Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-31-2014, 12:58 AM   #16  
Less of a Better Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
I don't know what to tell you about the treadmill, personally I hate them and so I would never buy one, especially since you live in Texas and the weather consistently permits you to walk outdoors.
Ummm...FWIW, no it doesn't. I'm a lifelong Texan and from about May to October I can't walk outdoors...too hot and humid. I look up the heat index and when it is dangerously high I don't walk outside (there are a few times in that period I can but during most of it).

Even in winter, there are days that is rainy or so windy that it is hard to walk outside.

So -- for me -- although I love walking outside and would prefer to do it all the time, I have the treadmill for when it isn't possible.

To the OP -- I think home gym equipment is great (I have a treadmill and exercise bike) but it is an investment so I would make sure it is equipment you will use before buying it. I found that joining the Y to try out certain equipment was an inexpensive way to try equipment and even go to classes (if you like them) but without the commitment of a long contract.

As others have said, I would work more on you doing what you need to do and finding support in ways that don't involve your husband.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:13 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshka View Post
Ummm...FWIW, no it doesn't. I'm a lifelong Texan and from about May to October I can't walk outdoors...too hot and humid. I look up the heat index and when it is dangerously high I don't walk outside (there are a few times in that period I can but during most of it).

Even in winter, there are days that is rainy or so windy that it is hard to walk outside.

So -- for me -- although I love walking outside and would prefer to do it all the time, I have the treadmill for when it isn't possible.
It's totally a case of "to each their own" because I find no motivation on a machine. I'd rather go to a gym if weather was an issue. Or take a dance class. Then at least I'd be out in public, with other healthy doers which is a big motivating factor to me. Heat is indeed a more deterring factor for me than cold, I'm out there rain or shine. But with heat then I just switch over to swimming or go out really really early in the morning for a walk. I can see the appeal of treadmills for other people, they just don't work for me.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote