Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-15-2014, 04:36 PM   #16  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity100 View Post
I used to work for a large Japanese corporation. I think the reason why some Asians are thin has more to do with their diet, and genes, than using chop sticks. For example, you need to eat a lot of sushi to gain weight. If it wasn't sushi, it was a bowl of rice, prepared so it sticks together so it can be picked up with the chop sticks and a couple of ounces of protein. Never any bread, or cakes or cookies.
I grew up as a fat Asian, and felt so out of place when I went to Hong Kong. I went to Hong Kong at goal weight a couple years ago and I was the odd one out for the opposite reason - everyone in general got really big (in comparison to 12 years ago). Idk how much genes play into it...in my experience its a triple threat combination of an overall lower calorie diet, a lot of walking around and a ton of shaming based on particular standards of what is fat, which may differ from other cultures ideas of fat.

Last edited by pixelllate; 04-15-2014 at 04:39 PM.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:14 PM   #17  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Ian - speaking of fish I just downed a delectable can of Latvian Smoked Sprats. Totally scrumptious.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:08 PM   #18  

Height: 5'9"

And to add to the eating a burger with them, this reminded me of my nephew. We went out as a family to a Chinese buffet place, and he was eating a rib with chopsticks. Our waitress was so flabbergasted by what she saw, or disgusted, or whatever it was, that she had to bring three other waitresses over to see. I'm not sure what they were saying (Asian type language), but I am sure it wasn't anything flattering! And for someone who had never eaten with chopsticks before, that kid was putting away some food. So if you are eating ice cream or spare ribs with them, it might not matter as much if you are a little slower. But as for me, I would definitely slow down. I am not an adept chopsticks user.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:39 PM   #19  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Ian - speaking of fish I just downed a delectable can of Latvian Smoked Sprats. Totally scrumptious.
I buy the Riga smoked sprats from Amazon. 12 cans for 22 bucks. A bargain!!
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:47 PM   #20  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Question Spot Remover?

Ian, before I try my can of sardines with chopsticks, does anyone have a favorite spot remover? One that can take an oil spot out of a pair of trousers before it becomes permanent.

Those little guys are slippery and tend to want to jump somewhere unintended.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:49 PM   #21  
Trying to be in the 160s

I "Shout" it out Bill.

Did it today with some splash back from a can of smoked oysters in olive oil (no drain, you gain).

Last edited by IanG; 04-15-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:55 PM   #22  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Bill to get oil out of trousers its easy. Put concentrated dishwashing detergent on your trousers. let it soak for one minute, then gently rub it out with for fingers until you can see it gone. You may need to add a little drop of water and start with the pants dampened.

Actually if the oil is fresh it will come out very easily.

Rinse them out and then wash them normally.

Then wash them normally
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:52 AM   #23  

I could eat with chopsticks like this girl.
Unfortunately I would also be the size of all those men combined.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:25 PM   #24  

Height: 5'0"

I'm an Asian-born Asian adopted by white people as a baby and grew up in a white, rural community.

In early high school, a standard dinner for me was a pile of french fries smothered in beef gravy, with maybe mac n cheese as a side. I was completely inactive. No sports. Hated sweating. In college I would DRIVE 2 blocks to the local mexican place for a big burrito and barbeque fries. I didn't have any weight issues until middle-age (started slowly gaining around 35) and having kids. I attribute my early thinness to genes, not habits or social influences.

And yeah. I can eat pretty fast with chopsticks, too.

Last edited by banananutmuffin; 04-17-2014 at 01:25 PM.
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:41 PM   #25  
Trying to be in the 160s

Well, it's working for me. It's still slowing me down enough so that by the end of my lunch I feel satisfied and am not reaching for a little more food.

I'm good with that so the chopsticks stay.

I am getting better at using them as well.

Last edited by IanG; 04-17-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:08 AM   #26  
Stubborn.

S/C/G: 197/See ticker/135

Height: 5'6''

If people are used to eating with chopsticks, I can guarantee that it does not slow them down one bit. When I was living in Japan my students would bolt down about a cup and a half of rice, soup, protein, and a vegetable in about 2 minutes flat then go janken for seconds. Now I find that I can actually eat certain things faster with chopsticks than a fork.

What's being conveyed on the chopsticks is much more important than the fact that you're using chopsticks.
Hotaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:35 PM   #27  
Badass Brokeleg Bunny

S/C/G: 239.2/199.8/170

I used to eat all my meals with chopsticks ... they are just so easy to clean up afterwards!

So I am super fast with them.

I think its not so much what you eat with, but if you put the utensil down between bites, take sips of water, converse, etc. Just slow down. If changing to chopsticks (or a fork, or your fingers, ha ha) slows you down ... then that may a solution for you!
tefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:44 PM   #28  
Trying to be in the 160s

They are still slowing me down. I can't scoop with them like I can with a fork. What you are eating definitely matters. I eat salads with beans and fish. The beans are especially fiddly!
Old 04-22-2014, 11:51 AM   #29  
Sailing the Grand Line!

S/C/G: 255/See Sig/130

I've spent years eating with chopsticks in the states and abroad and let me tell you, I can eat about as fast with chopsticks as I can with a fork. If it's rice, I can eat it faster with chopsticks. This "diet" would be my downfall, haha.

I think the whole "Asians are thin" argument doesn't often take into account overall diet and amount of walking. When I lived in Tokyo, I didn't own a car and I walked or biked miles a day. Different lifestyle, diet, etc.
Thousandsunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:27 PM   #30  
Trying to be in the 160s

Well, I don't know what I am doing wrong but these things are still slowing me down and making me feel fuller.

I guess I am just such a master with fork.