Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-11-2014, 10:59 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
This analogy is like comparing caffeine to Heisenberg's blue meth. They're hardly the same thing and one doesn't necessarily scratch the itch for the other. Dark chocolate in PB *is* amazing though

OP, I'd caution you not to give too much power to the chocolate/sugar/etc. It will always be there, produced en masse forever, and you can always have it. Do you NEED IT TODAY?
I'm not familiar with the Heisenberg thing you mentioned, sorry. But my own experience is that dark chocolate and real peanuts or peanut butter is really really good. And I never ignore my cravings, not if they're real cravings. But the trick of finding something better works really well for me, I can't lie about that.

We also have to be very cautious when we are hit with temptation. A craving and a temptation are not necessarily the same thing!! A craving is a sudden urge to eat something that you conjured up in your mind. A temptation is a sudden urge to eat something that you SAW. We are constantly inundated with food messages, big juicy burgers on tv, tempting snacks lining the shelves while waiting in line to pay for something, seeing someone enjoy food, etc. Lots of external prompts. By focusing on what we actually want to eat rather than the sudden appearance of a Reeses peanut butter cup can help us realize that maybe we DON"T want to eat a peanut butter cup after all. One of the most useful strategies I've adopted recently is that when I get hit with temptation I stop and think about whether or not I'm really craving that. I think "that looks good, but is there something better that I would prefer to eat?" And I don't mean "better" as in "healthier" I mean better as in something I would rather eat. I've surprised to find that temptation doesn't always mean I'm craving something, sometimes I see a donut and I feel a compuslion to eat it. But when I stop and think I realize "hmmm, I think I actually want rice pudding instead" which CAN be very confusing but it completely takes away the power of that donut and the compulsion to eat it.

Last edited by Palestrina; 04-11-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:09 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 233/ticker/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
This analogy is like comparing caffeine to Heisenberg's blue meth. They're hardly the same thing and one doesn't necessarily scratch the itch for the other. Dark chocolate in PB *is* amazing though

OP, I'd caution you not to give too much power to the chocolate/sugar/etc. It will always be there, produced en masse forever, and you can always have it. Do you NEED IT TODAY?
LOL the Breaking Bad analogy is pretty apt, and hilarious. I know I have a serious problem with chocolate. Going to talk to my trainers at the gym and see what they recommend and just try to go cold turkey until then.
rosesandholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:17 AM   #18  
Blessed Person Here

S/C/G: Going/Still going/Gone

Height: 5' 1''

OP: These food are gonna be around all through your journey and throughout your life. Are you going to avoid them forever?
I'm far from being a good example when it comes to weight loss, but I feel the real thing lies in developing a healthy relationship with our favorite foods...
In my case it's banana split gelatto, pizza and burgers. It's difficult for me to go for a long time without those so I allow myself to have them regularly. Just find the right balance for you.
For me, it's having them in a certain amount, as the only food (therefore calorie intake) for that day.
Sometimes I have huge quantities, so I engage in huge walking sessions afterwards.
So, please find the right balance for YOU!
Good luck

Last edited by thirti4thirty; 04-11-2014 at 11:19 AM.
thirti4thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:43 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 192/160/137

Height: 5'4"

I love 100% cacoa -Ghiridelli is the the best! Dip that in a little almond butter and I am in heaven! With that said some things cannot ever ever ever come into my home...like DOTS! I basically told my hubby if he brings Dots it like an aft of war. No candy is more important than health!!! I have had coworkers bring me gummy bears and they get trashed. I know my limits and people around me have to respect them.
Sassyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote