Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-06-2014, 08:22 AM   #16  
Old Cackler

agree with the others - it's working for you, so keep it up! if/when you get a bit bored or you hit a long plateau, you can play with the speeds [doing intervals] and the incline to increase your heart rate and calories burned.

if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:38 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Another walker devotee here! My only form of exercise is walking. Sometimes I walk a *lot* and sometimes not so much. I can lose weight through diet alone but I lose a bit faster when I'm walking a lot. But that's not the primary reason I walk when I have time. I walk primarily for fitness and toning and the faster weight loss is a great side bennie!

I have a treadmill desk and I'm walking on it right now! Since you use a treadmill, that's something you might want to consider, especially if you spend much time browsing the web (btw, I don't own a "real" treadmill desk; it's a normal treadmill that I adapted).

Good luck and enjoy your walks!

Last edited by yoyoma; 07-06-2014 at 08:40 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:44 AM   #18  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Walking definitely is working for me. I have lost 30+ pounds and walking has been a big part of my exercise regime. Just keep doing it.

Last edited by Sum38; 07-06-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:35 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Walking has been my main form of exercise at times and it's worked just fine.

YMMV.

Judging by your ticker, you're doing something right because you're losing weight.

Let those naysayers go pound sand. You got this thing!
Streudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:24 PM   #20  
Warrior Princess

Yes, brisk walking in conjunction with calorie restriction can work. Everyone is different but you may or my not have to ramp things up to get off the last 10-15p.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:00 PM   #21  
is back on the wagon!

S/C/G: 236/197/170

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streudel View Post
Walking has been my main form of exercise at times and it's worked just fine.

YMMV.

Judging by your ticker, you're doing something right because you're losing weight.

Let those naysayers go pound sand. You got this thing!
Thank you and to everyone else who complimented me on my ticker! I have a hard time recognizing my own feats sometimes. I love this forum.
fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:01 PM   #22  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

We're the same height and I was 200 lbs at my heaviest when I was 21. I started out doing the 30 Day Shred, but I really wanted to do more cardio since the majority of the workout was strength work. So I began running! It was difficult, I spent most of my time walking when I first started, but I would try and jog for 1 minute then walk for 4 minutes and repeated it 4 times so I was working out for 20 minutes. The next week I would try jogging for 2 minutes and walking for 3, then the week after jog for 3 minutes and walk for 2 and so on. As the months went by I realised I could run continuously for 20 minutes, it was an incredible feeling! If you like walking and you want to push yourself a little bit, then give it go perhaps.

Walking has certainly done wonders for you so far, congrats! But I think that eventually you will need to do more. You will probably reach a point where you will stop losing weight and you'll stall. Once that happens, I think your body will need something more intense. For now though, do as you do as long as you're seeing results.

Last edited by Riestrella; 07-06-2014 at 11:01 PM.
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:13 AM   #23  
Sailing the Grand Line!

S/C/G: 255/See Sig/130

Height: 5'8"

As many have said, I think it's certainly an inidividual thing. Many people started with "just walking" and moved on to other things; I started the same way and then started adding more and more. It's tough, I've even posted about how I still can't run, haha.

But if what you're doing is working for YOU then don't sweat the small stuff.

Have you considered getting a pedometer? I have a fitbit and I love it! It tracks my steps and my activity level and I can link it to my MyFitnessPal (for free) and it helps keep me active. If you're interested, feel free to PM me about it!
Thousandsunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:29 AM   #24  

Height: 6-1.5

In addition, you are carrying a good 70 or 80 pounds on your body in the form of adopose tissue. You have to count that when judging how fast or far you can go. I feel that walking is great exersise. I cannot run because I have a problem leg that will never get better. Yoga is also amazing because you have to pick up your body weight. As you lose weight, you willbe more capeable of doing more like going to 4.5 with an incline.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #25  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

I think walking is great! Think of all of the good things it does for you - strengthens your heart and your bones and makes you healthier! Why not do it? I've gotten to the point where running is too hard on my joints so I do the elliptical or walk at a fast pace for cardio. As you get better at it, you'll be able to turn up the intensity. You might surprise yourself now - try adding in a couple of short 30 second intervals of a faster walking pace or an incline.

And yeah, it burns calories to help with what you're doing on the nutrition side, so it will help with weight loss. Is it something that will burn a million calories for you? No. Could you walk on a treadmill for half an hour, eat an extra banana and be right back where you started. Yes. BUT - with all of the benefits above - AND - you are building your cardiovascular ability so that as you lose, you'll be able to do more strenuous exercise. As others have said, as you lose, you have to reduce calories and/or add in exercise to continue to see results (depending on where your calories are now). So, it's convenient that walking is "enough" for now AND sets you up so that you can get to the next level later.
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:58 AM   #26  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

I've lost 14 pounds by walking and being on a 1200 Calorie diet, Walking is the only type of exercise I do, When the weather is bad or it becomes winter again I have a Walk Away The Pounds DVD I'll work out too.

Last edited by Terra1984; 07-07-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:45 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 294/ticker/240

Height: 6' 4"

From what I read, walking burns about 75-100 calories a mile. Assuming 75 calories, walking 2 miles a day (all else being equal) would burn about a pound every three weeks. It's not much, so I wouldn't rely on it as the only thing, but from my perspective, it all adds up.

I am trying to encourage myself by saying that it's OK if my weight loss is slow but steady.
superfluous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:34 PM   #28  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I limit food to lose weight.

I exercise to improve my mobility. I don't expect walking, swimming, or gardening to "burn calories" enough to add to the weight loss much. But I feel SO much better when I exercise fairly regularly.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:41 PM   #29  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

It also depends how fast you walk. -- I burn mega calories because I walk fast. Outdoors on a hilly terrain I maintain 4.2-4.3 MPH speed for 5 miles; on treadmill I maintain 4.7-4.8 MPH speed for another 5 miles.

I am drenched with sweat when I am done. I also get my heart-rate to 160-170bpm and keep it there during the duration of my workout.

I always lose weight after my treadmill torture.
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:36 PM   #30  
is back on the wagon!

S/C/G: 236/197/170

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBreeze2010 View Post
Could you walk on a treadmill for half an hour, eat an extra banana and be right back where you started. Yes.
Don't make me more paranoid than I already am! Now I won't go near a banana for a year.
fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote