3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Weight Loss Support

Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-19-2014, 12:03 PM   #46

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Lots of fresh herbs, I have chives and parsley on hand constantly and add them to everything lol. You'd be surprised how tasty steamed rice is if you add a little lemon juice and a few herbs. I add olive oil or butter too but I'm not scared of adding fat to my food. Fresh garlic adds lots of flavor too. Lots of spices too like cumin, coriander, allspice, nutmeg, chinese 5spice, etc.

Roasting brings out a lot of flavor in vegetables. I like to roast vegetables for everything! Steamed veggies have their place but I choose the roasted ones any day.

I also add frozen peas to just about everyting - salads, stir fries, pasta dishes, rice dishes, and they hardly need any cooking at all, just throw them in at the end and they thaw immediately in the food.

I've learned to crave color in my food - the more colorful it is the more flavorful it is.

"If you pay attention to when you are hungry, what your body wants, what you are eating, when you've had enough, you end the obsession because obsession and awareness cannot coexist." - Geneen Roth
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:18 PM   #47
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

Thanks, carter! And thanks everyone else, too! I wish I was better at intuiting (or remembering) which spices go well with what. Your tips will definitely help!

I don't avoid salt. I agree that it can elevate a dish. I tend to like just enough salt that it does that, and not so much salty foods.

Sadly I do not have any Indian (or Asian or anything) grocery stores or markets where I live. The most exotic thing we have (and the smallest) is a Target. :/

nonameslob: I too saute in broth/stock or water often. Mostly because I always manage to damage myself around any hot oil (even a tbsp).

Wannabeskinny: I love fresh herbs! However, I don't buy them much because they're expensive, and I don't grow my own because they ALWAYS DIE. I can't keep a plant alive to save my life. I try sun, fertilizer, new soil, water, rain, etc. etc. when a plant starts to die, and so far nothing has stopped it.

Last edited by LiannaKole; 12-19-2014 at 05:19 PM.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:30 PM   #48

S/C/G: 244/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

Lianna, I'm like you in that I can't really remember.. I did find this page (and have printed out a few of the info graphics) that helped me out a bit. http://www.cooksmarts.com/cs-blog/20...-guide-spices/

The whole site is actually really awesome for a resource, or at least I've found it to be.

One year of accountability started 10/06/2014
sunarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:56 AM   #49
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonameslob View Post
^ Don't forget lemon juice! Adds tons of flavor, and often when you use lemon juice, you don't need to use as much salt, if sodium is a concern.

I also use chicken broth in everything to add flavor (I keep a jar of Better than Bouillon chicken base on hand). I "saute" veggies in it instead of oil.
These are both very good points. I should probably use the chicken broth technique more than I do. Acid (as in lemon juice) added late in cooking brightens flavors much the same way salt does. I suggest keeping fresh lemons on hand; packaged lemon juice tends to be bitter. I'm actually not a huge fan of the flavor of lemon juice so I am more likely to use red wine vinegar when I need a splash of acid or a spice from the Indian grocery called amchur, or powdered green mango.
* Make the best choice I can make, with every choice.
* Remember that the temptation in front of me is not the last of its kind that I will ever see; say "I'll pass today."
* Say "no!" to my whiny inner five-year-old.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 12:57 PM   #50
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Quote:
Carter: what are your techniques for adding flavor to food but not calories? I'm always looking for tips like that.
Same here, I'm always looking for tips too

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"One year from now, all the hard work with be worth it"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Weight Loss Pictures:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini...-pictures.html
1st MAJOR Goal - 250
2nd MAJOR Goal - 200
FINAL Goal - 150
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 01:41 PM   #51
Turning Into A New Woman