Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-18-2015, 02:02 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 300/195/120

Height: 5'4"

I'm so sorry. Sending hugs and positive vibes to you and your family
TreatYoSelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:28 PM   #17  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

How is your mom? I hope she didnt pass away
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:33 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 230/230/199

Height: 5' 10.5"

I'm sorry about your mom. It's crazy, but we can have death staring us in the face and it may not motivate us. I've seen severe COPD patients suck on that cigarette which makes it even harder to breathe. I can only imagine how scary it feels not to breathe. I think food addiction contributes. I will never deny my addiction to buttery popcorn, or buttered crust bread. :/
Recognize your weaknesses, each day is a new one and one step in the right direction is better than no step at all. *hugs*
nickilaughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:21 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

I am so sorry to hear about your mother, I hope she is recovering and doing well.

I find that I'm somewhat blind to my family history, as well. For us, it's cancer (on my dad's side). My dad died of cancer @ 62 and my brother's daughter had leukemia @ 3. Both of my dad's parents died of cancer and of the 13 first cousins (including him & his brothers) - only 2 are still alive. Of the remaining 11, one (his brother) died in a car accident @ 19 and one cousin died of heart disease...the rest? All cancer...

Me? I've had melanoma - TWICE (no chemo/radiation, thank goodness!). Oh yeah, and my mom had breast cancer @ 48. Through all of this, did I change my diet? Did I get enough sleep? Did I get enough exercise? Big NO. I knew all those years that I was putting myself at an even higher risk by not eating well, being so overweight, not exercising, etc. - but it just didn't click. Only really clicked for me the year I turned 40 and realized I couldn't have kids and that I needed to be strong & healthy for as long as possible - nobody here to take care of me or my husband except ourselves! I think until it happens to YOU (i.e., you have a heart attack or I get cancer) - it's still somewhat nebulous. We know we have a strong genetic disposition, we know we should take extra care, but we just continue to live in denial...

I totally get it.

Last edited by Lunula; 06-19-2015 at 01:22 PM.
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 04:21 PM   #20  

I can sympathise with your mind frame - it's the line of thought that you have to learn from their mistakes, because you have to prove their illness wasn't for nothing.

I have been through the whole thought train a lot recently, but I've come to the conclusion that I'm just guilting myself, and guilt won't work. We need to take time to get our minds in the right place, and to find a positive focus.

You'll probably be sick of advice, but take some time out to deal with things. Try to find healthy ways to bridge the gap until then.

Sending our best wishes.

Last edited by Coop27; 06-19-2015 at 04:22 PM.
Coop27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:15 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickilaughs View Post
It's crazy, but we can have death staring us in the face and it may not motivate us. I've seen severe COPD patients suck on that cigarette which makes it even harder to breathe. I can only imagine how scary it feels not to breathe.
My neighbor with COPD smoked right up until she died at age 50. It was torture to watch her do this to herself. The first few years I knew her she was mobile, had a hard time breathing but could get around with an oxygen tank. In a span of 8years she went from mobile to bed ridden and still smoking. The ambulance would be called at least twice a month for years. It's hard to understand what's going on with someone when they're death's door but I try not to judge. I after all I am fat and I'm sure someone is looking at me thinking "how could she do that to herself?"
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote