Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 09:12 AM   #31  

Location: New Jersey...in a town a stone's throw away from NYC.

Thank you Natalie!

I think that could be my main problem. I am too hard on myself when I diet. There is no such thing as perfection. Dont you think that so many dieters fall short on their diets because of exactly what you just said? We eat a hershey's kiss and thats the END. Thats what I am going to conquer.

I AM SO GRATEFUL FOR THIS BOARD.

Janine
Old 08-19-2003, 11:44 AM   #32  

I totally agree. I know that's why I failed for so long. This time around I am viewing this as a lifestyle change. In fact, I won't even use the work diet. For me it's my plan, my life plan.
You'll notice that last week wasn't so great for me but, I've picked myself up and I'm not dwelling on it. I am right back here and so far I'm feeling much better.

It also helps to be EXTREMELY positive at all times.
Old 08-20-2003, 08:20 AM   #33  

Good Wednesday Morning Ladies,

Hope all is well with you! Plan on today being another on program day. I am so grateful to all of you!!! It is wonderful to have a place to come and get love and support and encouragement, a place to laugh and cry, and rant and rave if we need to!!! (beats overeating over it!!!) Just wanted to say thanks to all of you for the opportunity to share our stories, our struggles and our successes, isn't this forum just FABULOUS????

Have a great day girls, hope to read some posts here today!!!! Get on up now and start your day!!
Old 08-20-2003, 09:55 AM   #34  

middle of the week...sunday is our goal day.
Old 08-20-2003, 04:05 PM   #35  

Well, mid-week and I am doing great! Not one single problem, and I've done my workout Mon and Tues as planned. I even bought a new set of 8 pound weights. I'm moving up in the world ladies!
Old 08-20-2003, 08:57 PM   #36  

way to go, girl!!!!!!!!! doesnt it feel great????!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-21-2003, 02:10 PM   #37  

Hello All!

Wow it is great to see the newbies carrying the board! I have been a way for a couple of days. Ds started kdg and today was the first full day. So it has been busy trying to get everyone used to the new schedule.

Sounds like everyone is really doing great! Amanda how is it going? I lost 1.25 this week. Which I did not expect but was certainly happy about it. I have had trouble fitting my exercise in as much and need to find away to get back into the swing of it.

Hope you all have a great rest of the week! Jaya I have to agree with Natalie that you set your self up if "forbid" certain foods. Or say you never will cheat. Believe me I cheat. But I try to cutback, eat in moderation foods I like. Also I don't string a bunch of bad days together and this helps. I have noticed I tend to eat more on the weekend and hit it harder during the week. This works for me. You have to find you happy medium! Good LUck!

Beth

SW 200
CW 137
GW 135
Old 08-22-2003, 10:58 AM   #38  

Hello ladies! I'd love to join in your goal oriented group. I am soon to be 46 yrs old and want to get back to maintenance on my weight. I got to a good weight of 128# by joining WW about 2 yrs ago.(couldn't quite reach my WW goal of 120--I'm thinking my body just won't go that low anymore!) Then over last winter i gained back 12 # and want to get rid of them plus about 5 more IF possible. These are very stubborn pounds. Plus they seem to want more "fat cells" to hang out with, so if i don't do some serious changes i will be right back where i started. And that really scares me! I'm short --barely 5'2" and i was up to 166# when i began WW. Now i'm 140# and my personal goal is 123 or so. You guys seem to be such an upbeat group that I'd love to join in. I post on another board, but it's very quiet in there and seems to be staying that way.

Right now i've decided to keep a gallon of water in the refrig so i can monitor how i'm doing on drinking my quota. So far so good, but it has been so hot n muggy i think that was making it easier. One just gets thirsty in that humidity.

As far as monitoring my food, i'm just watching portion sizes and trying to eat a balanced diet. I only snack at night w/DH when he gets to have his Sugar-Free ice cream. I figure that is good for me also. We are both cutting some bad carbs out of our diets and this does seem to be helping with the cravings. Higher on the protein seems to work very well for me.

For exercise i do some walking. Usually 2 miles every other day lately. Need to up that

Well, enough on me for now. Hope to hear from more of you soon. If anyone has any new recipe that they tried and liked, please pass it on and i will do the same!

thinlizzie
sw 140
cw 140
gw 123

Last edited by thinlizzie; 08-22-2003 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:35 AM   #39  

Hi ladies I'd like to join you too. I've been on and off the diet wagon most of my life. In January 1999 I weighed in at 175 pounds. I was appalled. I went on an ultra lowfat high/ carb diet and had some success, then I started gaining again. I decided to control my carb intake unsuccessfully for a couple of years. Well the other day when they weighed me in at the doctors office and I am almost back where I started I knew this is it, so here I am going to try a new tact. I'm going to get back in to exercise, and keep a calorie journal and start drinking more water. I have to be careful what exercise I do as not to aggravate my hip and knee. This is a little bit about me. I am 51 years old, have 5 children and 8 grandchildren. I spent most of my time working as a nurse, and in home health care. I really enjoyed my job, but haven't worked in awhile because DH said he made enough to support us and said he preferred me to stay home. I am care giver to most of my grandchildren while my kids work. It's better for everyone, tho there are days when it gets to me. I love crafting and quilting, gardening, and home improvement activities. I am also an avid reader. Looking forward to getting acquainted. Judy
Old 08-22-2003, 02:36 PM   #40  

Hi everyone. I'd love to join you. I have been reading about all of you and you sound like a great support system. I have registered about 5 or 6 times and each time it was time to submit I'd get scared (I'm not a computer whiz and was afraid I wouldn't know how to do this!)and would hit the cancel button. But now here I am!

A little bit about myself. I'm a single mother (my husband of almost 25 years was killed in a car accident in March of this year). I am 45 and I have 2 sons - 20 and 18. I just took my youngest to college on Wed. so it's very quiet at my house. My oldest is also in college. I now weigh 150.5 pounds. I did weigh 192 pounds in March. I lost the weight after my husband died - no choice - I just couldn't eat. It's a terrible way to lose weight! I started walking shortly after he died just to have something to do and realize now how much better I feel physically. My goal is to keep walking this winter. I do have the WATP 3 mile tape and so hope to use that if it is unbearably cold outside. I'm afraid that when winter comes I am going to be bored and will just sit in the house and eat. Another goal I need to set is to drink more water. I have a hard time doing that. I would really like to get to 140 pounds and be able to maintain that. I have been at 150.5 to 152 the last month and the scale hasn't been moving now. Needless to say, I am able to eat again and I love my sweets!!! I love to read and somehow think that everytime I read I need to eat!

Thanks for letting me join you.
Julie
Old 08-22-2003, 04:11 PM   #41  

Welcome Julie, I jst posted here today, but have posted on other places on this board.I am so sorry to hear about your husband. My prayers are with you, take care and God Bless, Judy
Old 08-22-2003, 04:42 PM   #42  

Whoa! We have so many new comers Welcome all of you! This is going to be fun, I can tell.

So it's almost the end of the goal week and I've been good. I'd rate myself about a B-. Today was a little out of wack. Too much sugar and not enough healthy food. Dinner is just around the corner and I'm going to whip up some salmon and tons of veggies. Then maybe some fruit as a snack. I have Sat and Sun to finish out my goodness.
I'm also working on some personal issues that got brought out in my journaling. So it's going to be an interesting soul searching weekend for me.

Thanks for listening, I'll catch up with you all later!

Natalie
Old 08-23-2003, 08:15 AM   #43  

Welcome newbies!

Wow missed one day and we get three new people great! Well I made it through the first week of kindergarten for ds. Well maybe I should say he made it through. Teacher said he was doing okay which is a relief for me. My ds has trouble with his speech and he also gets physical therapy. If you met the kid its not obvious but of course being mom I am overly concerned. He also is the youngest in his class. Just turned 5 this week. But with his special needs the only real choice was to send him to kindergarten he has had two years of preschool. So hopefully he will continue to do well. They have him supported well but somtimes i think to much. He is getting the idea that he needs help on everything! LOL!

Amanda how is it going? YOu need to come back and see how your little thread is growing! I know some of you post with her elsewhere have you heard from her?

I have a busy weekend so I may not get back on. Hope all contiues to go well!

Julie I am so sorry to hear about your dh. I can't imagine what you are going through.

Beth
Old 08-23-2003, 09:18 AM   #44  

Angry

Good Morning Ladies~

Reporting in, my weigh in shows i'm still holding at the same weight. But my clothes are feeling a bit looser, so i'm hoping a number will change in the near future. It's near my TOM, so that could make for some water retention!

losingin illinois~~ glad you got that first day of kindergarten over with. Can be traumatic i'm sure. Tho' i don't have children i do have many neices and nephews and enjoy them alot.

justme2338~~~ what is it about having sugar, it just leads to more bad eating! I have a love/hate relationship with it. All i have here are a few of those new lifesaver swirl candies and that can even do me in at times! I have to rid the house of ALL of it i guess! I am going to go now and get some exercise to make up for the bad snack yesterday. When does our week start-- Sunday or Monday for our goal period??
That's great that you are getting somewhere in your journaling. Discovering yourself is great. keep it up
Hope the salmon turned out good. How do you cook yours? I have a package thawing now, and i'm going to try a (spicy)dry rub on it and grill it. I'll let you know how it is. Depending on DH's schedule i'll either make it today or tomorrow. He is busy helping his brother put on a new roof! he will get a workout for sure.

blondej~~~ so glad you got brave and joined a thread. I think this one could be just what we all need. I was so sorry to read of your loss. That is one of the most stressful things we go thru in our lives, losing a spouse. Glad you are able to eat and now you can chose very wisely on what you do eat. I TRY(tho i'm sure i'm not perfect!) to think of things that are the most fresh/healthiest for my body, cause really food is a drug. Think about it, they make us fast before blood works, as they it does make things different in our systems apparently!

JudyMH~~ glad to meet you too! That is good that you don't have to do your line of work now, with your knees being bad. Can you go to a pool for water exercises? That is one of the lowest impact for bad knees. I tried it last winter and it was an awesome workout. Do you have arthritis then?
I love reading also, i like most forensic/mystery type novels.
I also love gardening, so you and i have alot in common.
What kind of home improvements do you like/or have done? YGG~

I have my gallon of water filled and ready to go for today. On my walk i take a small bottle of it also. I drank over 1/2 gallon yesterday so that was good. I think the worst habit i have left is the coffee i drink in the morning...lets just say when the doctor asks i don't tell the whole truth about how much of it i consume!

Well, heres to a healthy day for all of us. Hope to hear from some of you this weekend. I should be able to post.
thinlizzie

P.S. I have this to pass along. From Mooz on our buddy up thread. Thought you'd enjoy it

Health TipsHow To Lose Weight And Maintain Energy

If you have excess body fat that you want to lose, you must understand that diets don't work! In order to lose weight healthfully and successfully keep it off, you should look at your eating. After all, eating contributes to weight problems...particularly the over-eating that commonly occurs after blowing a strict diet.Strict diets teach you willpower. Strict diets leave you feeling deprived of one of life's pleasures - food. Rather than diet, you should learn how to healthfully eat diet portions of any food that you currently enjoy and would like to eat throughout the rest of your life. Healthful eating offers more long-term success than crash dieting. Healthful eating also ensures adequate vitamins, minerals, protein and carbohydrates--the nutrients you need to exercise at your best. The following eating tips can help you successfully lose weight plus have energy to train hard and exercise at your best. Expect to gradually lose weight at a realistic rate of one-half to three pounds per week depending on your body size and total amount of fat you have to lose.

Twelve Steps for Successful Weight Reduction
#1 Write down what you typically eat in a day, then evaluate your meal patterns and eating habits. Do you nibble all afternoon? Devour huge dinners? Munch-out at night? If you eat very few calories during the day but then over-eat at night, experiment with eating a bigger breakfast, lunch and a planned afternoon snack. Then you will be less hungry at night and better able to eat a smaller dinner.By giving yourself permission to eat more calories during the day, you will not only have more energy to exercise, you will also prevent yourself from getting too hungry. Generally speaking, once people are ravenously hungry, they don't care about what they eat nor how much and can too easily over-eat.

#2 If you over-eat when you are stressed, nervous or lonely, remember that no amount of food will satisfy you. You really need a hug and human comforting. Food is only fuel. It will not resolve your problems.

#3 To lose weight appropriately, you should know your calorie budget. To determine the number of calories for your reduction diet, you first need to estimate your maintenance calories:· Multiply your desired weight by 10 to determine your resting metabolic rate (the amount of calories you need to simply lay in bed all day and breathe). For example, if your target weight is 120 pounds, your resting metabolic rate is about 1,200 calories. You burn off these calories even if your are injured or taking a rest day from exercise.· Add another third to half of that number for your general daily activity excluding your specific training or exercise program. If your are mostly sitting, studying, or working at a desk, you need fewer calories than if you are active during the day (i.e. going up and down stairs, walking around, doing errands). For examply, a 120 pound mother with 2 children is quite active and burns approximately: 1,200 calories (resting metabolism) + 600 calories (general activity) = 1,800 calories (without exercise).· Next, add on calories burned off during your exercise program.
Calories You may burn more calories or fewer calories, depending on many factors unique to your body. For example, fidgeters need more calories than mellow folks! A registered dietitian can help you more accurately determine your actual energy needs.
#4 Subtract 20% of your maintenance calories to determine an appropriate calorie target for weight loss. For example, if you maintain your weight on about 2,000 calories, you should plan to lose weight on about 1,600 calories. Note that individuals of a more petite body structure will subtract fewer calories than average sized individuals. If you cut back more than 20%, you will likely become ravenously hungry and put yourself at high risk of blowing your diet.

#5 Organize your eating into a balanced plan. For example, divide your 1,600 calorie diet into three meals plus snacks, such as: breakfast - 500 calories; lunch - 500 calories; afternoon snack - 100 calories; dinner - 500 calories. By eating the majority of your calories during the day, you will have energy to exercise at your best. You will also be able to (easily) "diet" at night because you will be less hungry.Remember: you will not gain weight by eating a substantial breakfast or lunch. You will gain weight, owever, if you skimp on these meals, get too hungry and then over-eat during the evening!

#6 Eat slowly. Over-weight people tend to eat faster than their normal-weight counterparts. Your brain needs about 20 minutes to receive the signal that you have eaten your fill. No matter how much you consume during these twenty minutes, the satiety signal won't move any faster. Hence, you should try to pace your eating. Practice chewing slowly, putting down the fork between bites rather than eating non-stop, and tasting and savouring the food.

#7 Once a week, relax and enjoy a piece of birthday cake, a special Sunday breakfast or a planned treat. This will give you incentive to maintain your reducing program when tempted at other times. When enjoying this treat, be sure to eat it slowly to fully enjoy the taste. After all, the best part about food is the taste.

#8 Keep away from food sources that tempt you. For example, read the newspaper in the living room rather than the kitchen. Avoid jogging past the bakery. Stand away from the buffet table at a party. By keeping food out of sight, you will be more likely to keep it out of minde -- and out of your mouth!
#9 If you tend to eat because you are bored, stressed, tired or lonely, make a list of ten non-food activities that you can do instead of eating: water the plants, take a bath, call a friend, write letters, go for a walk, go to sleep, etc.. If you eat because you are stressed, take steps to resolve the real problem. Recognize that no amount of food will resolve the stress. Learn how to handle stress and anxiety without over-eating.

#10 Think positive. Every morning before you get out of bed, visualize yourself eating appropriately and acheiving your nutrition goals. This will help you start the day with a positive attitude. Continually remind yourself that you would rather be leaner than over-eat.

#11 Measure success by looking at yourself naked in the mirror. If you see, and pinch, less fat, you have less fat! If you weigh yourself, do so once a week first thing in the morning, after you have gone to the bathroom and before you have eaten. Don't weigh yourself after a workout or at night -- that gives a false weight! Remember that if you are starting an exercise program, you may gain pounds of muscle while you lose pounds of fat. The scale may read the same weight, but your body will be different.

#12 Be proud of your healthy eating patterns and keep reminding yourself that when you eat well, you not only feel better but you also feel better about yourself. Plus, you have enough energy to exercise and enjoy life.

Last edited by thinlizzie; 08-23-2003 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-23-2003, 10:46 PM   #45  

Hi all - thanks for the warm welcome. Yes, this is a hard time in my life but I have no choice but to go on. I've always been a person whose cup is half full not half empty so I will survive this. (I've got lots of good memories to help me through it too!) My motto has always been "If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it."

Well enough sad things! Although I am sad about how I ate today! lol I was in the cupboards all day and felt like I spent the whole day eating. I didn't get my walk in either today and not enough water. I did sweat for about 30 minutes trying to put the bucket seats back in my van (we took them out to move ds to college). It's the first time I had to put them in and it took me a while but I did it!!! I was so proud of myself!! As you can tell, little things make me happy! lol Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day - exercise, eating right and drinking water.

Thinlizzie, it sounds like you're doing great if the clothes are starting to feel loose. Sometimes we have to go by that rather than the scale. I wish I could just ignore the scale but I can't. I also love to read. I read mostly mystery/serial killer type books. Yikes!! I sound scarey!! lol I love hearing authors and names of books other people have read so you'll have to keep me posted.

Beth, I remember the Kindergarten days. My oldest ds has Cystic Fibrosis so I always worried about him too. Also with him, like your ds, you'd never know by looking at him. I work at a school with elementary kids and I know the kids are well taken care of. So it's too bad we mothers have to worry!

Judy, thanks for the prayers and keep them coming!!! That is so great that you can be the caregiver for your grandchildren. I spent alot of time with my grandma when I was young and now I realize how lucky I was to be able to do that. Not everyone has their family close to them.

Natalie you sound like me when you say you've had too much sugar. I love anything sugar! That's my downfall. I've had to just not buy those sweet things anymore because I don't have the willpower to leave them alone.

Everyone else - hope all is going well.

Julie
Closed Thread