Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-29-2014, 12:48 PM   #1  

Height: 5'0"

Default This diet hack has reduced my overall calorie intake by 30%

Give or take. I'm just estimating.

I've added bone broth (homemade) into my diet. Google it and you'll find lots and lots of articles about it's nutritional benefits. I sometimes call it "dead animal juice," so it's not for the vegetarians of the world.

Here's my daily menu since I've started adding it in:

Breakfast (which for me is around noon because I eat a late supper): A cup or so of bone broth with salt, a handful of veggies (asparagus spear or baby spinach or chopped kale), and an egg blended into it (kind of like a mock egg drop soup)

This keeps me full for hours. I seriously can't even think about eating. If I do get peckish around late afternoon, I am satisfied with either a little cottage cheese or some sliced venison bologna and cheese.

Then I don't eat again until a late supper (typically 10pm). I start the meal with another 1/2 cup of bone broth. Then I might eat a small burger patty with tomato on a portabello mushroom, some sauteed spinach, and 1/2 a small baked white potato.

In the past, I would have eaten way more calories for "breakfast," a much bigger snack/lunch, plus my supper would have been twice that size (bigger burger on a bun, large baked potato, etc.).

I have definitely reduced my calorie intake by adding the bone broth. Just thought I'd mention it to anyone looking for a hack.
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

That's a volumetric trick!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:35 PM   #3  

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
That's a volumetric trick!
Sort of. But I've tried this before with regular broth based soups (canned broths, canned soups, meat broths, vegetarian broths) and it didn't work. I think there's something specific to the BONE broth that creates satiety for me, and it's not the fat because I skim that off. Not sure what, but I find it satiating in a way that regular soups are not.
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 112/101/60

Height: 161

I will look it up then, dunno if you can find that where I live but I could really use that for breakfast since I dont have time to have a proper breakfast and I feel starving by 10am u.u
SkylarLeeDixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:13 PM   #5  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Hm. I've always made "bone broth" with the leftover bones and skin from roasted chicken, make it overnight in the crock pot. Never thought it was any different than a traditional chicken broth. Glad it's working for you. I'm all souped out!
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:14 PM   #6  

Bone marrow is great for Vitamin K2!
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:14 PM   #7  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Trainers everywhere don't want you to know this one simple trick!
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:41 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

If that's what you like to eat and it works then it sounds great. Me? Can't eat that. I make loads of home made stock and keep it in quart containers in the freezer and pull it out for when I want to add to soups or gravy or risotto. But soup for breakfast doesn't sound appetizing, and eating at 10pm would just keep me up with tummy pains all night. Everybody's different.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:57 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I can eat (and have!) soup for every meal of the day since I was a kid. I just love it!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:47 AM   #10  
Black Barbie

S/C/G: 252/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

hmmm.....I'm going to start making my own broths and freezing them!
Olivia7906 is offline   Reply With Quote