Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-29-2014, 05:31 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

A juice-based diet would never work for me because I far prefer eating my calories to drinking them (except in the form of wine). I think that's the important question to ask yourself: Do you think you would ENJOY drinking rather than eating your food?

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:16 PM   #17  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

There are meal plans on the website that are for salads and soups, not just juices. It's about the veg but kind of like how many people think Atkins is all about eating bacon and cheese, it's somewhat misunderstood.

You're supposed to transition to a more "regular" diet not just juice for the rest of your life, that's certainly not sustainable. There's nothing quite like making your own juice rather than getting it from a bottle, just like anything homemade.

Somehow or other, to lose weight, you have to restrict your calorie intake, like I've seen JohnP state many times, it's pretty simple math.

I like to throw I a juice/vegan day occasionally just because I find it so much easier to not grab a mindless snack.

Best of luck! It's always an interesting thread when someone brings up juicing

My philosophy is try something and keep what works for you, I use juice
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:32 PM   #18  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 247/161/132

Height: 5'6"

Yes, Kelijpa, it certainly is interesting! Always nice to read different points of view, and always interesting to see how people comment, if you know what I mean
misspixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:23 PM   #19  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by misspixie View Post
Good health starts with good nutrition, and that's why this movie is valuable. More information about getting veggies into place, the better I think? This is what the focus of Joe's second movie is. Anyways, watch it, you'll find it interesting if nothing else. Nothing sensational about this I think.
I think your view of the movie is a bit myopic, it's the very definition of sensationalism. To be specific the movie hypes the benefits of juice fasting but fails to mention lots of relevant details the primary one being that when one replaces the SAD (Standard American Diet) with any diet comprised primarily of whole foods and loses weight they will get all of the same health benefits one would get juice fasting. They hype up juicing and it's benefits but don't tell you the whole story. That is sensationalism.

I'm reminded of watching a Oprah interview where Alicia Silverstone was talking about her new vegan diet and how much better she feels being on it. Her old diet? Primarily donuts and cheeseburgers. So is it the vegan diet that is so wonderful or is it just that she isn't primarily eating crap?

I'll admit I am not an autoimmune disease expert so it could be possible that certain conditions would benefit from juice fasting but for the average joe it's nothing special.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:47 PM   #20  

I thought that the Average American was pretty much taking some kind of prescription medication -- 70 percent take one, 20 percent at least 2 etc. etc. etc. At least, that's according to the Mayo Clinic
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/study-sh...ription-drugs/

Perhaps less prescription medication and more attention to nutrition/micronutrients/weight/things within a person's control would be more helpful than medicating these issues away. It seems to me that the "Average American" would indeed benefit, but I guess one has to consider the overall concept of the movie rather than addressing one specific small issue. That's what I took from Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead -- the personal story of one peson who decided to see if healing from the inside through juicing would work. Especially since fruits and vegetables form only 5 percent of the average daily intake. I wonder if "try juice" would be more effective for many who don't like vegetables (like me) than "learn to eat vegetables" which is probably the silliest advice I've heard in a long time.

I know I'm facing medical challenges -- I wonder why this isn't worth a shot (with the added bonus of weight loss to boot)? I wonder why such measures, short term, with an exit strategy is soundly discounted by those who believe that the only way is moderation? I wonder if an open mind might reap rewards in the future in all areas?

The responses to this proposition are more revealing than the question itself I think.

Last edited by misspixie; 09-29-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:00 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Learn to eat vegetables, why is this silly? I find nothing sillier than a grown woman saying she doesn't like vegetables. There are hundreds of vegetables, I did it hard to believe that someone dislikes all of them. I don't see the logic in guzzling down the juice of vegetables and how that will make anyone like them. I'm also not sure if someone can make up for a lifetime of not eating vegetables. Humans are made to eat vegetables, you can learn to like them. More importantly, you should - like it or not. Vegetables are a necessity. I may not agree that juicing is the best approach but I certainly eat my veg.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:05 PM   #22  

Try it, watch the film, you might like it and understand the point that is being made. Being scolded to do something rarely works, don't you think? After all, scolding the general public to lose weight, eat right and exercise hasn't worked as a general philosophy for the USA, has it?

If this method gets more veggies into more people, why mock it? Honestly. Everyone's background is different and everyone deservse respect and perhaps assistance rather than judgement. Until you walk in someone's shoes, perhaps being less judgey-judgey would be a great life plan.Personally speaking, it's nice to have lost 82 lbs and maintained it for the past 4 years, and yes, it was done without veggies, and as silly as you may think my personal tastes are, I clearly have been more successful than most in this weight loss arena. Most people thrive with encouragement, not with sarcsam, and thankfully I've had true support in my journey. There are many paths to success and health, and not all of them need to be "your way". Sheesh.

Like I said, the responses are far more revealing than the question.

Last edited by misspixie; 09-29-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:19 PM   #23  

I'm not being judgy judgy, I'm stating my own opinion. I'm not being sarcastic, I'm telling you that vegetables are already part of my life, I don't need anyone to enlighten me of their importance. I've pointed out the things that Joe Cross said that sounded like red flags to me but you claim that you can't see the video where he clearly says those things.

I'm glad to hear you've lost weight and kept it off, that's fantastic. That doesn't mean that you're doing something right and I'm doing something wrong. I'm sure we're all quite happy with what we choose to feed ourselves, we are diverse and we're all grown ups. There are different paths for everyone.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:25 AM   #24  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

I've seen this movie and have tried it. I did some research and visited joe's website. He very firmly states on the website that no one should ever juice for as long as he did (I think 60 days?) without close monitoring with their doctor. That this is a reboot that should last 10 days at the most. he also has 5 and two day plans.
I tried this two years ago when I was stuck in the 240's and the scale wouldn't budge. it was so aggravating that I couldn't push past 245 on the scale. I did the 5 day plan. And dropped 6 pounds, putting me just out of the 240's I was happy. I kept my vegetarian diet and juiced one meal a day and the weight kept falling out of the 30's and into the 20's, it was like a jump start.
That being said....I could never do this again. I gained weight back after giving up, quitting my workouts and eating junk after reaching 227. (mental sabotage? )
So as I've been struggling this past year to get back on track I tried the 5 day juicing again. Yet I could never get through more than one day. juicing once a day helped and it got my taste buds back to vegetables and not cheeseburgers. I grew and juiced my own wheat grass during this adventure too. It was hard. mostly because I hate cold food. I like my food to be hot when I eat it, and 5 days of cold fluids just sucked. it was definitely a detox and the idea that I could drop 6 pounds over a long weekend wasn't enough motivation for me to complete it a second time.
But by all means try juicing, it's a great way to get lots of nutrients in one drink. Just remember more veggies than fruit.
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:05 PM   #25  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

Eat more veg in all forms!
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:44 AM   #26  

-5lbs on the weeks. Don't think it's water as I was low-carbing it for 2 consecutive weeks prior to this and was -2 and -2. Going to do my best to continue for another 3 weeks, then transition. I've transitioned successfully from other stringent eating plans so I'm confident. ) The nice thing is that I have more than enough energy for my regular 1 hour swims too

Last edited by misspixie; 10-01-2014 at 02:44 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:09 PM   #27  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by misspixie View Post
-5lbs on the weeks. Don't think it's water as I was low-carbing it for 2 consecutive weeks prior to this and was -2 and -2. Going to do my best to continue for another 3 weeks, then transition. I've transitioned successfully from other stringent eating plans so I'm confident. ) The nice thing is that I have more than enough energy for my regular 1 hour swims too
I had a strong suspicion you had already decided and were looking for opinions to validate your decision.

I'm curious if you don't think your loss is water what do you think it is?
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:30 PM   #28  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
I had a strong suspicion you had already decided and were looking for opinions to validate your decision.

I'm curious if you don't think your loss is water what do you think it is?
In all fairness I don't believe she was looking for permission, I think it was pretty clear from that she was going to do this. Nor is it wrong to seek input from others. The problem lies in the fact that some people are only interested in hearing their own opinions mirrored back at them and anything that doesn't fall in that category is thought of as threatening and malicious and ignorant.

I find nothing wrong with juicing (except that it's not sustainable in the long run, won't keep weight off, is not guaranteed to make you like vegetables and there is that pesky "inevitable food poisoning" that Joe Cross refers to.) But taking risks and making choices is what life is all about. There is no harm in getting a daily shot of vitamins through juicing (food poisoning aside.)
Old 10-01-2014, 04:16 PM   #29  
Warrior Princess

A person can't juice for life so what happens after a person stops juicing? My guess is yo-yo.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:37 PM   #30  

Novangel, there's a pretty good transition plan available. Like I said, I've lost and kept 82lbs off for 4 years now (no yoyo-ing) so I'm pretty confident. Interested to read, though, that there is the assumptio that anyone on this board is seeking "permission" to conduct their own affairs -- lots of projection here and perhaps ego getting in the way of a simple request for input. You see it on Boards such as these often -- self-identified experts make pronouncements and then project their own need for recognition and validation of their particular methods onto others. You see it all the time, and I've been on and off this Board for years. Interested to see that not much has changed and I'm probably better off elsewheres.

Anyways, this is temporary, to reboot my taste buds, up my micronutrients, deal with some medical issues and hopefully lose some poinds in the meantime. I'm excited and thank everyone for their input. Catch y'all on the flip side!

Last edited by misspixie; 10-01-2014 at 05:12 PM.