Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-28-2014, 11:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 108/105.8/60 kgs

Height: 5 foot 6

Default Exhaustion and apathy

As far as dieting goes, I'm doing well. Due to avoiding sugars and increasing protein, my hunger signals have decreased dramatically. I'm eating about 1400 calories most days, and have lost 6.4 kg in about 5 weeks.

However, I'm starting to get very apathetic about exercise. I haven't walked in quite a while, my house is a mess, and I'm unmotivated to do anything. It's as if I have no energy.

Does anyone have advice on how to increase my energy levels so I can get things done?
sonickel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW194/CW144/GW140

Height: 5.10

Put on your favorite music and crank it up. This always helps me with house work. Plus, i'm hoping the occasional dance move burns some calories.
hiddenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:08 AM   #3  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Start doing it.

Once you start you will keep going. Thus isn't an energy issue it's a motivation issue. If your life depended on it you would go on a walk.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:09 AM   #4  

I completely understand where you are coming from! It happens to me ALL THE TIME! A lot of it is boredom and tediousness. I can't walk down the same street every day. I know every tree, rock, steam on my street. LOL

Anyway, sometimes only one of these works. Sometimes it's a combination. Sometimes nothing works (which is what I have medication for depression for.)

1)Drink water. The more water I drink the more energy I have, especially in the summer.

2)Stay clean. Not saying you don't have hygiene or anything like that but, seriously, take a shower. Summer makes me feel scuzzy from sweating (I hate sweat) If I keep myself clean it helps me keep the house clean. A cool shower on a hot summer day is especially invigorating.

3)Talk on the phone. Work on the home while talking. (I suppose this would work with exercise as well)

4)Work on something you really like to do. A hobby. Sometimes the inertia can carry you through less pleasant tasks.

5)Some people like to crank the music. I, personally, use walking time or housework time for quiet meditation. I get distracted by all the noise around the house (music, the kids, TV, construction work outside etc etc) It overwhelms my brain. I get more done in the quiet. sometimes if I lay in the quiet for long enough I get bored enough to do something! LOL

6)Get the grunt work done early. If laundry is your demon tackle it first thing. Then it's not weighing on you the whole day. (Not my idea, read it somewhere)

7)If you are religious it is helpful to pray. I always feel better after venting to God and asking for His help.

Last edited by 2salads; 06-29-2014 at 10:10 AM.
2salads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:24 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Regardless of my Avatar, I am not an exercise enthusiast. I have to MAKE myself do it. I would rather be sitting at the computer or in my recliner. Since I watch soap operas every afternoon, I make that my exercise time. I'm going to be watching The Young and the Restless anyway, so why not exercise while I do it. I have my treadmill and elliptical set up in my game room in front of a television. I get so engrossed in the show that I lose track of time and forget that I'm exercising. I realize that not everyone has the ability to have that type of set-up.

Also, on days that I really don't want to exercise, I tell myself I will do it for 15 minutes. Anyone can do it for 15 min, and once I get started, most times I want to keep going once the time is up. Getting off the chair is the hardest part.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:35 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Have you ever been diagnosed with depression? Because what you're describing sounds like all the things that happen to me when I start to fall into a depressive cycle.

Aside from talking to your doctor, I would suggest talking yourself into babysteps. Tell yourself you're just going to do 5 minutes of walking, out to the mailbox and back maybe. Or you're just going to tidy one little corner of your house. When I do this, I almost always do more than I plan on. Then give yourself lots of positive feedback for anything you accomplish.

Good luck!
Streudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 85/85/55

Height: 170

Apathy was my second name;-) So i understand you well! But i have to say that only long walks saved me! You need to find some hoby for yourself. It will help you to overcome apathy. Read a book or at least find some motivating and funny movie.
Gingerjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 108/105.8/60 kgs

Height: 5 foot 6

thanks everyone
Yes I have a 20 year history of depression, hopefully it won't make a full comeback this year.
At least it isn't the diet.
sonickel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:20 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Sometimes the getting things done is what raises the energy. Just get up, move your hands and feet to clean a little, have some water. And go as long as you can. Repeat. Moving will give you energy. Having beautiful surroundings that look nice will give you energy. Accomplishing tasks will give you energy.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:51 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Put on your sneakers. I put mine on first thing in the morning when I wake up, dress in my workout gear and put on my sneakers. I usually exercise a couple of hours later but I'm ready! If I decide not to exercise I feel like a mighty fool taking off my sneaks! Lame!!

I also combine exercise with shopping. I have no choice but to go shopping at the grocery store so I head out an hour early and exercise until its time to go shop. Combine exercise with an errand.

Sign up for a class that meets 2-3 times per week, maybe sign up with a friend. The accountability of the schedule and having paid for it is motivating.

If you have time for exercise and you don't do it you'll have wasted so much time, you will regret it one day I'm certain. Think of all those times in the past when you could've been out walking and you were inside sitting on your butt watching tv. Doesn't that make you feel something?
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:26 AM   #11  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

What really helps me with energy is taking a B complex vitamin.
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:41 AM   #12  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Start doing it.

Once you start you will keep going. Thus isn't an energy issue it's a motivation issue. If your life depended on it you would go on a walk.
I have to agree.

I have a history of seasonal depression, and I know it just feels so much easier to sit on the couch. But the reality is that forcing yourself to get up and just do it will make you feel loads better and help to improve your mood. Exercise is an amazing medicine.

Like Wannabeskinny said, start by just putting your sneakers on! When I get home from work, on days I intend to go to the gym, I immediately change into my gym clothes. It's pretty difficult to sit around in my gym clothes without feeling guilty

You could also try scheduling your workouts in advance and having a friend or family member, or even someone on the board, help to hold you accountable. Maybe you should participate in an exercise challenge for July? If you're able to hit your exercise goals, I would bet that your ability to get things done around the house will increase as well.

Good luck. I hope you're able to find your energy! But if you're still struggling, maybe it's time to revisit your diet (if your energy levels truly are low) or speak with a doctor about your moods.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:42 AM   #13  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

It could be depression, but it could be that you're just not eating enough or enough of the right kinds of foods. I like to have high fiber foods with healthy fats and protein. Maybe you can have 1600 calories and see if that helps. Great job on the weight loss!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:43 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Forgot to say, the ritual of putting your shoes on is powerful. Think about how you get dressed for an event. The moment you put on your fancy heels you are transformed into a "going out" creature. Same with sneakers or whatever shoe you put on. It psychologically puts you in the mindset of the activity you intend to do.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:24 AM   #15  

S/C/G: see ticker

I agree, you just have to make yourself do it. I personally find changing out of my work clothes into exercise shoes a huge PITA and not part of a ritual, but you do what you have to do. I hate that my dogs hassle me when I am trying to strap into a sports bra or stick their noses in the way when I am trying to tie my shoes.

And I found that once I did make myself exercise a few times, it became easier to get motivated and keep doing it. A good vicious-cycle, if you will. Now I find that if I go more than about 3 days without exerting myself, I start to feel yucky.

Exercise should be something you like to do, too. Sometimes, I just blast some music and dance like a foolish maniac for 30 minutes, or I'll grab a hula hoop and a jump rope and have at it. I love to play catch with a softball with my husband, too. I don't only do one activity.

If you really do not want to exercise, you can still lose weight without it, but my personal experience with that is it is much slower and I have to be much more strict about how many calories I eat. Exercise gives me an extra 200 - 300 calories to play with each day, so for me it is totally worth it.
BettyBooty is offline   Reply With Quote