Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-24-2015, 03:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/230/199

Height: 5' 10.5"

Default When you get an injury

I think imay have done some damage to my foot as whenever I put pressure on in a certain way,there's some pretty impressive pain.im doing RICE (rest, ice, etc). So frustrating though because I'm down 13 lbs and I feel like I can't work out.
I'm just trying to be really careful about diet for now, but I'm still mad.
Anyone been there and overcame it? I can handle things like shin splints, I have a high pain tolerance, but this is definitely telling me "don't do that" at random times when walking, etc.
nickilaughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:31 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Yes. I hurt my toe months ago while running (too fast down hill). At first I thought it might be gout Then it was diagnosed as bursitis. And then it was correctly diagnosed as a pulled tendon that just made my toe swell.

Initially, I did what you did and rested for a week. 9 times out of 10 a little rest does the job. Anti-inflammatories might also work well. If it lasts longer than a week I would advise you to seek medical attention.

You don't lose much/any conditioning resting up to two weeks. After that the decline is pretty slow. You can always do upper body exercises instead. That's what I did.

I am back to running now, with a little discomfort. I use toe splints and wrap my foot. And my doctor is fitting an orthopedic insole to my running shoes to take the pressure off. He doesn't want me to stop running because then he will have to treat my depression instead!

Last edited by IanG; 02-24-2015 at 03:35 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:41 PM   #3  

Thanks Ian for making me feel better. I'd been doing it all pretty hard and didn't want to lose momentum. If I'm not better by Monday I'll schedule appointment.
Guess ill just keep working on pull down progress...
Old 02-24-2015, 03:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 164/158/137

Height: 5'5

Yes! I've just gotten over a toe injury (it sounds lame, but I injured my big toe an couldn't run, which was my main exercise!).

I've been out for a month.. I was running 4k a day and now struggle with 1k, so it feels like starting over . I would strongly recommend that you don't stop exercise altogether (don't get a flat tyre and then get out and slash the other three)! Take a couple of days' rest, use the RICE method, then get back to the gym.

DON'T put pressure on your foot: swimming and cycling are your friends. Also, the stepper might not be too bad depending on how painful the injury is, or those weird arm-cycle machines, or boxing if you don't move your feet too much.

So yeah, my main advice is to keep doing something, even if you just swim every day, otherwise you might lose momentum like I did... and it's really hard to get it back!

Good luck - hope it heals soon!
Kitkat1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:11 PM   #5  

The swimming pool at my gym is sadly outdoors and probably won't be open for another month. I think I'm going to try cycling, as direct pressure on the foot intermittently causes sharp shooting pain down the medial lateral aspect of my foot all the way to the little toe.
I've been resting for 3 days but it's driving me crazy! Thanks for the suggestions guys!
Old 02-24-2015, 08:59 PM   #6  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Guess ill just keep working on pull down progress...
Yep, that is still ON!
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote