Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-16-2014, 04:20 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 229/216/180

Height: 5'4"

Dolly welcome aboard! You seem to have the right attitude and I'm sure you'll do just fine. We're always here for support, just remember to keep coming back.
Waterbunny77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:48 AM   #17  
Trying hard

Height: 5'.5"

GOOD MORNING EVERYONE!

Firstly, I don't think I've ever met a friendlier and more encouraging bunch of folk than on here. Canadians Americans Australians and New Zealanders, I swear would take their shoes off and give them to you if you didn't have any. I have either visited their countries or worked with them and they were extremely easy to work with and a laugh a minute. Thank you so much for the support.. Right, upwards and onwards.

This morning I woke up with the 'third day carb withdrawal' headache. I was warned about this happening, and told that it was common on very low carb diets. Funny though, here I am with only 4 sachets of the formula a day and I don't feel hungry. I was also told that from today on, I will start to feel better. Hope so, because it is only8.50am and I feel so aweful I could go back to bed and pull the covers over my head

Last edited by Dollydimple; 03-16-2014 at 04:50 AM.
Dollydimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:27 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 233/230.1/121

Height: 5'5"

Dolly, I'm not doing a low carb diet so I can't offer any advice but I totally understand withdrawal and I also understand going back to bed! I've been following my diet well then breaking it with a big binge, then going back to it again, like a viscous cycle I hope your day is going well and you're feeling better.
justagirlinthecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:31 PM   #19  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Hi dolly, yesterday i was reading, i think it was the insulin article which clarifies what's going for you and why you are feeling that way. I would not like to go through it myself but since you are, you should have an easy schedule so that you can cope with it.

go back to bed if it helps and don't hold to this day or that day. If you are following the plan strictly, what they say will happen, if not exactly at the time they predict because they understand the reasons why its happening. It would help you if you could understand it better too.

I read the article about insulin on nutrition world website. I found it very interesting and useful.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:40 PM   #20  
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by justagirlinthecity View Post
So glad you're feeling good! There's a real strength in knowing you're taking control and making healthy choices. I'm battling cravings and withdrawal symptoms at the moment. I'm really struggling, but next week is a new start. I know what you mean, I wouldn't have made it this far at all without support from these forums!
just a girl

there are explanations for your withdrawals and cravings and i think if you could understand more about why you are having them, you would be able to avoid them.

I've been posting some articles on seratonin, insulin, fibre and lip tin from a website called nutrition world. The articles are in-depth and well written. The may need rereading a second time beucaes there is a a lot to take in but if you do i think you would be helping yourself a lot.

I suggest the seratonin and insulin articles particularly but also the leptin one. the fibre on is good less from the point of view of mood things like cravings. It took me a few days to read them all and so far i haven't yet found any better source of info on this stuff.

For myself to avoid cravings here's what i do:
1. sleep well and try to go to bed fairly early
2. avoid all refined sugars
3. be aware of stress and disappointment and take special care to nurture myself with good self talk.
4. eat my meals fairly close together. If there are not enough calories in them for my activities, i may find myself getting a bit hungry and then i would eat something low calorie like fruit, sandwich, or a glass of wine or whatever depending on how hungry i am and how far it is to the next meal and how big is the danger of breaking my diet.
5. don't reduce calories too much. Keep the calorie deficit fairly small.
6. for greater satisfaction with your foods, eat more fruit and vegies, more fibre and keep the protein level up to where it should be. at around 25% of calorie intake. I've had to adjust my protein intake and i'm working through some of that now. Its hard for a vegetarian.
7. avoid processed foods and takeaways as much as possible because they are high in salt and low in satiety and nutrition.

Good luck
Old 03-17-2014, 12:20 AM   #21  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattience View Post
just a girl

there are explanations for your withdrawals and cravings and i think if you could understand more about why you are having them, you would be able to avoid them.

I've been posting some articles on seratonin, insulin, fibre and lip tin from a website called nutrition world. The articles are in-depth and well written. The may need rereading a second time beucaes there is a a lot to take in but if you do i think you would be helping yourself a lot.

I suggest the seratonin and insulin articles particularly but also the leptin one. the fibre on is good less from the point of view of mood things like cravings. It took me a few days to read them all and so far i haven't yet found any better source of info on this stuff.

For myself to avoid cravings here's what i do:
1. sleep well and try to go to bed fairly early
2. avoid all refined sugars
3. be aware of stress and disappointment and take special care to nurture myself with good self talk.
4. eat my meals fairly close together. If there are not enough calories in them for my activities, i may find myself getting a bit hungry and then i would eat something low calorie like fruit, sandwich, or a glass of wine or whatever depending on how hungry i am and how far it is to the next meal and how big is the danger of breaking my diet.
5. don't reduce calories too much. Keep the calorie deficit fairly small.
6. for greater satisfaction with your foods, eat more fruit and vegies, more fibre and keep the protein level up to where it should be. at around 25% of calorie intake. I've had to adjust my protein intake and i'm working through some of that now. Its hard for a vegetarian.
7. avoid processed foods and takeaways as much as possible because they are high in salt and low in satiety and nutrition.

Good luck
Pattience, I'm so glad you found a good source for insulin, leptin, etc. info. I read your question about insulin on another thread & couldn't manage to type a coherent answer. It's amazing what has been uncovered about hormones and eating behavior and mood-- kind of liberating in a way. I like your 7 suggestions very much. Although I was a 'protein person' with weight loss, I'm trying to come to terms with carbs on maintenance. How are you managing protein intake as a vegetarian?

Last edited by mars735; 03-17-2014 at 12:21 AM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:26 AM   #22  
banned

Hi Mars

Right now as we speak i'm eating a split pea green soup. I found out yesterday that split peas have 20 grams of protein per 100grams raw peas so i based my recipe one having 100grams per serve. See my thread if interested in the recipe.

Just before i had a cup of shredded vegies i bought in a packet with only balsamic vinegar on it.

I might need to eat some fruit later because i am going out and will probably feel hungry when i'm coming home.

The soup is pretty yummy.
But i will be eating more red lentils too which are also high in protein and i like them too. Couldn't get any in the supermarket today though. I'll have to go to the asian shop which sells lots of those sorts of products at a much better price than the supermarket.

Im just going to try having an egg at breakfast. Today i had one fried egg,on wholegrain toast, plus 1/2 cup yoghurt and a pear in together. It was a yummy breakfast.

Lunch was a can of sardines in a sandwich.

Today i don't have time to prepare foods much because i am out a lot. I'm heading out again in 40 minutes for the evening.

So i will try to eat more beans and lentils things. two meals a day if possible. There'll be a lot of vegies in one of them at least.
And more eggs. I might cut down on cows milk and increase yoghurt and try goast milk which is more expensive but is better for the animals and has higher protein than cows milk.

I will still have pasta and rice dishes but just try to make more of my meals bean/lentil based. I don't want to keep adding fish to my diet.

Oh i also bought peanuts and sunflower seeds. I will put sunflower seeds on my breakfast yoghurt. It will all be tricky keeping the calories down but i am not worrying too much about that right at the moment, while i am trying to solve my other problems going on right now.

Main thing re my diet is keep on sticking to the foods i chosen i can eat and eat healthy and not over do it. I'm finding it pretty easy to stick to my food regime but actually losing needs a bit more focus and attention which i can't' give it right now. I mean i can sit here and waste time on the computer but haven't got spare psychological energy for it.

Yes its hard to articulate what one knows about these hormones. They are complex matters. Yes i find it helpful knowing more. I don't like it that they have to do experiments on animals but that is what happens.

if you read that insulin article, i think it vaguely indicates how you can manage, although if you are diabetic or insulin resistant then i would take the advice of a dietician. I also found out that there is a difference between nutritionists and dieticians. The dieticians are better qualified. A bit higher up on the hierarchy. I know they often are employed in hospitals.

I didn't include any exercise in my list. I know its important but until i can fit it in, without adding stress or pressure to my day, its not part of the program, though i am doing it sometimes. Walking the dog and gardening. Just not registering it as DONE MY EXERCISE TODAY ETC. or must do three times a week and so on. I can't deal with that right now. I just do it when i want to.

Also small amounts of cheese and nuts to make things tasty and for a little extra protein.

Last edited by Pattience; 03-17-2014 at 03:36 AM.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:39 AM   #23  
Trying hard

Yesterday, day 3 was a bit like a school exam. I knew it was coming, I knew I wasn't going to like it and I knew I couldn't get out of it. But I also knew that after 24 hours it would go and here I am day 4 and tail up and wagging. I found your post on hormones really fascinating and helpful Pattience and also thanks Mars for sharing. I am learning so much from everyone on here.

Day 4 as I said, and just 3 shakes todat and a meal this evening. I'm having fish with a few veggies.
W.I. day for me is Friday morning.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:47 AM   #24  
diamondgeog

Dolly,

It gets so much better so quickly. You are literally changing yourself on the cellular level. From carb burning for fuel to fat burning for fuel. Then you can reap the benefits of that.

I personally never went really low on carbs but am definitely low carb high fat. Don't forget the fat. Filling and important for health.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:58 AM   #25  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

Bereavement can really unhinge you. In a really bad streak, last year I lost three close relatives and it pretty much undid all my WL work. I had trouble caring about eating right or doing anything when all I could do was sit in a wash of grief. Good for you for pulling yourself up and starting down the right path!
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:00 AM   #26  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydimple View Post
GOOD MORNING EVERYONE!

Firstly, I don't think I've ever met a friendlier and more encouraging bunch of folk than on here. Canadians Americans Australians and New Zealanders, I swear would take their shoes off and give them to you if you didn't have any. I have either visited their countries or worked with them and they were extremely easy to work with and a laugh a minute. Thank you so much for the support.. Right, upwards and onwards.

This morning I woke up with the 'third day carb withdrawal' headache. I was warned about this happening, and told that it was common on very low carb diets. Funny though, here I am with only 4 sachets of the formula a day and I don't feel hungry. I was also told that from today on, I will start to feel better. Hope so, because it is only8.50am and I feel so aweful I could go back to bed and pull the covers over my head
Oh yes...when I did a low carb plan I did ok until the third day. Then I promptly developed a migraine and involuntarily purged. Then it got better. Hoping it goes easier on you!
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:18 AM   #27  
banned

I think you mean the article on hormones right? I hope its that because i am sure i don't say anything terribly clarifying.

Anyway glad you are have got over the worst. I wish you well.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:01 PM   #28  
Trying hard

Sorry Pattience. I did mean hormones. That's what comes from writing on an empty head. My neighbour has just been diagnosed with diabetes so that's why I had insulin on my mind
Old 03-18-2014, 04:05 AM   #29  
Trying hard

Here I am on Day 5 and haven't cheated. And if you knew me well, you'd realize what a rare thing that is
Old 03-20-2014, 04:28 AM   #30  
Trying hard

Tomorrow morning is weigh in day for me, and I'm getting a bit nervous. I haven't felt hungry since day 3 so I hope it is working. I'll be happy to lose about 4-5 lbs. But to be honest, so long as I've lost a bit I shall be happy. I'd never heard of this new 'shake the weight' diet. My pal found it on line. It is, I believe, a British company, only sold on line, no sales people and much cheaper than Cambridge. The only downside, as far as I csee, is that you only have shakes, no soup. It is absolutely delicious. I hope so much, that I can lose a good bit of weight this first week, because I don't want to come off it