3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Weight Loss Support

Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Low calories, healthy eating, sweating hard, why has my weight lose virtual stopped?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2014, 11:42 AM   #1
Obsessed
 
CooCooCaChoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 98

S/C/G: 265/230/175

Height: 5'5"

Unhappy Low calories, healthy eating, sweating hard, why has my weight lose virtual stopped?

As you can see from my stats I have a lot of weight to lose. It has been almost a month. The first two weeks I dropped 16.5 lbs like it was nothing. The past 2 weeks I have only lost 2 lbs total. I know that is a fair amount, but iI can't help but feel with everything I am doing it should be closer to a 2lb per week loss. Here is where I am and why I feel this way. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

The first week I changed my eating habits, all gung ho like. Went from eating horrible to eating healthy, documenting every bite that entered my mouth. I maintain 1200 to 1400 calories a day. I don't cheat. I drink so much water I have to pee every hour or two. Week 2 I added exercise, 20 minutes of walking or elliptical. Week 3 I added weights for 10 minutes and 10 more minutes of walking/running or using the elliptical (so about 40 minutes of exercise per day, 5 days a week). I also added one semi bad meal per week, normally on Friday or Saturday night. Not terrible, but probably a 1000 calories in one sitting. I am also getting ready to add crunchies and reverse crunchies next week.

I am completely motivated and not in the mind set of quitting, but I feel like I am losing sight of the light at the end of the tunnel. I am sure the initial weight lose contributed to my higher expectations, but I can't help but wonder if I am doing something wrong. I wear a fit bit which tracks my activity and my calories, and I am normally burning about 1000 to 1200 more than I eat (and that accounts for and includes calories burned during exercise). I haven't noticed a difference in my clothes. The only thing I am sure of is that my wedding ring isn't as tight.

I don't want to sound whiny, and I am so sorry if that is how I am coming across. I had my heart set on losing 2 lbs per week and I feel like I'm doing everything I can, but my best isn't enough. Does that make sense? I'm sorry this was so long. I just needed to vent.

Thanks for reading. Xoxo
CooCooCaChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:01 PM   #2
Diane
 
Slashnl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,330

S/C/G: 294/228.4/180

Height: 5'6"

Default

A couple of things... you started exercising, so you're building muscle and you may not see huge weight loss while initially starting out that process. Keep with it though! Exercise is essential! You may also be retaining a little water if your muscles are sore. The body can do that just to help heal the muscle. It won't be with you forever, though, so don't worry.

The only other thing, in my opinion, is that your calories might be too low. You might try one of the websites that calculate the calories you should have, based on your weight and lifestyle. I've been losing fairly well with exercise every day, but also 1500-1700 calories.

Hope that helps! But hang in there! A 1-2 pound loss per week is great!
__________________
End of 2014 Challenge:




This time, I'm going to be stronger, I'm not giving in. - Rudimental
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
Aloha nui loa
 
MauiKai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 780

S/C/G: 181/TKR/148

Height: 6'1"

Default

That first massive weight loss was likely mostly water weight.
__________________




"Giving up because of one setback is like slashing your other 3 tires because you got a flat."
"If you don't sacrifice for what you want, what you want becomes the sacrifice"
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:10 PM   #4
Obsessed
 
CooCooCaChoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 98

S/C/G: 265/230/175

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashnl View Post
A couple of things... you started exercising, so you're building muscle and you may not see huge weight loss while initially starting out that process. Keep with it though! Exercise is essential! You may also be retaining a little water if your muscles are sore. The body can do that just to help heal the muscle. It won't be with you forever, though, so don't worry.

The only other thing, in my opinion, is that your calories might be too low. You might try one of the websites that calculate the calories you should have, based on your weight and lifestyle. I've been losing fairly well with exercise every day, but also 1500-1700 calories.

Hope that helps! But hang in there! A 1-2 pound loss per week is great!
Thank you. I wondered if my calories were too low, but I am so scared to increase them. I feel like I have bee eating a certain way for almost a month now, and the thought of changing it is frightening. The fit bit flex that I wear tracks my calories burned vs calories ate. I know there are some days for sure that I should be eating more, and I never thought I'd say this, but sometimes it is hard eating more! I've always been fairly musculer so maybe I am retaining a lot of water.....I just wish I could see a difference somewhere. Thanks for replying. Maybe I will give it one more week and increase my calories and see how I do. XOXO
CooCooCaChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 439

S/C/G: 420/333/160

Height: 5'9"

Default

Whenever I see frustration posts like these I have to wonder if the changes that you are making have been too drastic. Your weight loss plan should be something that you can maintain for life. If you are getting frustrated because you aren't dropping the weight quickly enough then I suspect that you are finding yourself engaged in a pattern of behavior that is not sustainable over the long term.
__________________
"Things are as they are. Looking out into it the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations." - Alan Watts
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:21 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Munchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,466

S/C/G: 129/130.4/115

Default

When I start a new exercise routine I always retain water for at least 6-8 weeks before I start losing again.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:40 PM   #7
Obsessed
 
CooCooCaChoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 98

S/C/G: 265/230/175

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Whenever I see frustration posts like these I have to wonder if the changes that you are making have been too drastic. Your weight loss plan should be something that you can maintain for life. If you are getting frustrated because you aren't dropping the weight quickly enough then I suspect that you are finding yourself engaged in a pattern of behavior that is not sustainable over the long term.
Thank you Locke. Your analogy makes sense, though not for my situation. I am 100% on board for a life style change. I have a passion to be not just healthy, but physically fit as well. I have 3 children who are active and I truly desire to keep up with them. My frustration is based on the notion of the blissful and healthy possibility of a 2 lb loss per week and the happy path of being where I wanted to be before the holidays. The rate I am losing isn't going to get me to my goal in the timeframe I wanted and that, in my mind, doesn't indicate being engaged in something I cannot sustain. This isn't an option for me. I should have clearly stated this is a lifestyle change more than a diet and exercise. I am looking for ideas on how to help me overcome frustration, not comments that I have my bar set to high. Thank you though. I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Whether I agree or not, I enjoy everyone's feedback.
CooCooCaChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:45 PM   #8
Obsessed
 
CooCooCaChoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 98

S/C/G: 265/230/175

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
When I start a new exercise routine I always retain water for at least 6-8 weeks before I start losing again.
Thank you. The timeframe is helpful. I've never committed to exercise for this long (not since highschool anyway) so I have a lot of questions about water retention and calorie intakes.
CooCooCaChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:29 PM   #9
diamondgeog
 
Posts: n/a

Default

It's hard to express in words...but weight loss rate became totally irrelevant to me this go around. And this go around is for life.

I not only subscribed to this is a lifestyle change but the following was a big mantra of mine. Eat well, move well, weight loss is a side effect.

I had an absolute certainty that if I researched. If I tweeked what I did, if I exercised, if I eat whole foods and in my case eliminated grains and upped saturated fat that I would succeed.

I didn't know at what rate. But this was a lifestyle change for life. And I remember back when I had lost the first 20. I felt SO much better and so energized. The appearance part wasn't noticeable. But I FELT it. Which was way more than enough motivation. And it allowed me to do more exercise.

Right now focus on finding what works and is sustainable. The weight comes when it comes. That being said if you plateau too long of course that is a concern. That is where tweeking comes in.

Totally agree about tape. I am right around the average height for a male in the US, a little over 5'9". I am about 8 lbs heavier than the average male right now. But my waist size is 5 inches under the average male. These are males 20 and over in the US. So that means to me I am leaner than the average male even at 48. So yes I am going to weigh a bit more than the average because I have more muscle. I still want to end up between 180 and 190. But ultimately waist size is a better measure than weight. I'd still be 'overweight' by BMI at even 180. But I bet I will be very lean.

Last edited by diamondgeog : 03-18-2014 at 01:31 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:32 PM   #10
Member
 
Mumof 2D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 37

S/C/G: 290/273.2/200

Height: 5'6"

Default

2 lbs a week is a good goal..however it may be a bit unrealistic. Especially after you loose a lot in the first. Your body needs to get used to the changes you are going through. It is very frustrating to see a huge jump and then nothing for a long time. It's a pattern we either need to move forward with and have faith that things will change or we give up...again. The more your activity increases the better adapted your muscles will be and the better they will be at burning fat. I am a 268 lb power lifter. I am lucky if I loose .5 lbs a week. It's frustrating but you can do it!
__________________
Loving my new Fit Life!
Don't wait for tomorrow,
JUST START NOW!

Read my Blog - I Fail At Diets


Mumof 2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:33 PM   #11
Obsessed
 
CooCooCaChoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 98

S/C/G: 265/230/175

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgeog View Post
It's hard to express in words...but weight loss rate became totally irrelevant to me this go around. And this go around is for life.

I not only subscribed to this is a lifestyle change but the following was a big mantra of mine. Eat well, move well, weight loss is a side effect.

I had an absolute certainty that if I researched. If I tweeked what I did, if I exercised, if I eat whole foods and in my case eliminated grains and upped saturated fat that I would succeed.

I didn't know at what rate. But this was a lifestyle change for life. And I remember back when I had lost the first 20. I felt SO much better and so energized. The appearance part wasn't noticeable. But I FELT it. Which was way more than enough motivation. And it allowed me to do more exercise.

Right now focus on finding what works and is sustainable. The weight comes when it comes. That being said if you plateau too long of course that is a concern. That is where tweeking comes in.

Totally agree about tape. I am right around the average height for a male in the US, a little over 5'9". I am about 8 lbs heavier than the average male right now. But my waist size is 5 inches under the average male. These are males 20 and over in the US. So that means to me I am leaner than the average male even at 48. So yes I am going to weigh a bit more than the average because I have more muscle. I still want to end up between 180 and 190. But ultimately waist size is a better measure than weight. I'd still be 'overweight' by BMI at even 180. But I bet I will be very lean.
Thank you so much for sharing your story. I believe this is for life for me. I love your mantra. I wish I would have taken measurements when I started. It isn't too late to start now. I will find my tape measure and jot some down tonight.
CooCooCaChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:06 PM   #12
Obsessed
 
CooCooCaChoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 98

S/C/G: 265/230/175

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumof 2D View Post
2 lbs a week is a good goal..however it may be a bit unrealistic. Especially after you loose a lot in the first. Your body needs to get used to the changes you are going through. It is very frustrating to see a huge jump and then nothing for a long time. It's a pattern we either need to move forward with and have faith that things will change or we give up...again. The more your activity increases the better adapted your muscles will be and the better they will be at burning fat. I am a 268 lb power lifter. I am lucky if I loose .5 lbs a week. It's frustrating but you can do it!
This is very insightful. I am defintely by no means a power lifter, but do have a muscular build. My hubby keeps encouraging me to keep it up, I just need to hear it from women sometimes. FYI, you are beautiful. Thank you for your support!

Last edited by CooCooCaChoo : 03-18-2014 at 02:07 PM.
CooCooCaChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:30 PM   #13
On a break with Baby #5
 
Arctic Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Alaska
Posts: 3,764

S/C/G: 257 /ticker/ 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Default

You don't control the scale - you control your habits. The output of a number is not what you can manage, but rather the input side of that equation: if you've had a day where you ate the way you wanted and moved the way you wanted, you need to pat yourself on the back and let the scale do what it will. We're not machines and don't respond like it, weight loss isn't a linear process.
__________________
Taryl - http://www.aurorafiberarts.com/weightloss

Weight loss since Oct 2008:
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:34 PM   #14
Obsessed
 
CooCooCaChoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 98

S/C/G: 265/230/175

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
You don't control the scale - you control your habits. The output of a number is not what you can manage, but rather the input side of that equation: if you've had a day where you ate the way you wanted and moved the way you wanted, you need to pat yourself on the back and let the scale do what it will. We're not machines and don't respond like it, weight loss isn't a linear process.
Thank you. I hear what you are saying and it makes sense. I think all of us struggle at some point due to that number on our scale. There is so much more that I need to remember, that I need to consider. That's why I am here! I have a lot to learn. Your weight loss is inspirational. Thank you!
CooCooCaChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:07 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
freelancemomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,077

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Default

Also, that initial 16-pound weight loss may be an artifact. Perhaps you initially weighed yourself when you were very bloated, then two weeks later when you happened to have minimal water retention. The same pattern in reverse could also explain why you only "lost" 1 pound per week in the subsequent two weeks.

F.
__________________
freelancemomma is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:43 AM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2