Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 10:21 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Oh Jen, I wish you wouldn't beat yourself up. You will make it happen when you are ready. It's all baby steps. You can't undo what you ate tonight but you can start fresh tomorrow. Maybe try eating a little lighter and get more exercise in to counter act it and you probably won't gain. But we are all here for you anytime you need us. If you feel like over indulging then hop online and post or read a book or drink large glass of water.. anything to get your mind off of it. I know it's hard. I have been on so many diets and failed on so many diets... when i finally had success it was when I was so fed up with myself that I thought of nothing else. Kinda like when an addict hits rock bottom...then you start to climb out of it. I know you have it in you and I am here for you. Email me anytime if you like, I check it several times a day. [email protected]
Karen, how goes the diet? It's nice to be doing atkins with someone here. Kinda like Ginny and Jackie doing WW together. I have found two great sites I want to share with you... one is https://atkins.com , here you can keep an online journal, find low carb recipes, keep track of your weight and goals. I really like it. And then here is a great message board http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98 You can get great tips and motivation here. Do you count Net Carbs?? When I was on Atkins before I had never heard of this... but now it's better to count net carbs which is nice because I can have more of certain things or try things I thought was too high in carbs. Oh and I bought some great candy tonight!! I'm so excited about it... it from Russel Stovers and it's low carb. Pecan delight is it's name, but they also have truffles, peanut butter cups etc that are very low carb. Mine only has .8 carbs per piece and it tastes soooo good! The chocolate tasted great and caramel, etc. I am in heaven with this product. I will be picking more up soon. But I am limiting myself to just 1 or 2 a day as a treat so that I don't start consuming the whole bag at once. What has been your favorite recipe so far? What did you eat tonight? Dh made tacos so I had a taco but used a large lettuce leaf instead of a tortilla to wrap it up in, and it was very good and filling. Tomorrow I plan to make stuffed green peppers.
Well, my day has went well. My body is in full ketosis now and my hunger and cravings are gone. I feel really good. So here's to day #4 being a success!!
Old 08-13-2003, 10:32 AM   #17  
soontobethin

Jen,
Don't feel bad about getting off track. Everyone does it. In fact, i did it last fri and sat. Hubby took us to two all you can eat places. fri afternoon it was pizza, sat morning it was breakfast. I admit, I did over do it, but got back OP sat evening. Everyone slips, so don't worry about it.
I got up early today, and actually did an hour of aerobics. Even though I hadn't done that in a while, it wasn't that bad, which means, I have to intensify my work out. Oh, well. Just to check, i tried on my jeans from last winter, and looks like i have to go down a size. I don't know when i will be on here again, MIL will be here for 4 days, and when dh is at work, I get to entertain. So, everyone, have a good week, weekend, and keep up the good work.
Ricci.
P.S. Did anyone get the worm on their computer?
Old 08-13-2003, 10:44 AM   #18  
hangin' in there...

Thanks guys. I am still feeling a bit down, but I'm trying to "suck it up", as they say. Spryng, you are so right... it is all baby steps. And that's what frustrates me. I know that it took time to put the weight on, and it will take time to take it off. My problem is that it took NO EFFORT to put it on, but takes soo much work to get it off. Life just ain't fair!

Anyway, I am having a late/lite breakfast, then gotta take the kids out for shoes. Then we are home to spend the rest of the day by the pool. Maybe I can even get a workout in....... perhaps some water aerobics???

Have a good one, gang... will check in later.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:27 AM   #19  

Water aerobics is great! how big is your pool? Maybe you could get a few laps in too. Boy I wish we had a pool. And i understand what you mean about no effort going into gaining weight but much effort is needed to get it off. I was one of those people who if I couldn't get the weight off FAST then I didn't want to do it. That's why when I looked at my goals and saw that I probably won't hit my goal weight until January of next year it hit me that this is going to take awhile. So I really have to be sure I want this specific diet because on Atkins you really can't cheat because it throws your body out of ketosis and then you gain fast. But I think I have made the right descision and I am sticking to it. One of my motivating factors is that my Dh is going to be gone 4-8 weeks solid pretty soon and I hope to suprise him with how much weight I will have lost by then! That could be anywhere from 10-20 lbs!! So that is exciting to think about. But I am here for you!!
Ricci how great to pull out your jeans from last winter and see you need to go DOWN a size!! I would be thrilled! My jeans from last winter were maternity (lol) so I'm already making improvements too. And I hope you have a nice visit with your MIL.
Oh, Karen I wanted to tell you something about those russel stover chocolates I bought yesterday. I only had two but it brough back my hunger pangs. Not good. I don't know what it is in them but I am staying away from them for now. I didn't cave or anything but I just felt hungry from it last night. So be careful if you try any. i think I will let myself have one each week at weigh in if I did good. Then it wil become a low carb reward I'll look forward too.
Well today is going well. I had two chicken legs and some cheese for breakfast (I really don't care for eggs and bacon) and I have thawing out some hamburger meat for my stuffed peppers tonight, a chicken breast for my chicken and cheese roll up for lunch and some chorizo for a snack or a side to my dinner. So I am prepared for today.
Well, I got to get off here. Talk to you all later! Oh, Ginny how did your WI and WW meeting go today???
Old 08-13-2003, 01:38 PM   #20  
hangin' in there...

Hey, just thought I'd check in before I head out to the pool. Don't mind me if I get a bit blabbery over the next few days...... I need the feeling of "accountability" right now, if you know what I mean. Spryng, our pool is just a small 18ft above ground, 4 ft deep. Plenty big enough to float around and cool off, but not for laps. But, I can grab a corner away from the kids to do a little workout. I will use the noodle to float my upper body while I do cycle motions with my legs under the water. And I can use my hand weights for a little arm workout while I do water-jogging. The kids laugh and think I look silly, but it's fun and hardly feels like a workout because it's cool.

I'm feeling a little bit better about my eating and have done well, so far today. I know it is only the middle of the day, but I had just a very small, lite breakfast. For lunch, I am having chicken sausage and some low-fat cheddar cheese. I am going to try to do carb-free lunches for awhile. My SB book talks about how some people can benefit from having one carb-free meal per day for a couple of weeks in the beginning of their dieting..... sorta helps to kick start things. So that is what I'm going to try. I absolutely cannot cut out carbs completely without feeling deprived, so Atkins is out for me. But, I am going to work very hard to follow a low carb, low fat diet, and use portion control as well.

So, that is my plan, for today. I am begging for some type of influx of willpower to help me stick to it. ok, off to the pool................
Old 08-13-2003, 02:30 PM   #21  

You sound very optimistic today Jen! Good for you! Can you explain the basics of sugar busters to me? I've never read anything on it. My MIL has an 18' by 4' above ground pool too. Is yours one of those blue ones from walmart? That's what theirs is. the kids love to swim in it. But the water is too warm for me to enjoy. Feels like a bath now.
I'm doing well today also. I had my chicken with pepper jack cheese rolled up together and baked for lunch and it turned out good. I made tuna helper for the kids with some veggies. they loved it. I love it too but I didn't even want a taste of it. So I know I am mentally making progress.
Gotta get off here. Talk to you all later!
Old 08-13-2003, 03:45 PM   #22  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

Spryng - Yes, I am counting net carbs. Before I started atkins, I red both the current version of "the New Diet Revolution" and "Atkins for Life" cover to cover, got on the http://atkins.com site and researched more as well as talked to the support people there, and talked to my doctor. Although Losing weight is a big reason, the main reason I chose Atkins is because I am showing signs of insulin resistance. SInce DIabetes and Hypoglocemia run in my family, and atkins is the diet of choice these days for diabetics, I thought I better start now. So needless to say, I an following all 12 rules of induction to a "T"! No controlled Carb ANYTHING for me! I plan to stay on induction for at least 4-6 weeks then I will reasess the plan...

THe only recipe I have tried is the Cajun Pork Chops from the atkins site. Even my kids liked that one! I will be doing that again tonight. I do a lot of salads, tuna, chicken, smoked salmon... and since I love eggs.. I usually have one or two for breakfast along with either cheese and vegges or the Hormel brown and serve sausages... Dinner usually consists of meat, poultry or fish along with induction permitted veggies, a salad and then I toss in rice, potatoes or bread for the family.

Jen - Dont get down! If you havent read the book "Making the Connection" one of the 10 steps is Daily Renewal. I am a firm believer that we all need to forget our missteps of yesterday and start fresh today!

Ricci - Yippee on the reduction of sizes! I cant wait to do that!

Kristi - I forgot, are you on WW too? I remember the weighing and measuring. I got tired of it too. but the nice thing is that you can pretty much now eye ball it.. and do well! I know you will!

Ginny - How was WI? You are holding us in suspense!

Yesterday was a really trying day for us. Remember how I was saying my hubby's company was bought out? Well yesterday they did a round of layoffs. DH is still working, but it was sad because many of his friends were laid off. We are kind of in a holding pattern... as things settle.. I dont think we will have to move.. but I still am praying that all will go well for us on this...

I am totally OP for 10 days now! TOM began his visit yesterday, and although I am feeling crampy, I dont have horrible pain! This is a good sign! I am not sore today at all.. not even a twinge... WOO HOO!

Anyway.. I am off to eat lunch.. smoked salmon salad! YUM! Talk to you all later!
Old 08-13-2003, 04:02 PM   #23  
hangin' in there...

Yup, it's me again. You probably all want to tell me to shut the $#@! up by now!

Spryng, our pool came from a pool store, but it is similar to the "Smart Set" pools that you can get at Wal-Mart, etc. with the inflated ring around the top. This is our first year with it, and we love it. But, I am not looking forward to having to take it down in the fall.

Unfortunately, water aerobics got rained out. No sooner did we get outside did the sky open up with a huge clap of thunder. So, back inside, where I put a dvd on for the kids and made them somepopcorn. Then, I pulled my bike in front of the other tv and peddled 25 minutes while watching Food Network. I have to say, it was the worst work-out I've ever had! Every second was a struggle! The only reason I lasted 25 minutes was because the power flashed on and off very quickly after 15 minutes, and I had to go re-set the dvd for the kids. I then got back on and pushed myself anothe 10 minutes. But, I truly felt sick afterwards..... dizzy and like I wanted to vomit. I know I over-did it, but I am so disgusted with myself for being so out of shape. I then had to spend quite awhile in the bathroom . I think that maybe my body was trying to flush out all the garbage I ate yesterday??? It sure makes me not want to eat like that again!!!

ok, the storms have passed, so we will try the swimming again. Hopefully, it will wake me up, since I now feel exhausted.

Karen, I am so glad you are feeling well! Keep on that road you are on!
Old 08-13-2003, 09:02 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 160/158/125

Height: 5'4"

ok ok ok here i am! i finally pulled my head outa the comode for a bit! well at least I can laugh about it. I am feeling much better. Lets hope it has finally passed. I have entered the third trimester so maybe just maybe all this morning siskness will end! Well this also means I have to start preparing for this little guy to get here and for labor. I'm mentally ready, does that count? I've really gotten lazy tho and gained alot of weight. So I'm starting walking this evening and watching my sugar intake. Wish me luck girls.

Spryng those candies cause the awfulest cramps and poopies if you eat to much. I found that out when I did the adkins last year it was awful.

Good luck to you girls that are doing the adkins!

Oh I'm getting pulled off here again Will I ever get to finish a post??? Well maybe before I get into the bed tonight.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:26 PM   #25  

Good evening all!
Misty I am so glad you are feeling better. 3rd trimester already?? Boy time is really flying.
Mel, how are you? Maybe you have had your little one already?? can't wait to hear from you!
Jen, sorry you did not get to swim afterall. Maybe tomorrow you'll have better weather, but congrats on getting on your bike! You are doing great today.
My day went well. I stuck to my meal plan and everything. The kids even fought over my stuffed peppers for dinner. It's nice to know they love my "diet" food too. But of course they get plenty of carbs each day.
Well it's late and I really need to get in bed. Tanner has been out for 1 1/2 hours already. Shame on me for staying up so late. But he did sleep for 9 1/2 hours last night, took a bottle at 6:30 am this morning and went back out for another hour. i think I am getting spoiled. But I'm not complaining.
Ginny I missed hearing from you today. I hope everything is ok.
Ok Gals, I'm off here. Talk to you all tomorrow, G'nite!
Old 08-13-2003, 11:59 PM   #26  
burned out bus driver

Hi!
Just a quick hello, and today has been a busy day. My Ds's kids (Dn 20 and Dn 17) are staying over tonite, and they are out midnight bowling with my two oldest. Gotta go pick them up in a few minutes.

Spryng- glad that you had such a good day OP. You are doing great!!! Hey, I am up late too tonite......hope that you got some sleep, hon!

Michele-mental readiness is a big factor! Not that your mindset can change much, but being ready to face whatever comes is important. Hang in there watching your food intake, I always found it kind of hard the last month. I just read an article about eating an apple before each meal, and that helping curb bad eating impulses. Just an idea.......and apples are so good for you.

Jen- hey- don't make fun of those Walmart pools.....got one in my yard too!!!! And for the money, that thing has been a life saver.
And I agree with Spryng- don't beat yourself up!!! BTW- instead of the water park, we almost went to 6flags NE too! (2 hour drive for us). I have heard it is very nice.

Ricci- good luck with the Inlaws visit. WTG going down a size!!!

Karen- great that you are feeling better. Sorry about the situation at Dh's job. We have been thru that, and it is so tough to watch friends be let go. I hope that you make it thru this ordeal well.

Kristi- fight one battle at at time. If you can continue to work out and not go totally off with your eating that can work too. Or just get the eating back when you are ready. Don't give up!!!!

Gotta go pick up those nutty kids. Have a great nite!
Ginny
Old 08-14-2003, 12:05 PM   #27  

Ginny, so great to hear from you! How was your WI and meeting? I can't wait to hear what your instructor had to say. They always give good tips and advice.
My day is going so well. Did I tell you all that my best friend, the one who came down for the birth of Tanner, just found out she is pregnant? I'm so happy for her. She's tiny though, only weighs 90 lbs on her 5'7" frame. So I worry, but I know she is taking care of herself. She is due in April and is also thinking about moving back to oklahoma, which would make her only 4 hours away instead of 14!! I'm thrilled with that. I miss having friends close by.
I had chorizo with egg for breakfast. That's all so far. I'm not sure what I want for lunch but I have two lemon pepper fish filets waiting for dinner.
Well, got to go! Have a great OP day all!
Old 08-14-2003, 12:38 PM   #28  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

Spryng - where do you find your chorizo? Or do you make it yourself? I cannot find it anywhere.. except at a mexican food restaurant!

Ginny - I am so glad to hear from you! hope the kids didnt keep you up too late last night!

Misty - I hope you start feeling better soon. WIth my son i had "all-day" sickness for the whole pregnancy.. I remember it well.. lots of crackers and that sugar free flavored water you can get at Safeway (Vons is the other name here, I know the east coast has it too... but under another name.. starts with a "G")

Jen - good for you on that bike.. even with the struggle. I need to get back in the gym. THe child care expired.. so I need to wait until tmo when the paycheck comes in to by another card...

As for me, I am working on more Girl Scout Stuff today! I will talk to you all later!

Hugs!
Old 08-14-2003, 01:54 PM   #29  
hangin' in there...

Hi gang..........

Ginny, sounds like the gang is having a good time at your place! That is wonderful. I was not knocking the Wal-Mart pools...... we love our little pool! I guess I didn't realize SF NE would be so close to you, but it makes sense. Our frineds have season passes, and that's who we were going with. I have not been there since I was a kid, before it was Six Flags. But, they said the water park there is awesome! I'm hoping we can get there before the kids head back to school.

Spryng, congrats to your friend. It would be very nice for you if she moved closer. I hate moving/changing jobs because it takes me a long time to make new friends. I can really be quite shy. I just changed jobs about 7 weeks ago, and everyone at my new job has been very welcoming, and I am feeling comfortable there.

Karen, sounds like you are doing well, too. And, thanks for the encouragement... I really appreciate it!

So, I am keeping a good log of my eating. I worked last night, and did a little something different. Instead of havinig a regular dinner with the family in the evening, and then having another meal while at work, I just had some sauteed veggies in the evening. It put a little something in my belly and then I had my "dinner" while at work, around 1am. I came home from work and was hungry, so I just had some watermelon, which to me, is almost like a freebie. So now I am having a big salad for lunch, which is my carb-free meal for the day. And then I will have a good dinner with the family tonight. So, it looks like I have it worked out so that my middle-of-the-night meal at work will not put me over the top for a 2-day span of time. Make sense?

Oh, and a little good news... as awful as I felt after my work-out yesterday, we did get to go out to the pool. It really refreshed me, enough so that I ended up doing 10 minutes of water aurobics. That's what I'm going to do today, too. I have been up since 7am yesterday morning, so there's no way I could get on that bike today. But I can handle a good 20 minutes of water aerobics, and it is sunny and 90 degrees today.

OK, so gonna finish my lunch and head outside. Have a great day, everyone.....
Old 08-14-2003, 02:14 PM   #30  

Karen, I buy my chorizo at Walmart super center. I just love it. It has 4 grams of carbs per serving but also 4 grams of fiber so it just cancels itself out. (to my good luck!! I just LOVE it) I used to just cook it down in a pan and add 5-6 eggs and cook it until the eggs were done and eat it in a taco or burrito, but now I cook it up and eat it with a spoon, it's so good. And it makes enough left over for 1 or 2 more meals. I'm really finding that I don't have to give up my favorite foods afterall. How do you do at restaurants? I'm already looking into my options for when I am faced with that challenge. I know to avoid chinese at all costs because even though I know there are some things I can eat, I won't. I go straight for the lo-mein! So I have to stay away from that. Mexican I know I can have fajita's without tortillas, I stay away from Italian because I can't turn down pasta, and fast food I just need to go to those who have great salads. So I am really trying to make this a way of life and not a diet like I normally do. I feel really great though. I keep my carbs really low too. I used to get lectured on some forums when I would post how many I had that day but it's nice to know you keep yours low too. I eat plenty believe me and I take a multivitamin, and I eat veggies just not much right now. But tonight I'm thinking about making a stirfry to go with my fish. What are you having?
Jen, I am so glad that you are doing well. See?? I knew you had it in you! And good job on the exercise. I must admit I have slacked in this area. Since DH has went back to school he comes home so tired and needs to study for certain things and I feel bad asking him to watch the kids while I take a walk. And my bike is so noisy. I don't have time to get on it when the kids are up and I'm afraid it would wake the baby when he is asleep. I know I know... just excuses. I do plan on getting exercise in again I just don't know when or how right now. Any suggestions?
Ok, I have to scoot! TTYL!
Closed Thread