather than motivation. Motivation comes and goes. A commitment to a healthy eating lifetstyle and an active lifestyle is a part of my routine and habit. When I think about not doing something because I don't feel like right now (ie, not motivated right now), I remind myself that I've nonetheless committed to doing x. I don't have to feel motivated to brush my teeth, but I do it anyway.
Wow. That's some insight that I'm really hanging on to. Many thanks!
Vickie Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Utgirl09, I agree with Ian also. I think a change of pace might do you wonders. I found this website recently with some great recipes that might help, even if sugar free is not your goal: http://www.sugarfreelikeme.com/2013/...ini-chips.html. (Look at the list on the left side.) And walking, as good a daily exercise as it is, can get boring, so maybe give something else a try for a few weeks. Also, have you read KissKiss's success story on here? It's very inspirational! And the best part is she's kept the weight off! http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/goal...299-135-d.html You can do it too! Look how far you've come! Don't give up. Like Koshka mentioned, be committed to a healthier you!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 06-29-2015 at 09:11 PM.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:14 PM   #6  
No Room for Negativity!

S/C/G: 200/177/125

Height: 5'2"

I can't offer anything since I'm just starting my journey...but you lost 40 pounds!!! Wow!

Also, I'm liking what Ian and Kosh had to say and going to remember for myself. But, 40 pounds!!! Maybe if you spend some "me" time trying on new "smaller" clothes and looking at all of the new things you will be able to wear soon...and how good you will look in them...
minnie45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:28 PM   #7  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by utgirl09 View Post
I started my weight loss journey on February 28th of this year at 275 pounds. Today I weigh 235 pounds.I feel so much better, and my confidence levels are soaring. I have lost the weight by counting calories and walking. My problem is now I am losing motivation. I am still counting calories, and I am still walking, but I feel my motivation slipping. I am not as passionate about this as I was in the beginning. I am scared if my motivation levels continue to drop, I will end up quitting, which I absolutely don't want to do. I don't feel I am being overly restrictive in my diet. I average 1500 calories a day. I zig zag the calories so I eat anywhere from 1200 to 1800 calories. I focus on eating real unprocessed food. I never feel I am depriving myself of any foods. I am fortunate to live next to an awesome walking trail that goes through a wooded area. There are so many forks in the trail that I have never done the same walk twice. I had a fitbit that I loved. I would do daily challenges with friends and family, but I lost it so I no longer have that challenge as part of my motivation.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can do to regain motivation? Have you experienced this before and moved past it? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
congrats on the weight loss so far! I also started my weight loss journey by counting calories and walking. After a while, I got pretty bored of the walking. I would walk for hours around my neighborhood (and take different routes) but eventually I just got tire of it. Is there anyway you can do some sort of other exercise to add to your week? I got into hiking and I think that is what saved me from losing my motivation. I also started doing workout DVDS. I wanted my days to not be so monotonous, because for me, that was why I was losing motivation.

Good luck and again congrats on your weight loss!
kisskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:31 PM   #8  
No Room for Negativity!

S/C/G: 200/177/125

Height: 5'2"

Visit KissKiss's links and look at all of her before and after pictures......that is sure to motivate you!
minnie45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 299/159/129

Height: 5'1

That happened to me my last go round so this time I built in having fun along the way and being flexible once I got thru my first 45 day jumpstart. I applaud how far you've come. Two of the things that have really helps me stay committed (I love that about commitment above) is a self hypnosis CD set by Steven Gurgevich. He addresses this a lot and the use of visualization. here is a link to a book on visualization for weight loss that at the end has 16 visualizations you can record and use. I recorded mine over Theta music. He also gives you a link to a free one to listen to when you sleep at night. They really help. All of a sudden I found myself wanting to exercise more and eat green things I wouldn't even try before.(http://www.gingersflowergarden.com/D...LossBooks.html)
Also- I'm just curious-do you plan on counting calories the rest of your life?
What are your plans for when you do meet your goal? This time, after my initial 24 pound loss, I started eating the way I want to eat the rest of my life. How that looks has evolved over time. I love that you are eating fresh, nutritious food. I eat mindfully whole, organic foods now and am always stuffed-very rare cravings. Have tools for that.
How about instead of concentrating on being bored concentrate on bringing as much fun, joy, sense of gratitude and non food pleasure into your life. When I stay in the joyful moments of a bubble bath, playing with grandkids, even trolling the net for new recipes I don't get bored or think of exercise (which I vary up & I started out in a wheel chair!) or food for that matter. My "plan" has just become a regular part of my life. I hope that's not TMI.
FairyGaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:45 PM   #10  

Thank you everyone for your replies! I really like what you said IanG about switching things up. I really do think I am getting bored doing the same thing day in and day out. I think my next step is to take up jogging. There is a really neat 5k I would like to do at the end out September, so I think I will start training for that. I also think it is time for me to start strength training.

Koshka I never thought of it that way before. Focusing on commitment not motivation. I am committed to become the healthiest version of myself. Thank you for the insight.

jacqui_d thank you for those suggestions. I absolutely love cooking and am always looking for new healthy recipe ideas.

Minnie45, I have enjoyed spending "me" time lately. I love wearing new clothes. I am at the point now where I am getting compliments from everyone around me. I am losing weight for myself and no one else, but it still feels good to get the compliments!
Old 06-29-2015, 09:59 PM   #11  

kisskiss and fairygaia both of you have such great stories and have been inspiration to me even before you replied. Thank you for your suggestions. I have been thinking of hiking for awhile. I have a group of friends who go every Saturday morning and always ask me to join them. I live a 20 minute drive from the Smoky Mountains which has hundreds of miles of hiking trails. I am just scared of holding my friends back. I guess I need to get over that.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:02 PM   #12  
I Can Do This

S/C/G: S 270/C Ticker/MiniGoal#1 170

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by utgirl09 View Post
kisskiss and fairygaia both of you have such great stories and have been inspiration to me even before you replied. Thank you for your suggestions. I have been thinking of hiking for awhile. I have a group of friends who go every Saturday morning and always ask me to join them. I live a 20 minute drive from the Smoky Mountains which has hundreds of miles of hiking trails. I am just scared of holding my friends back. I guess I need to get over that.
You may really surprise yourself once you get out on the hiking trail. If you haven't been out since your loss or since you started your walks, you may find yourself with more energy than you realize.

And your friends WANT you to come. They'd have stopped asking if they didn't want you with them. If you happen to be a bit slower at the beginning, they're going to be perfectly fine with that I'm betting.
Vickie Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:30 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Boredom is a great opportunity to move out of your comfort zone and experience growth. I agree with Ian, it's time to take your fitness to the next level - you will find that this is something that will happen periodically, boredom in fitness means it's time to add something and venture away from the familiar. Up the intensity, change up the routine and use this as an opportunity to do something fun. There are so many things you can do, I'll add some more suggestions - take a dance class, join a meet up group, try yoga in the park, tennis, weightlifting, swimming, sign up for a race, join a volleyball team, go bikeriding. This summer I'm taking up paddleboarding!

Are you bored with food too? Try some different things, choose a vegetable you don't normally eat and look up all kinds of recipes to prepare that veggie. Try a grilled salad instead of a raw salad. Make grilled fruits! Find recipes for breadless sandwiches, there are some delicious recipes online. Take a vegetarian cooking class. Switch it up!

And congrats on the weightloss!
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:35 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 299/159/129

Height: 5'1

Yep! Get Over IT! They are your friends, right? I'm sure they would like to help anyway they can. All those years in my wheel chair ( still pinch myself that I'm 98 % out now -Zoo still too long a walk ) I felt like you did about holding people back, but I learned that the kind of people you want around you for support in your life find real joy in being able to help & support their friends.
FairyGaia is offline   Reply With Quote