Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-03-2014, 03:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 294/ticker/240

Height: 6' 4"

Default Libido loss?

Anyone else notice libido loss after you started your routine? What do you think is the cause?

My routine, started in June, is lifting weights at the gym, walking 3 miles a day and eating less. I'm sure it's one of the 3 causing it, I suspect the eating less.

Also those who had libido loss but recovered, when did it go back up? When you hit your target and shifted to weight maintenance, or what?

Thanks.
superfluous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:14 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Mine has been down ever since I started.

It's quite nice really - as a guy - seeing as we tend to think about such things too much anyway!

Initially I put it down to the calorie deficit (which I hear is quite common).

I now put it down to exercise which...ahem...gives me the same buzz even if in a different way. I run 4 miles a day and weight train most days.

So I expect it is your entire lifestyle change.

Don't get me wrong. I definitely feel sexier. I just don't feel the desire to have sex as much. Which is nice, as I said.

Last edited by IanG; 09-03-2014 at 03:17 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

I remember reading that people on a very restricted caloric intake lose just about all their libido. So it makes sense that a moderately restricted caloric intake would also impact libido to a degree. I expect that your libido will go up once you boost your calories to maintenance levels.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 284.1/270/165

Height: 5'10

Ack! I'm so sorry to hear that you're diet and your libido are at odds!

Are you taking birth control pills? That's what killed mine for way too many years...
Athy Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200+/160.8/135

Height: 5'5.5

Ugh this has been my problem as well. Like Ian I feel sexier, but the desire is not there like it used to be. I know for me its the calorie deficit and also when I'm training hard for something it goes down further. When I take maintenance breaks it goes back to normal, so I know its not permanent at least
Dottington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:32 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottington View Post
Ugh this has been my problem as well. Like Ian I feel sexier, but the desire is not there like it used to be. I know for me its the calorie deficit and also when I'm training hard for something it goes down further. When I take maintenance breaks it goes back to normal, so I know its not permanent at least
That's some rockin' bod you have, Dottington!

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:41 PM   #7  
Trying to be in the 160s

Come on guys...not having the urge to make sexy time all the time is frickin' awesome.

Can someone put a positive spin on this....paaaalease.

If the significant other has an issue with it, they'll just have to work a little harder.

Like we did to lose the frickin' weight!

Sorry....got carried away.

Last edited by IanG; 09-03-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:18 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 200+/160.8/135

Height: 5'5.5

freelance-oh wow thanks!

ian-lol! Yes well positive spin.....its great to have so much more free time I can dedicate to sleeping!!! haha
Dottington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:28 AM   #9  

i most definitely lost my libido and ahem... it felt different for a long time, not in a good way. Eventually it leveled out but i think my hormones were also a mess and had to up my thyroid. Things are a bit better now but not the way they were and some of it probably is my advancing age!

No, Ian, not a good thing, LOL
3fcuser291505109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 294/ticker/240

Height: 6' 4"

Hmmm... looks a little grim, huh? I'll just have to see what happens. Maybe it will work out.

When asked about the loss of his libido, Sophocles was said to reply, "Most gladly have I escaped this thing you talk of, as if I had run away from a raging and savage beast of a master."

I guess Ian does have a point for those of us without a reliable outlet ... but those of us with a willing and eager partner, well, I've heard it said that if you don't take care of your partner, they might find someone else who will ...
superfluous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #11  
High Fat/Low Carb=Happy!

Height: 5'9" Age: 50

Super, I seem to recall you're a 45 y/o male, correct? Any chance you're on a relatively new medication that could be affecting this? (BP meds, anti anxiety, anti depressants are all notorious).

Also, have you had a full hormone panel done? Low test causes a whole host of issues. The trick is you need to see your own results. I know someone who had their GP do a hormone panel, low libido, energy loss, etc. Testosterone was in the bottom quartile, but still within normal, which actually is NOT optimal and can make men feel dreadful. The GP wanted to put him on an antidepressant. He took the results to another doctor who said "of course you feel rotten with testosterone in that range".
ReNew Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:00 PM   #12  
Warrior Princess

I thought exercise was supposed to increase libido but not so much. I've never had much of a sexual appetite anyway, I always have too much on my mind or just plain exhausted from dealing with the roller coaster that I call everyday life.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:09 PM   #13  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Interesting! This gives me hope that it will go back up whenever I get to permanent maintenance. I'll have to pay attention next time I take a maintenance break.

I had a low libido the last few years which I attributed to birth contro. Got a new form of bc in December and had a few months where it was back up, but now not so much. So who knows the true cause, but it definitely gives me something to think about.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't find exercise increases desire.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:05 PM   #14  
Trying to be in the 160s

On balance, finishing a run is better than sex.

At least better than the sex I have had.

Probably doing it wrong.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:48 PM   #15  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

Actually, when I'm working out and eating well (even at a deficit), I get friskier. My libido has never really been low, but it does get a boost when I'm in weight loss mode.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote