Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #1  
Finding my mind :)

S/C/G: HW:194 189.6/175.2/127

Height: 5'6"

Default Seriously shocked! What was your wake up call??

Here's mine: So this semester I am taking classes on campus that are located in a building at the top of a steep hill. I have to climb up this amazingly, super tall, never-ending staircase twice a day. And it kills me!! Every M/W/F I mentally bemoan the torture that awaits at 8:30 AM and 1:30 PM.

But it seems I am alone in my suffering, as my fellow students seem to bound up carelessly without stopping, as I must. At several of the platforms I need to catch my breath but I've never seen anyone else do this. I also pant wildly and loudly which embarrasses me a great deal, and my face gets very red. I mean I walk slowly and pause every so often and it still KILLS me! But only me, as far as I've seen in 8 weeks. I am also one of the largest (girl) students on campus, most look to be 100-150 pounds.

Anyway I am SHOCKED at how out of shape I am! It's become noticeably bad. I never used to at my previous high weight (175) but now that I've edged up to near 190 there is a huge difference.

Anyone else have a moment of shock/wake up call that you needed to make a change, stat???
nostoneunturned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:39 PM   #2  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

The "shock" really sucks initially but man it feels good when you use it as a catalyst to get in good health!

For me, it was getting denied for life insurance (I was above the maximum weight for my height, which still angers me.) Just a few short weeks after that, my boyfriend bought me a really really nice hiking daypack and the hip strap wouldn't fit around my stomach. I was so embarrassed when we called to order an extension. Man, that really really hit me hard emotionally.

But less than a year later, I no longer need that extension and I'm crossing my fingers I'll be approved this month for life insurance!!!
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 229/205.6/165

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonameslob View Post
The "shock" really sucks initially but man it feels good when you use it as a catalyst to get in good health!

For me, it was getting denied for life insurance (I was above the maximum weight for my height, which still angers me.) Just a few short weeks after that, my boyfriend bought me a really really nice hiking daypack and the hip strap wouldn't fit around my stomach. I was so embarrassed when we called to order an extension. Man, that really really hit me hard emotionally.

But less than a year later, I no longer need that extension and I'm crossing my fingers I'll be approved this month for life insurance!!!
Hey nonameslob - I guess I'm not familiar with the process of getting life insurance for Americans, but would you mind telling me what the cut off is for someone your height?? Can you reapply once you're below that cut off?? It's mind blowing to me how difficult it seems for ppl to get health/life coverage.
kaybee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:49 PM   #4  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I would not put it down to a single thing. But a few issues made me think a little. The toilet plumbing creaking when I sat down on the toilet was one of them. Internet ordering clothing (that was large enough) was probably another. Taking BP and choesterol medication did not seem to bother me but accepting I would probably die early from my weight probably caught up with me as something that was wrong to think.

My wife calling me a "fat whale", another.

A friend saying "I could never lose weight"...perhaps the biggest push. I replied "Watch me" in response to that.

And she has!

Last edited by IanG; 04-02-2014 at 08:56 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:54 PM   #5  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybee1 View Post
Hey nonameslob - I guess I'm not familiar with the process of getting life insurance for Americans, but would you mind telling me what the cut off is for someone your height?? Can you reapply once you're below that cut off?? It's mind blowing to me how difficult it seems for ppl to get health/life coverage.
The short answer is the cut off was 230 pounds for my height of 5'4". I will message you the long answer if you're really interested!
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:07 PM   #6  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostoneunturned View Post
I have to climb up this amazingly, super tall, never-ending staircase twice a day. And it kills me!! Every M/W/F I mentally bemoan the torture that awaits at 8:30 AM and 1:30 PM.

But only me, as far as I've seen in 8 weeks.
I'm pretty surprised that twice a day, 3x a week and it is still difficult after 8 weeks.

It is, I imagine, getting easier?
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:23 AM   #7  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

For me it was a photograph. We were out at Honolua Bay (Maui) and my husband just happened to snap a photo of me. I thought nothing of it, until later. When I saw the photo, and how bad I looked...that was it.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:44 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostoneunturned View Post
Here's mine: So this semester I am taking classes on campus that are located in a building at the top of a steep hill. I have to climb up this amazingly, super tall, never-ending staircase twice a day. And it kills me!! Every M/W/F I mentally bemoan the torture that awaits at 8:30 AM and 1:30 PM.

But it seems I am alone in my suffering, as my fellow students seem to bound up carelessly without stopping, as I must. At several of the platforms I need to catch my breath but I've never seen anyone else do this. I also pant wildly and loudly which embarrasses me a great deal, and my face gets very red. I mean I walk slowly and pause every so often and it still KILLS me! But only me, as far as I've seen in 8 weeks. I am also one of the largest (girl) students on campus, most look to be 100-150 pounds.

Anyway I am SHOCKED at how out of shape I am! It's become noticeably bad. I never used to at my previous high weight (175) but now that I've edged up to near 190 there is a huge difference.

Anyone else have a moment of shock/wake up call that you needed to make a change, stat???
I've met a few stairclimbs like this myself, who hasn't? What a golden opportunity you have to master this challenge! Be thankful for it and use it!

I think you're focusing on the wrong stuff, the embarrassment, the difficulty, the guilt of being out of shape, the stopping to take a break.... yea that's all so depressing when you wallow in it. Me? I read that post and thought "wow that's awesome that she has that built-in exercise! My Fitbit would be all over that! I'd rack up steps and stair climbs!!"

You need a better strategy. First of all just accept the fact that you will need to take a break. There's no prize at the top of the stairs so stopping to take a break does not mean anything other than what it is - a break. Don't compare yourself to others because guess what.... those people you see climbing up the stairs are either so fit that it doesn't bother them or are enjoying it as an opportunity to exercise. Guess who's not on it - the people who are arranging their class schedule in an effort to avoid that hill, the people who are driving to the other side of campus so they don't go up that hill, the people that stopped taking classes at the top of that hill, what about the handicapped people? They don't even get the privilige. You're already way ahead now aren't you?

Right so here's what would be MY strategy in your shoes. Walk up slowly and make sure you squeeze your glutes with every step - might as well use this opportunity to create your buns of steel right? Count your steps and make note of which step you stop on. Take a breather, tie your shoe, pretend you're on your phone, whatever you have to do to not feel self conscious. There's no need to but if it makes you feel better then why not. Keep going and squeeze! At the top of the hill mentally give yourself a pat on the back. Track your progress, last week you were stopping for breath around step 27? This week you're stopping around step 39. That's progress!
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:52 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 325/125/maintaining

Height: 5'6.5

My shock was when I desperately needed a new pair of pants and found out not even the plus size stores carried sizes big enough for me...they would have to order them for me. I had gotten in the habit of wearing stretchy sweats and t-shirts. Real clothes didn't fit me anymore.
KatMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 275/249/170

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
@Ian - Congratulation on your weight loss so far but I have to say - I am sorry that your wife said something so hurtful. Just the idea of my boyfriend saying something like that to me makes me angry. I can understand talking about it in a respectful way but..."fat whale" does not fall into that platform to me. =\

@nostoneunturned: Ahhh - My "AH - HA!" moment was pretty much the same as yours. When I had to pause after climbing one flight of stairs (maybe 20 stairs total) and I was completely out of breath, yea. I was little mortified. Now I spend 5 - 15 minuets on a stair climber at the gym at least twice a week. =D I will win that battle eventually.
SugarRomeoTango4852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:02 AM   #11  

Quote:

A friend saying "I could never lose weight"...perhaps the biggest push. I replied "Watch me" in response to that.

And she has!
You've mentioned things like this in other posts. Why is it that the people in your life are so unkind to you? With friends like this, who needs enemies? Had my husband said anything like that to me then the way I'd phrase it is "my EX-husband said....."
Old 04-03-2014, 09:16 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 337.6/see ticker/190

Height: 5' 7"

Nostoneunturned I had a similar situation last year. I was moved from the first floor, first building at the bottom of the hill at work to the second floor, second building at the top of the hill. The first few months of having to take the stairs and/or hill multiple times a day at first made me pant and get hot from the trek. Now it is much better and I take them to help get some exercise in. I refuse to use the elevator unless injured.

But something to keep in mind. I noticed that I held my breath sometimes while climbing. It was an unconscious thing I did. Maybe you are doing the same? It really makes a difference in how hard it is on you.
Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:39 AM   #13  

S/C/G: see ticker

My wake up call was not having enough energy to dance with my baby in my arms and soothe him when he was 6 months old. One song and I was out of breath. I got my *** in gear after that and started walking, then running, every night. I made time, because that made me feel worse than I ever had before.

Last edited by BettyBooty; 04-03-2014 at 10:44 AM.
BettyBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:12 AM   #14  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
You've mentioned things like this in other posts. Why is it that the people in your life are so unkind to you? With friends like this, who needs enemies? Had my husband said anything like that to me then the way I'd phrase it is "my EX-husband said....."
Bad things are often said in the middle of an argument, at least in my home.

I have been known to give as good as I get, so no need for a divorce. At least not just yet...

Last edited by IanG; 04-03-2014 at 11:12 AM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:53 AM   #15  

Quote:
Bad things are often said in the middle of an argument, at least in my home.

I have been known to give as good as I get, so no need for a divorce. At least not just yet...
I wasn't suggesting that! Only saying that if we can't get support from our loved ones then where can we?