Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-07-2014, 02:56 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Muguet that's a good attitude to have in my opinion. Hopefully you're open minded when it comes to information because I think you've got it all wrong when it comes to "Fed Up".

I've seen the movie and like most food documentaries the objective is not to inform it is to sell movies. Most people don't understand how documentaries are made. It's not some altruistic mission by the movie makers it's a business plan. Dr Mark Hyman? Just look at the crap books he sells on Amazon. Lose 10 lbs in 10 days by following his 10 day detox diet. Give me a break! Yes, there are some documentaries that do just try to inform you but "Fed Up" is not one of them. "Fed Up" is sensational and tells you many things which are true but don't tell the whole story so you ultimately are uninformed. Perfect example?

Sugar is not more addictive than cocaine. We are not rats. Allow me to elaborate.

There has been a lot of crap science done around this issue but when you look at incentive based studies that have been done the logic is pretty easy to follow. A large one was done by Jenny Craig. It had nothing to do with sugar or cocaine but it's highly relevant in my opinion. Stick with me here.

Study participants received free Jenny Craig food as long as they stayed on the program. It would probably come out to $100 a week. This was a study done on overweight and obese women. Over 90% of the women stayed on the diet plans for two years. How many cocaine addicts do you think would stay clean for $100 a week? This isn't a perfect anaology but the point is if sugar was 8x more addictive than cocaine or even equally as addictive the analogy wouldn't work at all. $100 a week wouldn't keep people on a diet if sugar was truly that addictive.
I'm not actually a proponent of of the "sugar is just as addictive as crack" theory, but interestingly, there is some science to suggest that drug addicts also will respond to financial incentives, and that drug users are more "rational" in their choices to use than previously thought. In fact, being offered $5 was enough to make crack users use less. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/17/sc...22RI%3A5%22%7D

In my view, certainly people's compulsion to eat can "feel" like addiction, but perhaps "addiction" is less descriptive than "compulsion." It seems that addiction seems to denote a disease model, whereas "compulsion" is more of a psychological construct and "bad habit" more of a moral one. Certainly, there is no evidence that sugar or any other foods cause physical addiction. I actually think that people overeat and gain weight for a wide variety of reasons that need different approaches. If defining the relationship to food in a certain way is helpful for individuals then I'd say by all means, call it whatever you want.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:07 PM   #17  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Interesting article, thanks for linking it.

Just to be clear I believe sugar addition and food addiction are real things just as much as I believe that eating disorders are real. They might be psychological only but I'm lacking in knowledge in addiction so I'm the wrong person to get into a detailed discussion with. You do raise some interesting questions though.

My point was only that the documentary is quite sensational and the perfect example is the "Sugar is 8x more addictive than cocaine" which is based on a rodent study which has very limited application to humans.

An even worse study made the headlines a year ago about how Oreos are more addictive than cocaine ... talk about a terrible study. Great headline though!

[EDIT] Spelling

Last edited by JohnP; 10-07-2014 at 07:09 PM.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:53 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Interesting article, thanks for linking it.

Just to be clear I believe sugar addition and food addiction are real things just as much as I believe that eating disorders are real. They might be psychological only but I'm lacking in knowledge in addiction so I'm the wrong person to get into a detailed discussion with. You do raise some interesting questions though.

My point was only that the documentary is quite sensational and the perfect example is the "Sugar is 8x more addictive than cocaine" which is based on a rodent study which has very limited application to humans.

An even worse study made the headlines a year ago about how Oreos are more addictive than cocaine ... talk about a terrible study. Great headline though!

[EDIT] Spelling
Eating disorders are real. They're not just psychological, but the psychology that drives them makes actual changes to your neural pathways. There are many types of eating disorders and they all have one thing in common - you cannot treat them with a diet. You cannot treat them by changing the foods you eat. Because they are compulsive behaviors that actually have nothing to do with food. Eating disorders can go on to cause a range of physical illness from metabolic syndrome to diabetes, even kidney failure but they themselves are disordered behaviors. There are many degrees of eating disorders, some can be very manageable and others you need full blown hospitalization. The one thing I can tell you for sure is that focusing on FOOD and DIET and WEIGHTLOSS can, has, and always will exacerbate the symptoms of an eating disorder.

Last edited by Palestrina; 10-08-2014 at 06:54 AM.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:56 PM   #19  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
Eating disorders are real.
No question. In my post "they" refers to sugar addiction and food addiction in general. Obviously this was not clear.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:22 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
No question. In my post "they" refers to sugar addiction and food addiction in general. Obviously this was not clear.
No that was not clear. I thought you meant that eating disorders are not real and addiction is not real. I know for a fact that eating disorders are real though I'm not so sure about the food addiction part. I don't think there is anything wrong with it being a reality, only that it is not the same kind of addiction as drugs. This article about food addiction makes sense to me which is more or less along the lines of "everything that feels good lights up the pleasure center of your brain!" http://180degreehealth.com/addiction...lth-nutrition/
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote