Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-07-2014, 08:05 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 229/205.6/165

Height: 5'4"

Small side note - if you're looking to add more protein & if you like your yogurt then definitely give Greek yogurt a try. It can have upwards of 18g of protein per serving! it's a slightly different after taste and might be weird to get used to at first but it's worth it.
kaybee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:29 PM   #17  
LRH

S/C/G: 152/132/127

Height: 5'5"

I think we've all been there. Nothing more to add except weigh yourself, accept the result of your actions and start fresh with the good ideas mentioned by the others here. I'm confident you will get back on track.
LRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:09 PM   #18  
JUST TODAY!

S/C/G: 212/168

Height: 5'5

Britchick: First I feel for your frustration. I felt a whole gambit of negative emotions for years trying to control my eating with what felt like 50 different "healthy food plans." I know the fear and desperation you have pointed to. I am also 50.

Ok, here comes an unpopular thought on the whole binge thing!

I had to cut out almost every food and go on a strict pre-planned, prepackaged, very restrictive plan to break my food addictive behaviors. Yup I threw out/gave away everything in my house that was not "on plan." I ate nothing but Medifast and wonderslim and the allowed "lean and greens for the past 60 or so days. I was out of control and could not stop myself from killing myself with a fork. I needed a drastic intervention. Medifast to the rescue. From January 10th until Feb 3, I tried to "clean my gut" with a cleanse, use atkins 72 (almost no carbs) eat vegan and raw(listening to my raw foodist health coach daughter)and ended up binging on a whole pizza, cookies, icecream and whatever for 2 solid days until, I just gave up trying the "healthy stuff" until I could get myself under control. I never lost a lb in January. My Bp was out of control on two meds, I was taking 2 asthma drugs and antidepressants and my next step was taking insulin.

I have a sister that had the vertical sleeve stomach removal in Jan too. I was just as sick as she was and did not want to HAVE to go that route.

Now, 65 days later I'm down 33lbs. I am on one bp med and my blood sugars are normal everyday. I let go of one asthma med and exercise 4x a week at least. AND I can stop eating when I'm full, cravings are mostly gone except the peri-menopause stuff but now I can at least make a choice about what I'm doing with my fork. Rather than stabbing myself in the eye with it. and for goodness sake no ANTIDEPRESSANTS for me. Diet and Exercise took care of that.

I know this post is long but I wanted you to know that sometimes we need help getting on the right track. Self control is not the issue- body systems are. The pre-planned diet was designed so I did not have to make choices. Just followed the plan, it worked for me.

I am now transitioning to all "real" food and am able to take all the good advice that was given to me before. But, 'for me' it all has to be done WITH A PLAN, written out, spelled out and exacting for me. I need absolute success this time! I just don't have anymore time to lose.

Best wishes with whatever you chose to do. Never, Never think of yourself as weak or alone. There is 40% of the population in the same boat as us. Stay in touch on here it really does help a lot.

Last edited by miniapplecocoa; 04-07-2014 at 09:18 PM.
miniapplecocoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:39 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybee1 View Post
Small side note - if you're looking to add more protein & if you like your yogurt then definitely give Greek yogurt a try. It can have upwards of 18g of protein per serving! it's a slightly different after taste and might be weird to get used to at first but it's worth it.
If you grew up in Greece like I did then greek yogurt is all that is available. We call it just "yogurt" and it does not have a different after taste and is not weird at all. Just saying, to some of us greek yogurt is quite normal and doesn't need any getting used to. The other stuff (what you might call normal yogurt) is runny goopy to me lol.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:47 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
If you grew up in Greece like I did then greek yogurt is all that is available. We call it just "yogurt" and it does not have a different after taste and is not weird at all. Just saying, to some of us greek yogurt is quite normal and doesn't need any getting used to. The other stuff (what you might call normal yogurt) is runny goopy to me lol.
Agreed. I always hated yogurt until I tasted homemade Greek yogurt from a Greek market. Even plain, it's the most amazing, creamy flavor. Mmm!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:18 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Ah...killing ourselves with our forks and snorting KitKats pretty much puts things in perspective. Who among us hasn't been there/done that/won the t-shirt? It's a long slog with lots of setbacks, but we just have to keep at it as best we can. Good luck!

Greek yogurt has become my "go to" topping for baked potatoes, fruit salads, and other things that call for sour cream. I have used the reduced fat sour cream, but the yogurt is much better. No deprivation at all. Regular yogurt doesn't cut it as a sour cream substitute.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:08 PM   #22  

Thank you all for taking the time out to reply.

Today has been better than yesterday, not brilliant, but it's a start

Didn't manage to face the scales, but will do tomorrow when I am working next door to the chemist.

BTW, I love greek yoghurt
BritChick63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:11 PM   #23  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

I've read you can make your non Greek yogurt "Greek" by letting it drain (so getting rid of the goop ) I would say if your Greek yogurt has a weird taste it is more likely from some additive like artificial flavor or sweetener, not the Greek-ness.

BritChick I see you came back, best of luck to you

Last edited by kelijpa; 04-08-2014 at 12:12 PM.
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:31 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritChick63 View Post
Thank you all for taking the time out to reply.

Today has been better than yesterday, not brilliant, but it's a start

Didn't manage to face the scales, but will do tomorrow when I am working next door to the chemist.

BTW, I love greek yoghurt
BritChick, I wanted to echo what miniapplecocoa said about a plan. I never had success until I actually made a plan. While I didn't go with a program, I did (and usually still do) take 10 minutes to plan out my day before it started, including measurements of meals and snacks to make sure that I am on target for my day.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:01 PM   #25  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Minnie, did you make up your own plan? What was it like? Glad to hear it worked for you. The earlier experience sounds really painful.

Britchick, just a little point about scales. You weigh your least first thing in the morning because you've got less water in your system left after sleep and morning pee. Its also the most consistent so when you can, get yourself a set of scales. And learn how not to be upset by them.

Someone else around here had a very good strategy of weighing daily and taking the average for the week. This is probably an accurate way to determine your true loss or gain for the week.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:40 PM   #26  

Default Hi BritChick..

I go through the same things from time to time. I would say, forgive yourself for your weak days and stop beating yourself up. The world does enough of that! Fluids help me. I just drink so much water that I can't fit anything else in my belly LOL. I also drink my protein shakes a few times a day and they are very filling. I am down from 289 to my lowest weight of 229 now. I don't remember the last time I weighed that much. Just keep going, don't quit. I do know how you feel though. xoPeach
ChunkyPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:55 PM   #27  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
Lol true, but it is completely different to the stuff we typically eat here in north america. In fact, the "greek" yogurt only really started showing up on the shelves in abundance the last couple years and even more brands jumping on the band wagon this year alone. Of course, if that's all that's available to you it wouldn't be weird but over here it is a novelty
Old 04-09-2014, 10:45 PM   #28  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

The so-called greek yoghurt here in Australia is not usually greek yoghurt. Its usually got added cream. That wasn't the case in greece.

I personally prefer the term natural yoghurt because this means its made with whole milk but no added sugars or cream or anything else.

We also had a thing called european style yoghurt. I think what i call natural yoghurt is pretty much the same thing.

Most of the yoghurt now on our shelves here in Australia seism to be either low fat or yoghurt with added fat. Its very hard to find straight whole milk yoghurt which in my view is the healthiest.

WE have fairly good food labelling standards in Australia so if its like that in the states, then just read the labels.

Last edited by Pattience; 04-09-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:14 PM   #29  

I'm from Canada, actually, and we too have very good labelling standards. But the yogurt aisle, much like the cereal aisle, can be seriously dizzying lol.

When i buy my yogurt, i pretty much focus on the protein & sugar content as I don't eat much of it as is and typically only have a bit at breakfast.

Last edited by kaybee1; 04-09-2014 at 11:15 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-09-2014, 11:35 PM   #30  
Tir Asleen

S/C/G: 215/211/145

Height: 5'1

I binge really bad at night so I know what you mean. I have gained so much, I don't even look like myself anymore. It is sad.
TirAsleen is offline   Reply With Quote