Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-03-2014, 02:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Weight distribution as we age

Has anyone noticed their weight distributes differently as you age? In sure part of it is child bearing as well. Although I've weighed this number before I think it looks differently on me now. It's settled in my belly, chest and neck more lol. I kinda hate it.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:05 PM   #2  
On my way to -70

S/C/G: 202/192/132lbs

Height: 5'4''

I'm looking for how my new weight is looking on this body of mine. Last time I was this weight (174) I was in the middle of a pregnancy so I have no idea what I would have looked like with this weight sans baby back in the day. But I do notice, for example, that my cheeks are a little saggier because my skin is losing its tone as it ages, and that my hips are obviously wider because of the babies, so I have more of an hourglass shape than I used to.
Paulitens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #3  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Definitely more in the midsection.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #4  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Yes, belly area and neck as you mentioned. I never had fat neck before.
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:18 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 272/192/140

Height: 5'7"

I am 59 and post menopausal. I look like a thin person who swallowed a pumpkin. Nothing is working to get rid of this belly!

Last edited by thinin08; 05-03-2014 at 04:18 PM. Reason: mispelling
thinin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:29 PM   #6  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I'm pretty sure I gradually got big all over when I was younger, given how I never used to be able to wear, say, watches, smaller necklaces, normal-sized rings, etc. throughout junior high and beyond because my wrists, fingers, and neck were simply too big. I got my class ring when I was only 14 but weighed 250 pounds, and it was a size 10! When I was in the 250-range 2 years ago, I was wearing a size 8 on the same finger.

I now have what I'd consider "normal" sized fingers, wrists, and neck now that I've lost weight, but I still have a 44" inch stomach. I'm quite sure I was never this out of proportion before! My ring size is currently a 6 1/2, the smallest it's been in memory.

I'm now a marshmallow on toothpicks. I'd wager that my stomach is literally 2-3 clothes sizes bigger than the rest of my body.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:50 PM   #7  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Since becoming post menopausal (I'm 50) my weight has definitely settled in the belly area. My stomach seems so round and bloaty even though I'm the same weight as before menopause.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:02 PM   #8  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

They tell us it settles on the stomach and upper body with age. And of course with more sag, its bound to look more fatty.

I'm astonished at how thin my father's legs have become with age but he's now in his later 70s. Our family are not apple shaped. The good thing about this means that my legs can get thinner too probably although i might have to wait a while.

They also said/say that we middle-aged ladies benefit from core body work.

The other thing i've been thinking lately is that probably 60kg/130pounds might be too thin for me now at this age. I think i look all right now though i wouldn't in a bikini or short shorts, but maybe i don't need to wear such things anymore. The main worry is my face. It will sag a lot. Anyway i haven't decided yet but i need to be open to raising my goal weight i think.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:15 PM   #9  

Yes!! I was telling DH about this the other day. When I was in my teens and early 20s, I was VERY pear shaped, to the point that I HATED it. Tiny waist, and HUGE hips and thighs...flat butt though, of course lol... I had that gap in the back of all my pants because my waist was so much smaller in relation to my hips.

I noticed after my 1st baby, that my middle was a little thicker, which I liked because I felt more proportionate. Then after baby #2 I was happy. Thicker around the waist, so I was balanced, it was nice.

Yeah now I'm like whoa there waist...Its down right roley poley now. Big belly, with a muffin top if I don't wear the right fit of pants. And my upper arms which were always skinny (I'm telling you, I carried my extra 30 pounds in my hips and thighs) Well upper arms are now thick and a bit flappy!

I'm approach my mid 30s so I guess its expected. Though I will say that I've done a lot of reading of the hormonal effects of weight distribution and it seems that low progesterone (which I know I have via the doc) can cause this. Progesterone naturally declines as we age especially near menopause. It seems that it might be possible to sway that weight distribution back to hips and thighs by increasing progesterone. I'll let you all know if it works. But either way, I imagine weight loss it the best way. :P
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:19 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 229/172/150

Height: 5'5"

Yes, my upper body has definitely lost its 'youthful form' with age and with the birth of 2 children - and the worst is that even my face has changed a lot - I don't know how my face would look when I reach my goal weight, but right now, my somewhat broad nose looks even more broader with all the weight and my cheeks are extra-chubby that I really look my age! (42). It seems like all my weight has settled down in my upper body/core/upper arms/breasts and face.
BigNomore71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:24 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I have experienced the same thing. I'm glad to have a bit more bust, but the extra bulge in the tummy and neck are not welcome.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:51 PM   #12  
Piggies obsessed

S/C/G: 300/275/140

That explains a lot for me. I didn't know that so many other people had the same problem.
VioletDolphin83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:48 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
Has anyone noticed their weight distributes differently as you age? In sure part of it is child bearing as well. Although I've weighed this number before I think it looks differently on me now. It's settled in my belly, chest and neck more lol. I kinda hate it.
I think the tendency to carry weight differently as we age is genetic: some people have it, others don't. My own weight is distributed the same way it was when I was a teenager.

I've noticed similar patterns with ears and noses: Some people's ears and noses continue to grow in adulthood, while others don't at all.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:17 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 212.6/144.2/121

My weight gain was all in my stomach, for a little while and then it went other places. It was to the extent I thought I must have a tumor. I mean....what happened.

The good news is that I am finally losing it. I still have a ways to go, but I can finally see that it will go away.

Some people have commented on how much different my face looks, yet I have gone from an 18/20 to a 12/14 so I can document it is the rest of me also. (and I am not all wrinkled in the face yet - I am sure I will be in another 10 years)
buddha belly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:26 AM   #15  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha belly View Post

Some people have commented on how much different my face looks, yet I have gone from an 18/20 to a 12/14 so I can document it is the rest of me also. (and I am not all wrinkled in the face yet - I am sure I will be in another 10 years)
I was shocked to see how many wrinkles I have now. I have lost 30 pounds and I think it is really showing on my face. -- My face/neck was really fat as I gain there first. Now I have wrinkly eyes, wrinkly neck, wrinkly mouth area and I think the face overall sags a bit. What happens to my face after another 20 pounds is gone, will I look like a horror show?

I was shocked to a point that I was seriously considering fillers and botox.... which in turn scare me to death. -- So maybe I just need to accept my wrinkles and age gracefully -- I did buy a series of facials, though.
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote