Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-01-2014, 10:11 PM   #16  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I agree that some guesses are likelier than others, but I'm not sure stress water-retention would be my first guess to explain "never" (or at least never in the last three years) experiencing a whoosh. Odds are that sometimes in those three years Berry would have had a low-stress week in there somewhere that would have therefore resulted in a woosh
I was only talking about this time around. Also I think you have misread she didn't say she never had a whoosh she said she never got the big one at the beginning that many dieters experience.

The rest of your points are good, as usual.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:12 PM   #17  
Nuttin to it but to do it

S/C/G: 270/ticker/155

Height: 5' 6''

Thank you, kaplods, for writing out most of what I was thinking while reading this thread. I can relate to most of those points.
KarinRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:35 PM   #18  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735 View Post
Maybe herein lies part of the answer? "... Then I made the cake..Super fun to make and it was soooo yummy. So much for the calorie count today, but at least it was GOOD!" It's easy to forget small deviations and they can exact a toll, especially on a low carb diet. Been there done that.
Yes, but on that day I didn't eat dinner. I ate brunch of eggs, bacon and sausage and that piece of cake at 2 pm. Nothing more the rest of the day. My net carbs were higher that day, but my calorie count was 1580 and i was estimating on the high side, Net carbs were 66.

And that was a few days ago and I actually saw a loss on the scale next day. I'm talking about that first week or two whoosh that new dieters experience.

I have been upfront about the week where I had Easter, my son's birthday and the baby shower. In that week I saw little losses as I was closer to maintenance on three days of that week, but that was all still week three of starting and well past the point you typically see a big water weight whoosh. And none of those days were over maintenance calories either. And, despite eating carbs those three days, I didn't see a water gain or whoosh from those days either.... Just holding steady.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:37 PM   #19  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
I was only talking about this time around. Also I think you have misread she didn't say she never had a whoosh she said she never got the big one at the beginning that many dieters experience.

The rest of your points are good, as usual.
Yes, this is true. I will get mini whooshes here and there, but never that, "I just started a diet a week ago and I lost 5-10 pounds the first week!

Heck, this time I gained two pounds the first two days of going low carb!!! (But also first two days of starting new meds for BP and thyroid).

And yes... There has been stress... Definitely. That is easing up, but in the beginning - lots of stress.

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 05-01-2014 at 10:38 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:40 PM   #20  
Melissa

Kalods - those are all possibilities, of course. We simply can't know... And I'm not going to stop what I'm doing to test individual variables to see which it is!

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 05-01-2014 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:48 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

The more we diet and the more we yo yo up and down on the scale affects our metabolism. Every time we get back into a diet it gets harder and harder to lose weight and every subsequent diet lasts a shorter duration of time.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:59 AM   #22  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
The more we diet and the more we yo yo up and down on the scale affects our metabolism. Every time we get back into a diet it gets harder and harder to lose weight and every subsequent diet lasts a shorter duration of time.
I don't think that is true in general. I have tried 3 other times in my 44 years to lose weight. Once in college when I was 20. And I did a stupid crash diet. Then again with Weight Watchers and lost 50 pounds when I was 27. Then again with my "own" diet of lower carb and watching calories (but not really restricting them - I ate more when I was hungry, less when I wasn't hungry) when I was 41 and I lost 90 pounds. Those two "good" diets I lost at very, very similar rates.

I'm only one month in this time and I actually did lose more this first month that I did the last first month 3 years ago (8.6 pounds versus 6.8 pounds). And both times I'm doing lower carbs, watching calories and exercising. And both times I started with walking. This time I am MUCH less out of shape, so I can start at a higher level than before, but still out of shape compared to where I was.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:52 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

A beginners whoosh is for beginners only. And associated with something very drastic.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:09 PM   #24  
Melissa

Quote:
A beginners whoosh is for beginners only. And associated with something very drastic.
Exactly...

I went from eating VERY high carb (read oreos, kettle popcorn, ritz crackers, etc totally out of control) with eating about 3000 PLUS calories a day to overnight dropping down to 20-50 net carbs and around 1200 calories (I only started counting after a few days to see how much I was eating, not that I was trying to limit that low)

THat is pretty darn drastic... and that first week I did lose the largest amount of weight, but I went from 241.6, and ended the first week with NO slip-ups, no day over 50 grams of carbs and averaging 1200 calories a day.

I did lose 4 pounds that first week. So yes, there was a TINY whoosh, but as extreme as I switched things up OVERNIGHT... I would think for sure 2 pounds were true weight loss and then 2 pounds of water. Not overly dramatic.

Then for the rest of the month I lost another 4.6 pounds total after the first week. One week in there mainly being at maintenance.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:23 PM   #25  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
Kalods - those are all possibilities, of course. We simply can't know... And I'm not going to stop what I'm doing to test individual variables to see which it is!

That's really my point. My list was only the tip of the iceberg of possibilities, so trying to force a whoosh that may never come isn't very practical.

I used to experience beginner's whooshes, but it's been decades since I had a beginner's whoosh except when swithcing from very high to very low carb (which I don't consider a true whoosh because I know it's just water weight that will reappear as soon as I eat a little more carbs).

Since age 5, I've been on thousands of diets. I think that has contributed to my loss of beginner whooshing, but it took dozens, if not hundreds of attempts for the metabolic slow down to become noticeable. Yoyo dieting, in my experience erodes metabolism, but slowly, like rain erodes a mountain.

The good news (for nonwhooshers) is that there's absolutely no evidence that people who experience whooshing (beginner's or otherwise) lose weight any faster in the long run.

The only advantage to beginning whooshing is in that initial 1-2 week whoosh - then you're just like nonwhooshers.

Whooshing is highly overrated.

Last edited by kaplods; 05-02-2014 at 11:56 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:47 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

I NEVER have either berryblondboys.. I was an athlete in HS & college, but always carried 135-145 on my then 5'6 frame and I swam thousands of yards every day. LIKE everything else, it will boil down to genetics. My dad is 6'2 wears size 15 shoes is 84 and take no meds but Synthroid, he has always weighed between 240-260 lbs. He was a NY State Trooper, has no joint troubles or surgeries. He (his whole family, 9 kids) has good genes. I just want to be in the Normal range, I don't care if it is the "high" end. I am 56 healthy, only take Synthroid, most people my age (including thinner) are on either BP or Cholestrol or both meds. GENETICs... I have had both shoulders operated on, my neck ( broke it and my back) and recently had my left knee cleaned up. Both knees need partial replacements. I was hard on my joints, swimming, soccer, basketball, running, STEP, swimming, hiking, skiing, etc. I always thought I was being "Healthy", didn't do drugs, drink & ate healthy, NEVER was 'skinny"

Last edited by Bellamack; 05-02-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:26 PM   #27  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Depending on how you want to define "beginners whoosh" this could be true but most people will automatically lose weight when they start a low carb diet due to less food being ingested and glycogen stores being reduced. Beginner or no.

Quote:
The more we diet and the more we yo yo up and down on the scale affects our metabolism.
This is not supported by any research I have seen. Considering BMR is what your body is doing to support life I question your assertion.

What I have seen is research that supports any person who has lost a significant amount of weight burns fewer calories than expected but BMR is only a small portion. The majority is NEAT and SPA which is another way of saying people move less. Which came first? The lower amount of NEAT and SPA which helped contribute to the weight gain in the first place or did losing the weight cause it. At this point we don't know. The solution in either case is regular exercise and building a habit of not being sedentary throughout the day.

What we do know is that when people are restricting calories their BMR slows down a bit and when they stop dieting it speeds up.

The only reason I'm typing out this long winded explaination is I would hate for someone who has yoyo dieted their entire life to read what you wrote and then just say F it because I have ruined my metabolism. I've yet to see any evidence that yoyo dieting slows down BMR permanently by any significant margin.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:37 PM   #28  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Quote:
The only reason I'm typing out this long winded explaination is I would hate for someone who has yoyo dieted their entire life to read what you wrote and then just say F it because I have ruined my metabolism. I've yet to see any evidence that yoyo dieting slows down BMR permanently by any significant margin.
My only experience is with myself, and I lose weight now, at 46 and after years of yo-yoing, at the same pretty quick rate as I have throughout my entire life. My metabolism seems to be about the same as it always has been (which has always felt crappy to me, but I think that's just because I *wished* it would somehow enable me to eat like a 16 year old boy!).

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 05-02-2014 at 06:38 PM. Reason: baaaaad typing
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:23 PM   #29  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Snark View Post
My only experience is with myself, and I lose weight now, at 46 and after years of yo-yoing, at the same pretty quick rate as I have throughout my entire life. My metabolism seems to be about the same as it always has been (which has always felt crappy to me, but I think that's just because I *wished* it would somehow enable me to eat like a 16 year old boy!).
This would be me, with 15 yrs added on.

Quote:
Depending on how you want to define "beginners whoosh" this could be true but most people will automatically lose weight when they start a low carb diet due to less food being ingested and glycogen stores being reduced. Beginner or no.

This is not supported by any research I have seen. Considering BMR is what your body is doing to support life I question your assertion.

What I have seen is research that supports any person who has lost a significant amount of weight burns fewer calories than expected but BMR is only a small portion. The majority is NEAT and SPA which is another way of saying people move less. Which came first? The lower amount of NEAT and SPA which helped contribute to the weight gain in the first place or did losing the weight cause it. At this point we don't know. The solution in either case is regular exercise and building a habit of not being sedentary throughout the day.

What we do know is that when people are restricting calories their BMR slows down a bit and when they stop dieting it speeds up.

Thank-you.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:06 PM   #30  
Melissa

Quote:

Yes.... Thank you.