Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: Start:245 Current:160

Height: 5'5.5

Default Obese yesterday-overweight today-obese tomorrow

I'm so frustrated. I've lost over 60 pounds since I started last spring. I haven't been actively trying to lose weight the whole time. I'd go through a month or two of purposefully losing weight and then time would lapse and I would either lose weight or maintain without trying to. When I'm on I'm on. The last two months I've been walking between 10 and 20 miles every day. Although I've had painful blisters the last week so that put a screeching halt to that until they heal. I religiously will eat no more than 1200 calories. I pay attention to nutrition and if I'm definitely not underestimating the number of calories. That's a good amount for me. I don't feel hungry and with that number I feel like I'm on track.

For the last two weeks I've seen a difference in my body, but my weight won't budge at all. To make it even more frustrating I'm right on the line between obese and overweight which was a huge goal for me. I bounce between 182.5 and 183.5. I'm exactly 5'5.5 so 182.7 is overweight and 183 is obese. A few ounces is the difference between obese and overweight and its driving me bat ****.

I've been out of the game on exercise the last week, but I'm eating perfectly. I should be losing weight, but I'm not. It makes me want to stop eating altogether. To make it worse I have a weight log from years ago when my weight was this high and I did stop eating altogether so I know exactly how much weight I would lose at this weight if I did stop. I won't let it come to that ever again. I'm just frustrated!
Olly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:15 PM   #2  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

It's perfectly understandable that you are frustrated.

It's important though to have faith that the laws of physics aren't being violated in your body. What I mean is that you are losing fat based on your caloric intake your weight isn't reflecting it yet.

There is a big difference between fat loss and weight loss. Fat loss is fairly linear but we can't measure it in the short term. Weight loss is rarely linear.

Stick with the program and get better shoes!
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:41 PM   #3  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Plateau's happen. My body loses weight in swooshes...nothing for 3 weeks, and then *swoosh* I lose 5 lbs. Then nothing...then *swoosh*. Give your body a chance to catch up, it's probably just adjusting.

Also- Kudos to you for your absolute self-control. To exercise at that level and maintain the caloric deficit you are maintaining is amazing.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:22 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
It's important though to have faith that the laws of physics aren't being violated in your body.
Thank you! That is exactly what I needed to hear.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:51 AM   #5  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Wise JohnP is wise. Keep up the awesome work, the scales will eventually reflect all you've done! I can't imagine being stuck in that place between overweight and obese. It would drive me equally insane.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:12 PM   #6  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

You're walking 10 to 20 miles per day, yow, I'd have blisters too! I hope you are putting in that level of effort simply because you LOVE walking!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 85/85/55

Height: 170

Plateau is probably the worst enemy of motivation;-) but it happens to all of us. stay strong and motivated. I am sure everything will change soon! I am also impressed by the distance you walk. I love to walk too, but not as much as you;-) Any ways i wish you good luck, be strong! may the force be with you;-)
Gingerjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:36 PM   #8  

I actually really do love walking. It's kind of meditative for me. I can listen to music and pod casts and be alone. I've been an au pair in France for the last three months so it gives me an opportunity to have some quiet time away from the kiddies. Kids don't listen no matter how strongly you tell them you need some time alone and don't want to play right now.

My blisters are almost healed. They don't hurt, but I don't want to push it and break them all open again. Those evil shoes are in the trash.

I've decided to avoid the scale for a week or so and hopefully I'll have pushed past it. It's too disheartening seeing that number every day, but I'm excited every time I see my body. At this point the number is tainting it.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Measure more things than just the weight - waist, hips, arms, legs, etc., miles walked, speed, pant size - those things will all improve even when the scale stays the same.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:26 PM   #10  

181.7! Holy spaghetti-ohs it finally moved!
Old 07-31-2014, 04:07 PM   #11  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

What happened to avoiding the scale for a week?
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:42 PM   #12  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly View Post
I've been an au pair in France for the last three months
Well, no wonder you walk so much! I'd walk all the time too if I worked in France! Hopefully it's really lovely where you work.

The scale sticks sometimes. It'll happen again, probably a lot. I agree with JohnP - if you're exercising and eating at a deficit, there's NO WAY your body has enough calories to put on more fat or to not burn it for energy. Sometimes your body will retain fluids during fat loss, too, which can make you think you're not losing fat.

I struggle with the scale sometimes too (I think most of us do). Who doesn't love seeing that number shrink? I know I love it. But it's also a number that doesn't measure fat. So, I second what others have said - use a scale as one tool, and use others as well (measurements, how your clothes fit, how you feel, etc.).

We've all been there, and we probably all will be again. You're not alone in this, this isn't abnormal, and the scale will move again. Hang in there - you're doing great so far!
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote