Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-19-2014, 08:40 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 101/ - /58.8 kgs

Height: 1, 58 m

My work is like that: there's always someone bringing cake or baked goods (not healthy ones). Also, we have a monthly reunion in which all professionals are present (+- 80 people) and everybody has to bring a plate or something to drink. People usually bring cake, sugary biscuits, salty snacks, soda, etc. I am trying to start a new tradition and i'll bring iogurt, fruit salad, light vegetable pie, etc. I have a hard time resisting sugary food and i do understand how hard it can be and what eating behaviours a small bite can trigger... I usually tell people i'm not feeling well so i must eat only light food like salads and juices and it works. I do have stomachal and intestinal issues and many times will be sick if i eat certain foods but i wouldn't mention it in the past. I used to tell i didn't want any cake (or whatever they offered) and this would cause people to ask my reasons not to eat, insist that i have at least a small portion, say i was beeing unreasonable not eating certain foods, etc. People will pressure you in many situations if you politely refuse or if you don't eat crappy food... it doesn't happen everywhere but it is a reality in some places.

I have an uncle who has an alcohol adiction and can't drink. To avoid pressure and long embarassing questions he'll say he can't drink due to a medication he is currently taking and people will stop harassing him and asking too many questions. Sometimes it can be easier if you say you CAN'T eat crappy food instead of saying you DON'T WANT it. And when you do eat it, you can say you're in a good day or something. It's a small white lie that works wonders.

Last edited by Marina Brasil; 07-19-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Marina Brasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:54 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 199/189/155

Height: 5'7"

I am in the same situation as you at times. The girls at my office LOVE to make food and bring it in. What helps me is to estimate the calories and figuring in how much that would be. I keep a lot of safe foods at my desk and in the freezer. USUALLY I can resist, but if I have a donut, I don't beat myself up about it
hannahbeanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:20 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 200/138/125

Height: 5'6"

I have found that most people suck at baking, or they bring in grocery store type treats. I'm a hobbyist baker, and most of what I try at work or random places is not up to par. Simply being sweet isn't enough.

Now this doesn't help when it is fall and I've just made a pie and churn a quart of ice cream and they are lurking in my kitchen And I know telling people working on losing weight to cultivate a dessert palate is nuts! But maybe concentrate on how they really aren't sublime, they are just little piles of not so fantastic tasting sugar? If you are going to blow 500 calories on nothing, it should make your eyes roll back in your head.

Feel free to ignore me if you work in a bakery
jeminijad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/150

Height: 5ft3 ish

Lol. Nope not a bakery worker but DH is. And thankfully he doesn't bring his work home with him too often. I've stuck to my goals of calories and managed to avoid all but one time. You are right, tasteless and store bought. But how awful our minds tell us it is so good and the best when after eating it you are like "meh not that great after all". Doing a run tonight and after a horrendous work weekend on call and 10 hrs over time( nurse) I'm ready to get back to my routine. Food and exercise included
cheddahcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:48 AM   #20  

Although I am ashamed of it now, I used to be a food pusher. I was a real bully about it because I was jealous of people who could stare a pie in the face (or cookie or cupcake) and not eat it.

Baked goods have the unearned reputation as being "convenient and easy" when it comes to bringing food into work or school. Which is silly because it is no more effort to bake from scratch than to make cucumber sandwiches. Also no one wants to be the one who brings in the veggie platter that no one eats, and then you have to bring the left overs home.
2salads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:00 AM   #21  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2salads View Post
Also no one wants to be the one who brings in the veggie platter that no one eats, and then you have to bring the left overs home.
I love when someone brings in a veggie platter and "makes" me take it home lol

Quote:
If you are going to blow 500 calories on nothing, it should make your eyes roll back in your head.
jeminijad, I soooooo agree with this!
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:24 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina Brasil View Post
My work is like that: there's always someone bringing cake or baked goods (not healthy ones). Also, we have a monthly reunion in which all professionals are present (+- 80 people) and everybody has to bring a plate or something to drink. People usually bring cake, sugary biscuits, salty snacks, soda, etc. I am trying to start a new tradition and i'll bring iogurt, fruit salad, light vegetable pie, etc. I have a hard time resisting sugary food and i do understand how hard it can be and what eating behaviours a small bite can trigger... I usually tell people i'm not feeling well so i must eat only light food like salads and juices and it works. I do have stomachal and intestinal issues and many times will be sick if i eat certain foods but i wouldn't mention it in the past. I used to tell i didn't want any cake (or whatever they offered) and this would cause people to ask my reasons not to eat, insist that i have at least a small portion, say i was beeing unreasonable not eating certain foods, etc. People will pressure you in many situations if you politely refuse or if you don't eat crappy food... it doesn't happen everywhere but it is a reality in some places.

I have an uncle who has an alcohol adiction and can't drink. To avoid pressure and long embarassing questions he'll say he can't drink due to a medication he is currently taking and people will stop harassing him and asking too many questions. Sometimes it can be easier if you say you CAN'T eat crappy food instead of saying you DON'T WANT it. And when you do eat it, you can say you're in a good day or something. It's a small white lie that works wonders.

The part I bolded above is one of my pet peeves. It has happened to me so many time I was to yell "What part of NO don't you understand?" I don't feel that I own anyone any explanation. I am diabetic. One of the worst offenders is my DIL who knows I'm diabetic and also her father is diabetic. I don't think she would ever pressure her father to eat cake if he refused it. Why does she do it to me?
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #23  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hi Cheddahcat! I replied to one of your first posts way back in late May. Congrats on losing 35 lbs!! and congrats on conquering the Crap Food at work!!
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:12 AM   #24  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Tossing a different side of this.

I work for a veterinarian, and all food donated like at holidays, is stashed in the "lab". Ick. It's where we run blood, fecal, urine samples, look for worms, mange, etc., under the microscope, and so on. It is a small place and the vet is 71, so, he does not think it's a big deal.

I will NOT eat anything that is hanging in that room. It really sucks because that is where our microwave is and it is also the designated, "lunch room"

No one stays for lunch. Except the boss.

If all this stuff is left in a break/lunch room, how many people have touched it? Breathed on it? Sneezed, coughed?

I'm not an anti germ freak, or OCD about where I work, but, if the thought helps you out.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:51 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeminijad View Post
If you are going to blow 500 calories on nothing, it should make your eyes roll back in your head.
This is my new mantra!! love it.
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 101/ - /58.8 kgs

Height: 1, 58 m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
The part I bolded above is one of my pet peeves. It has happened to me so many time I was to yell "What part of NO don't you understand?" I don't feel that I own anyone any explanation. I am diabetic. One of the worst offenders is my DIL who knows I'm diabetic and also her father is diabetic. I don't think she would ever pressure her father to eat cake if he refused it. Why does she do it to me?
It can be many reasons.... My DP who is a really considerate person offers me meat from time to time and i´ve been a vegetarian since i was 14. Sometimes people forget or do it automatically (it sounds absurd, i know!). I guess your DIL pays more atention to her father and may forget about you being diabetic either. Another explanation would be that she wants to annoy you... do you have a good relationship? I sometimes forget people are diabetic and offer then sweets but i won´t pressure anyone to eat anything.

Last edited by Marina Brasil; 07-23-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Marina Brasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:02 AM   #27  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

At my last job, our admin was diabetic. She had also just gotten back to work after months off due to a stroke. She was trying to decrease her sodium and her sweets (but she wasn't very knowledgeable about nutrition so she was having a very hard time). So for her birthday, they ordered pizza and brought cake that they practically forced down her throat. Real thoughtful.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:09 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/150

Height: 5ft3 ish

VermontMom: thanks! Yup m sticking to it.

COOKIE MONSTER CUPCAKES! Cupcakes with 3 inch deep frosting, pinwheels, cupcakes, flapjack bars, cupcakes.!! So I reached for my apple and then my allowed garlic stuffed olives . Yum! Every time I looked at the sweets( 8 times maybe) I told myself that it would be over a meals worth of calorie AND that they were probably dried out and gross by now. Lol not worth it. Hopefully the scale will reward me in the morning
cheddahcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:36 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina Brasil View Post
It can be many reasons.... My DP who is a really considerate person offers me meat from time to time and i´ve been a vegetarian since i was 14. Sometimes people forget or do it automatically (it sounds absurd, i know!). I guess your DIL pays more atention to her father and may forget about you being diabetic either. Another explanation would be that she wants to annoy you... do you have a good relationship? I sometimes forget people are diabetic and offer then sweets but i won´t pressure anyone to eat anything.

I think we have a good relationship.... I guess it's not so much when people offer me sweets, but if I say No Thankyou, don't keep insisting.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:21 AM   #30  

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcirerf View Post
Tossing a different side of this.

I work for a veterinarian, and all food donated like at holidays, is stashed in the "lab". Ick. It's where we run blood, fecal, urine samples, look for worms, mange, etc., under the microscope, and so on. It is a small place and the vet is 71, so, he does not think it's a big deal.

I will NOT eat anything that is hanging in that room. It really sucks because that is where our microwave is and it is also the designated, "lunch room"

No one stays for lunch. Except the boss.

If all this stuff is left in a break/lunch room, how many people have touched it? Breathed on it? Sneezed, coughed?

I'm not an anti germ freak, or OCD about where I work, but, if the thought helps you out.
Eeeeeewwwwwwwwww!
2salads is offline   Reply With Quote