3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Eat anything you want, just cook it yourself (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/294841-eat-anything-you-want-just-cook-yourself.html)

Silverfire 04-15-2014 01:25 PM

Eat anything you want, just cook it yourself

Watch this video you'll never eat mcdonalds french fries again
http://www.collective-evolution.com/...h-fries-again/

The title on the link is a little misleading, but I thought this was very interesting video!

I know I am guilty of relying on heat and eat meals when I am pressed for time!

VermontMom 04-15-2014 03:11 PM

thank you for that link! I just watched it. Very interesting and only reinforces that I do not visit fast food restaurants, not since reading Fast Food Nation so long ago.

Very interesting, the speaker points out that society rebels when government tries to control/manipulate our eating habits (Mayor Bloomberg and his ban on 32 oz drinks and getting blasted for it) yet we are daily manipulated by food industry in the layout of grocery stores and the way food is manufactured with "craveability" and 'snackability' the driving factors.

Silverfire 04-15-2014 03:27 PM

I loved that "craveability" and "snackability" are just synonyms for addictive. I'm sure I have heard those words used before, but I don't think I ever took into consideration what they might actually mean!

Locke 04-15-2014 03:54 PM

I think it's sad that people don't have time to cook for themselves these days. Or they don't think that they have time. I certainly have enough time to cook three scratch meals a day for myself but they aren't going to conform to the standard that is set by our consumer culture. A bowl of beans, a bit of corn bread, and some fried greens are a nice home cooked meal that will last a few days with leftovers. People these days feel like everything needs to be fancy and you should have different things at every meal.

Every time I see a menu plan for a blog it's always so many fancy recipes. You could spend hours cooking and shopping each week. Or you could just be satisfied with what you have. I agree with Pollan that we've really sold our souls by farming out our cooking to factories and restaurants. They've warped our collective expectations of variety and portion size. I don't subscribe to the whole "food addiction" theory, but the evidence is strong that variety and palatability correlate with overeating.

happynottsgirl 04-15-2014 04:39 PM

Very inspiring video. I particularly loved his observation that while 'we' recoil at social engineering when it's proposed by the government, we happily accept it when it comes from corporations.

And I will definitely try to adhere to the 'eat anything you want but cook it yourself' guideline as much as possible.

I try to prepare my lunch to take to work every day.

I've not been successful finding 100% whole wheat bread in the Netherlands. While I'd rather go without bread, most of the time I conform and buy the closest thing I can find, since bread is practical for my busy lifestyle.

Today, at the supermarket, after searching hopelessly for the umpteenth time among the 40 or so bread varieties (with about 20 ingredients each), I decided that nope, none is good enough. I have made 100% whole wheat bread myself in the past. With only FOUR ingredients, it was the best bread I ever had. And so I will not conform to the corporations' social engineering that prefers I purchase lower nutrition bread using fillers such as white flour just because it's better for their bottom line.

souvenirdarling 04-15-2014 06:40 PM

One of my NY resolutions was "to eat better food". I didn't hold myself back, a learned to cook particularly well.

I am always pressed for time now and rarely have time to cook. The skills I aquired way back when have helped me to find a way to pre-cook my own grab and go foods.

luckymommy 04-15-2014 11:00 PM

Thanks for posting this...it's absolutely stunning. I don't eat at McDonald's but it's an eye opener with regards to the lengths corporations will go to when it comes to selling their product.

Serenity100 04-16-2014 06:59 AM

There actually is a real weight loss plan out there that everything you eat you have to make yourself or you can't eat it. Everything. So lets say you want cookies, first you have to bake a batch of cookies and then clean up the kitchen before you can eat one. Ice cream, start getting out that ice cream churner. Chips, start slicing those potatoes.

You get the picture. If my kids were small,(they're both adults now) I think I might try eating like this, everything from scratch, no preservatives. Also, holding down a full time job and making all of your food from scratch is tough too.

Olivia7906 04-16-2014 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenity100 (Post 4985525)
There actually is a real weight loss plan out there that everything you eat you have to make yourself or you can't eat it. Everything. So lets say you want cookies, first you have to bake a batch of cookies and then clean up the kitchen before you can eat one. Ice cream, start getting out that ice cream churner. Chips, start slicing those potatoes.

You get the picture. If my kids were small,(they're both adults now) I think I might try eating like this, everything from scratch, no preservatives. Also, holding down a full time job and making all of your food from scratch is tough too.

This is what I have been trying to do. EVERYTHING from stratch. Even condiments lol. You will find yourself investing in a lot more kitchen appliances and accessories (blenders, vitamix, dehydrators, food processors, bread machines, ice cream churners, etc.) But I COMPLETELY agree that it is tough to do if holding down a full time job. I don't work and I find myself in the kitchen a lot.

Silverfire 04-16-2014 09:19 AM

I have been finding myself returning to heat and eat foods (and even the occasional "fast foods") as I work full time and I have been working job #2 more often and even for an entire weekend. On non job #2 days I try to hit the gym for a couple hours. That really puts a dent in my good food preparation time. I think I need to set aside a weekend to take stock of my freezer and prepare my own heat and eat meals to have on hand for busy nights.

banananutmuffin 04-16-2014 01:27 PM

My hubby makes his ice cream in 2 ziplock bags. He says that way he only eats it if he's willing to work 20 minutes for it.

I'm a SAHM to three little kids. I homeschool them and work part-time from home. I still try to make most of our food homemade, especially entrees, breads and cookies and such. It helps to plan ahead and batch cook. I make 2 loaves of bread and freeze one. Or 2 quiches and freeze one. Or a double batch of meatballs and freeze half. Makes it easier on days I don't have time to cook a whole meal.

Diyasam 03-05-2021 05:54 AM

Hi i m new to this forum

tobeemara 03-21-2021 12:33 PM

Hi, I'm also new to this forum