Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-12-2015, 02:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: s/c/g 174/168.6/150

Height: 5'8"

Default Who is trying to lose when they are close to a healthy BMI?

Hi everyone! Just had a few questions for those of you that are close to a healthy weight range.

I am 170 and for most of my adult and at 5"8' I would be at a healthy BMI when I get to 164. When I got married 15 years ago, I was around 150, I think. (Back then, I had a much healthier relationship with food and I literally never weighed. I don't think I even owned a scale! )) I have been in the 160s for the last 10 years, aside from three pregnancies when I obviously was a lot more than that!

So I realize that the weight loss will be slower. I've been at this for about 6 weeks and I've lost 4 pounds. Seem ok? Similar to your experience? Did you have to be very strict with eating when you got close to a healthy BMI? More exercise necessary? I'm just curious what your experiences were and how you managed to lose those last 10-20 pounds even when you were at a healthy BMI?

Thanks!
ThinHabits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:08 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

You seem to be doing good. It is tough to lose when you get close to the normal range. I have never quite made normal BMI. I am 25 point something. My main sticking point is the gym. I weight train so adding muscle makes it difficult to lose.

If you want to crack it, do keep strict eating and if you exercise focus on cardio.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:13 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

There's a whole forum that's specific to the issues faced when losing a smaller amount of weight...it's called "Featherweights". You might find others in the same boat, and some more experienced answers, there:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/featherweights-197/
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:14 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I'm not as close as you are to the healthy BMI range, but I'm also fighting being very close and having it be a slow progress.

I can't say anymore that I started at 200 lbs because I haven't been that weight in over 5 years... or longer. I've been in the 160s pretty steadily since 2010. I just need to cross over into the 150s, reach 150 and then reassess again my weight.

I think 4 lbs in six weeks is great. I'm hoping for as much in that time (I would be ecstatic).
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: s/c/g 174/168.6/150

Will check out the Featherweights... thanks!
ThinHabits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 200+/160.8/135

Height: 5'5.5

You're doing great!

I'm already at a healthy BMI but have a small frame and am still losing some vanity lbs. I have to be extremely strict at this point. Right before entering the healthy range and right after though wasn't too bad, I didn't need to be nearly as strict as I do now, but I remember noticing the slow down. If I'm strictly on plan .5 lb a week seems to be what I'll average now.
Dottington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:22 AM   #7  
New Healthy Mum

S/C/G: 229/145.5/141

Height: 5ft8

My current BMI is 26.8 and like you I am 5ft8. For me to have a normal BMI i need to lose another 12.5 pounds and I know this is going to be a struggle. I am also breastfeeding which helps with weight loss and I am also planning on experimenting with a few different methods to shift the weight.

Also another thing I am planning on doing is eating more fat burning foods so that I can kickstart my weight loss.

My target is to go to my BMI range for valentines day - so watch this spot to see the results that I get!
sammymilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:43 AM   #8  

S/C/G: H~285... 260/ticker/155

Height: 5'6"

I am about 15 pounds away from the tippy top of the "healthy" BMI range for my height (5'6"). I am totally happy where I am right now, it's definitely a big improvement over where i was 2 years ago! But my goal is still to not be "overweight" anymore.

My issue is that a lot of people in my life are telling me not to lose anymore bc I'm "so skinny" right now. Even the nurse at my doctors office said, "You look great, don't lose anymore!" I am curvy so I think I carry the weight better than others who have more abdominal fat, and I think i look like i weigh less than i do. Idk, i guess these last pounds are just for vanity and being able to say I'm not overweight anymore.

Last edited by Beka; 01-17-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Beka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 02:36 PM   #9  
Rain on the Beach

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beka View Post
My issue is that a lot of people in my life are telling me not to lose anymore bc I'm "so skinny" right now. Even the nurse at my doctors office said, "You look great, don't lose anymore!" I am curvy so I think I carry the weight better than others who have more abdominal fat, and I think i look like i weigh less than i do.
UGH, I can relate to this so much. I was told not to go on a diet to begin with (and even had cookies shoved in my face!) because my friends say I'm "skinny" and don't need a diet. I carry weight in my thighs and buttocks, so it looks more like I'm "naturally curvy" and not that I've been eating tons of unhealthy food. I know the difference between myself now and myself a couple years ago... I know the weight gain isn't healthy and needs to come off, and that's that.

As long as you're aiming for a healthy weight and aren't acting in ways that are dangerous to your body to get there, I think it's fine to keep on going.

To get back on topic, my BMI at my highest weight was 25.9. I'm aiming for 21.3 - right around the center of normal. I'm expecting the process to be very gradual, but that's okay as long as I can keep the weight off once I lose it.
Lluvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 02:44 PM   #10  

Yeah i have the booty but a slim upper body/waist so i look hourglass shaped for the most part. I guess I'm lucky that even overweight i look ok...
Old 01-17-2015, 03:01 PM   #11  
Rain on the Beach

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beka View Post
Yeah i have the booty but a slim upper body/waist so i look hourglass shaped for the most part. I guess I'm lucky that even overweight i look ok...
I'd say you are! The diet book I'm using (South Beach Supercharged) mentions that there are "apple-shaped" people and "pear-shaped" people... The pear-shaped people (like us) are apparently at a lesser risk of obesity-related health problems due to where we carry our weight, but the downside is it takes more effort to lose. Also, I like my butt, and I'm actually hoping that I can more or less keep it even despite the weight loss.
Lluvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 03:11 PM   #12  

I like my figure, just wish there was a little less of it! Lol! I like having a butt but I'm working on toning mostly.