Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/150

Height: 5ft3 ish

Default Menopause...... Damn you!!!!!

Ok here's the deal. (Hopefully not tmi but maybe someone with similar issues as me) I'm 43 yrs now. At 31 I had a benign ovarian tumor. Long story short, both overies removed and BAM ovarian failure by surgery induced. thankfully I had a very active 3 yr old boy and was blessed with a child. No HRT ( hormone therapy) for me for a few years. But I eventually went on and then off a few rush after that. ( reasons of breast cancer scare) but now many years later I've developed similar side effects with , let's say womanly issues. So on with HRT in a cream form. I've had hot flashes for over a decade now. So tell me. Has anyone had issues with weight loss after years of menopause? Do you find it more difficult or no notice at all. Yup, I've dieted many times in the past but not with as much discipline as I am doing now. And has anyone started menopause at an early age as myself. I know this isn't a menopause site but hope me asking is ok. Thanks in advance !
cheddahcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/142/130

certain food trigger my hot flash such as ver spicy food and coffee so I try to avoid them at night. Loosing weight is harder for the simple fact that because your reproductive system is not active you need less calories.
Michou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:18 PM   #3  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

My mom actually remarked that losing weight after menopause was, in some ways, easier than during her reproductive years. While her overall rate is slower, she has many less cravings and scale bounces associated with the cyclical nature of sex hormones in women. She can also use intermittent fasting much more comfortably than when she was younger. As long as her calories are low enough and her starch and sugar content is very controlled (she doesn't handle cravings well so keeping them at bay is the best idea) losing weight has gone very smoothly for her. She could lose it faster when she was younger, sure, but keeping it off was much more challenging for her than it has been now.

I'm still reproducing, so my battle is with constant hormonal gains with birth and nursing - part of me would love some stability there, but oh well
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 229/172/150

Height: 5'5"

I am 42 and I have started getting menopause-like symptoms. That is, I skip my period for a month and the next month, I get it so fast, ie, within 10 or 15 days. This just started very recently. And to top it all, I bleed slightly following vigorous exercise every time. I'm not sure if this is a menopause symptom but surely related to the same hormones that controls menopause! My sister is 44 and she has also been going through heavy menopause-like symptoms. She bleeded so heavily that she needed hormone therapy from the doctor and after some months, she is now off of the hormones... We all bet that she is going to have menopause in an year or so from now at the utmost.
BigNomore71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:03 PM   #5  
LRH

S/C/G: 152/132/127

Height: 5'5"

I'm 54 and in it. Losing weight fine. Very happy not to have the frustrating water retention so often. Something to cheer about!
LRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:40 PM   #6  
maintaining since 9/2013

I'm about 7 yrs postmenopause (wow time flies!) Once I found a plan I could stick to, I lost weight at the same rate or faster than in previous yrs. My plan was Ideal Protein: low cal, lo carb, low fat. I find weight management to be easier because my cravings are no longer driven by hormonal flux. My moods are a little more evened out and that helps everything.

Last edited by mars735; 06-02-2014 at 11:40 PM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote