Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-25-2014, 02:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/221.1/150

Height: 5'3

Default Weight loss and sleep

Somewhere while browsing threads someone mentioned the need for more sleep and someone else said that was normal. Is it normal?

Now, I know I have sleep issues. I have untreated sleep apnea. (I'm working on it. Go to the sleep doc in August.)

I also work for the schools so I'm off for the summer and with less to do it's hard to keep myself on a normal schedule. But even though I know I got over 8 hours of sleep, I want to take a nap.

And I'm going to. Not going to to deny myself what my body seems to need/want. But I am curious if dieting has anything to do with my increased need to sleep.
Seana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 85/85/55

Height: 170

I just know that if you are healthy and have enough of vitamins, minerals, etc, you won't need a nap! You will be feeling very active and 8-10 hours for sleep will be more than enough for you to get good rest. If you are always sleepy, something is wrong and you need to check your health and maybe change a diet
Gingerjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:15 AM   #3  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

When you sleep, you go through cycles. If you attempt to wake up during the part of the cycle when you are in deep sleep, you will feel disoriented and groggy and often find it difficult to shake the feeling of sleepiness. Generally sleep cycles are 90 minutes long (though it varies slightly on an individual basis) so try setting a wake-up time that’s a multiple of 90 minutes (like 7 1/2 or 9 hours instead of 8 hours).
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:46 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seana View Post
Somewhere while browsing threads someone mentioned the need for more sleep and someone else said that was normal. Is it normal? .
I believe it is. When you eat at a caloric deficit, your body seeks to conserve energy. One of the ways is through increased need for sleep.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:38 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerjv View Post
I just know that if you are healthy and have enough of vitamins, minerals, etc, you won't need a nap! You will be feeling very active and 8-10 hours for sleep will be more than enough for you to get good rest. If you are always sleepy, something is wrong and you need to check your health and maybe change a diet
Completely not true. There is nothing wrong with naps, we are the only animals that avoid napping. Well, not all of us, mostly Americans. People in other countries have a deeper respect and culture if napping. I nap in the summer months - it's a lot of hot daylight and being outside in the sun depletes a lot of energy. There is nothing wrong with me. My child naps everyday if the year. My husband naps frequently. Whole cities shut down for siesta in Europe. Vitamins and minerals have nothing to do with this.

OP, sleep is the most important thing out body needs, it's right up there with water and food. Even on an summer schedule it's important to keep a steady schedule and try to get at the very least 6hrs of uninterrupted sleep, 8 ideally.

I know that on days that I get less than 6hrs sleep I overeat, big time. Without fail my body asks for more fuel.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:40 PM   #6  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

When I was heavier (at your weight) I would nap a lot too because I was physically tired from carrying all of the weight around.

I generally only sleep at night now (I do still nap after a long run though!). And I can sleep less (typically 6-7 hours a night to wake up early to work out). I feel far more energized and you will too.

I had a sleep study done and they found no apnea when I was heavier. I dodged that bullet.

Last edited by IanG; 06-26-2014 at 04:42 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:21 PM   #7  
Captain Prescriptivism

S/C/G: 235/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Whenever I diet I feel increased need to sleep. If it helps, that's usually when I end up losing weight, though. I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with it.
ImpalaHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:35 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 250/221.1/150

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattience View Post

I suspect this is all about the sleep apnoea and you really need that extra sleep. Its a shame you have to wait so long before seeing someone. Are you doing a clinic?
I will go to a sleep doctor. I was diagnosed about 7 years ago and tried a cpap. I really struggled to wear one, but usually took it off in the middle of the night and then eventually just gave up.

But I made an appointment to be considered for wls. While making the appointment they talked about possibly needing a sleep study. I went ahead and planned ahead and scheduled myself, but I'm considered a new patient because it's been so long.

I notice I feel congested at night which is part of why I take the mask off. So I went to the allergist this week. Turns out my allergies are really high. I told my allergist that I my concern was congestion at night, so we have a treatment plan to work on that. I think it's probably just as well that I do it this way. Give me time for my allergy meds to work (I'm also going to start getting allergy shots to improve my allergy response.)

But I also notice that I am a bit depressed right now, so perhaps that's another reason I want to sleep. The nice thing is I'm on summer vacation so I can sleep as much as I want.

Last edited by Seana; 06-26-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Seana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:54 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/150

Height: 5ft3 ish

Speaking from personal experience ..... Being american , I know that we DO NOT nap unless sick, injured very young or vey old. BUT my husband is British ( we all live in uk) and from the beginning of our relationship it baffled me as to why a grown man would need a nap. Even if gettin 7-9 hours of sleep. He is not over weight and he exercises a few days a week. But now (8 yrs later) I understand. A nap is very good for you. It doesn't mean you are missing vitamins , nutrients sick or old. It's a good way to recharge the mind and body
cheddahcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:53 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 200+/168/130

Height: 5'2''

Missing out on naps is the worst part of the NA culture. Naps are awesome.

I need a solid 8-9 hours of sleep or else I am a grumpy, over-eating, shadow of my self.

I have two kids, a 3 year old and a 10 month old, sleep is precious. So we all nap together in the afternoon, if I didn't I would eat my way through the fridge and be a very grumpy woman.

My husband who doesn't need as much sleep (5-6 hours a night), is very active, and very healthy, has no qualms with laying down for a nap when he feels the need.

We need a nap revolution!
CanadianMomma is offline   Reply With Quote